Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 221 total)
  • Older age and trendy! clothes
  • I hate rules.

Unfortunately, many of the “just wear what you like” posts on STW seem to be by the t-shirt, shorts and sandals/flip-flops brigade. It kind of an unwritten rule . . .

onewheelgood

I’ve been wearing jeans (Levi’s) and t-shirts for 45 years. Helps that I weigh the same at 61 as I did at 21. These days I’m sometimes found wearing walking trousers instead of the jeans.

johnx2
    Free Member

I find it shocking that of all the things people could find to talk about Trump, you have picked his clothes

nah. Trump’s hair, hue, clothes and demeanor together demonstrate that appearances are not always deceptive.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Unfortunately, many of the “just wear what you like” posts on STW seem to be by the t-shirt, shorts and sandals/flip-flops brigade. It kind of an unwritten rule . . .

it’s not so much rules as ‘past caring’ and ‘given up’ but that’s not as bad as ‘middle aged’ wearing teenage clothes with big logos.
    That really is a crime especially if hair gel and fake tan are involved.

avoid fashion and stick to style, you get more value/wear out of your clothes that way.

i’m looking forward to smarting up and going out at some point, i don’t think i have ironed a shirt since lockdown.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Too many folk reach the age/shape that requires a fat man dress now. Have a bit of pride man.

grum
    Free Member

Universal Works feature some older models that look pretty cool IMO

https://universalworks.co.uk

LAT

Nothing sinister. they are jeans made by prison inmates in Oregon.

sounds pretty sinister.

wear what you want. Other than a T-shirt that says “Old Guys Rule” in the front.

Blackflag
    Free Member

FWIW I think its good to still wear nice stuff if you are going for a specific style. Like those Universal models. It works.

Where is goes wrong is when you either try and dress like a teenager / youth or you go for that low end “fashion” look you see so many middle aged men with at designer outlets. You know the one – Skinny jeans, Dolce and Gabbana logo T-shirt, hair gel and tan. Urghh

funkmasterp

i don’t think i have ironed a shirt since 1997

olddog

No skinny jeans

johnx2
    Free Member

wear what you want. Other than a T-shirt that says “Old Guys Rule” in the front.

…and crocks.

When you’re pushing 30 it’s probably right to avoid looking like you’re trying to be down with the kids. By the time you’re pushing 60 no one’s going to think you’re trying to look young. They’re not going to think anything at all.

I guess most generations as they age stick with a version of what they wore when young, boomer kit being jeans/shorts, t-shirs and trainers…

nickc

I find it shocking that of all the things people could find to talk about Trump, you have picked his clothes.

I find that very very wrong.

On a thread about clothes? Given that Trump wears some bad clothes badly… why would that be shocking to you?

You have seen the Donald! Trump! thread that’s been running for 4 years, right?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Universal Works feature some older models that look pretty cool IMO

They do some nice unstructured ‘workwear’ style suits, i have a few and unlike normal suits they age well as they wear and they use a lot of UK fabrics like Brisbane Moss from Lancashire.

papamountain
    Free Member

At 47 too, I agree with camo shorts and t-shirts (although i did just buy several adidas t-shirts to replace my 10 year old ones that have seen better days. I didn’t throw out the old ones mind) Jeans and t-shirts/sweatshirts when it’s colder.

Skinny jeans? NO!
    Sandals/crocs/flip flops? NO! – Still sporting Gazelles or skate shoes.

oldfart

OK here goes, 64 years old, usual get up either a hoody or a flannel check shirt and Levis with skate shoes, or Baggy shorts in the Summer. Been that way for yonks and don’t give a flying f@@@ what anybody thinks mainly because I know nobody looks twice at somebody my age anyway 🙄
    Being an original Skin from 1969 I did treat myself to a Harrington, Ben Sherman, Tonic Sta Prest and Oxblood DMs a couple years back, still looks smart now, if I had enough occasion to wear it I’d love to get a Crombie again.
    The thing I really don’t get is the torn jeans thing, it’s gotten ridiculous now more holes than material 🙄 Wonder what advertising genius cooked that one up? Probably the same one who persuaded people years ago to pay for bottled water 🙄
    I can just imagine the sales pitch ” If we make these jeans that are all torn to buggery that a tramp would turn his nose up at kids will rush to buy them” Cue hoots of derision 🙄🙄🙄

nickc

The thing I really don’t get is the torn jeans thing

It's called fashion, Brenda – Media 104

oldfart

Cheers nick thanks for clearing that up, who’s Brenda BTW? 😁

dannyh
    Free Member

I wonder what The Donald’s call sign was in that picture up there ^^^^^.

Mind you, I don’t think the USAF would want the word ‘****’ stenciled on the side of a F15.

Maybe ‘Syrup’?

nealglover
    Free Member

I find it shocking that of all the things people could find to talk about Trump, you have picked his clothes.

Yes of course, it would make FAR more sense to say ..

wear what you like but make sure it’s a good fit. Take Trump for example, his attitudes towards low income Families and minorities are disgusting

That’s better isn’t it. ?

dannyh
    Free Member

I saw a bloke who must have been 55+ the other day walking to the pub down the road. Half mast tight trousers, no socks, boat shoes, shirt, jacket.

I thought he was trying a mite too hard, if I’m honest.

I also suspect there may have been a young, attractive female shop assistant from a boutique store out that evening, spending some commission.

footflaps

no socks, boat shoes

Never understood shoes without socks, just from a practicality POV.

nickc

who’s Brenda BTW?

The unfashionable one (unlike us, obvs)

grum
    Free Member

They do some nice unstructured ‘workwear’ style suits, i have a few and unlike normal suits they age well as they wear and they use a lot of UK fabrics like Brisbane Moss from Lancashire.

Yeah they seem like a good company. I have a UK made jumper from them and a couple of shirts made in Portugal. I fancy a Harris Tweed chore jacket. 🙂

Eg https://www.peggsandson.com/bakers-chore-jacket-harris-tweed-charcoal

LAT

Never understood shoes without socks, just from a practicality POV.

The same is true for sandals and socks and sandals have acceptable since Agnès B put them on the catwalk.

DrP

What an odd reply… this is a thread LITERALLY talking about fashion. I made the comment that badly fitted clothes look terrible, and gave trump a an example. He’s wearing a suit, probably v pricey and lovely materials no doubt, but it looks awful… because it’s a terrible cut.
    He’s also a daft, dangerous, terrible man.
    But that’s not the topic here, is it.. sigh!

DrP

paulneenan76
    Free Member

What is it with grown men and Crocs. There is no other item of clothing that says “I’ve given up on having sex”.

Ripped jeans is fine but overweight and bulges coming out of ripped jeans? The horror.

footflaps

The same is true for sandals and socks

I wear sandals and socks nearly every day, brilliant combo!

aP
    Free Member

Hmmm.. I have quite a bit of UW, including suits and other stuff. For me now I find a lot of their stuff too young for me. Which is kind of why I’ve gone to Cabourn. But then I also wear a lot of agnës b.

kayak23

I was wearing my favourite old Ramones t-shirt the other day..I’m 47

The other half teaches Art Foundation and had a teenage girl in class wearing a Ramones tee the other day too.

The difference? I was there man!!!

Gabba gabba hey 🤘

LAT

I wear sandals and socks nearly every day, brilliant combo!

it’s so good and upsets so many people who possibly don’t now why it upsets them. Not that I like upsetting people, but I do like to think of myself as some kind of a sartorial iconoclast.

Cougar

Not wearing socks is kinda grim. I’ve just thrown out a pair of sandals after putting them through the washing machine and them still being sufficiently ripe afterwards for me to go “jesus!” every time I opened the cupboard door.

grum
    Free Member

I do like to think of myself as some kind of a sartorial iconoclast

Pics pls

Cougar

She doesn’t, but she reckons i’m ‘country chic’

You sure you heard her correctly? (-:

I’ve been wearing jeans (Levi’s) and t-shirts for 45 years. Helps that I weigh the same at 61 as I did at 21. These days I’m sometimes found wearing walking trousers instead of the jeans.

Same here, only I’m 13 years younger than you. Jeans, Craghoppers when it’s warmer and shorts begrudgingly when it’s really warm. Tee-shirts of varying provenance, currently wearing this:

No skinny jeans

You say that but, it’s really difficult to find alternatives (or was last time I looked a year or two back). You average department store has a choice of skinny / super-skinny / stretch / extra-super-skinny / second skin / down to the bone.

Finding regular-fit jeans on the high street was something of a challenge.

CountZero

avoid fashion and stick to style, you get more value/wear out of your clothes that way.

I just stick to what I like, and spend enough on it to make sure it lasts a long time, plus I have enough different items to not wear stuff out quickly. I was wearing a long-sleeved tee shirt I bought at a gig in 1989, it still fits just fine. Same goes for jeans, shirts, jackets, etc.

Finding regular-fit jeans on the high street was something of a challenge.

That’s where you’re going wrong, the average high street doesn’t sell jeans of a decent quality or variety, about the only places I know that do a reasonably wide range are skate/surf shops, and Uniqlo, and they only have outlets in London. I did try some of their selvedge Japanese denim jeans on when in London, which was good, because they size small in the waist, I’m a 32, but a 34 fitted perfectly. Leg length was spot on, though.
    Their regular relaxed fit are just like classic 501’s, without any fancy stitching, and I recommend them highly, plus they’re very competitively priced.

That photo above of Angry Tinkerbell at a podium made me laugh, he can’t even wear a flying jacket without looking a tit! I’m not even sure it’s a genuine military issue jacket, either.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

No man over 50 should ever be seen outdoors in a leather jacket,Jeans, trainers(unless running)or silly tee shirts.Think of other people who have to witness your lack of taste.Men over 60 I would recommend always wear a suit shirt and tie.It hides a multitude of sins.

fossy

I draw the line at sandals…. proper old man shoes.

fossy

PS no skinny jeans – I’m surprised any cyclist can get them over their calves ot thighs. I used to love 501 Jeans, but after about 18-20 years old couldn’t get them on. Too much cycling.

Cougar

That’s where you’re going wrong

Where would you suggest I go right that doesn’t involve a half-kilometre round trip to buy a pair of pants?

No man over 50 should ever be seen outdoors in a leather jacket,Jeans, trainers(unless running)or silly tee shirts.

Well that’s my complete wardrobe resoundly ****ed in the 18 months time then.

Men over 60 I would recommend always wear a suit shirt and tie.

I’d rather not leave the house. Why on earth would anyone wear a small noose around their neck voluntarily in this day and age? I begrudge it at funerals let alone as casual wear.

Cougar

It hides a multitude of sins.

And, eh, speak for yourself if you’re a fat knacker but I don’t have any sins to hide. I’m the same waist I was when I was 18.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I doubt that.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 221 total)

The topic ‘Older age and trendy! clothes’ is closed to new replies.