Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 221 total)
  • Older age and trendy! clothes
  • Premier Icon LAT

this is a great thread.

i’ve just noticed that the OP wants to wear in public the clothes that he wears to jive but is worried that they may be too trendy. Jive? the dance from over half a century ago? Just to put your mind at rest, you will not look too trendy.

Camo shorts? i think their popularity with folk in their late 40’s is something to do with their unconscious mind acknowledging that they no longer stand out in society, perhaps even invisible to those younger than themselves.

someone up there asked for photos showing my iconoclastic approach to fashion. i have to admit that i may have exaggerated my dress sense.

Premier Icon nstpaul

Bright is right

Its an attitude thing, old enough not to care about being too old (48 years young) 😊

Premier Icon tazzymtb

i say, wear the bloody hell you like. life is too short and precious to fanny about worrying what others think. if wearing an amazing vera wang outfit with a tiara and doc martens does it for you and makes YOU happy, sod it, step with confidence and have a great day. If wearing a pretty standard societal uniform for age rocks you boat, that is equally awesome.

Humans are amazing, diverse, wonderful, creative things at their best and life should be celebrated for all its mad cammo-shorted cravat wearing joyfulness.

No one has any control of life and it can throw an utter spanner in the works at any time, so stop worrying about how others percieve you and enjoy being you. we are all a long time dead.

Premier Icon monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

But not in my presence. I don’t wish to be subjected to visions of excess fat and tattoos, crocs or mutton dressed as lamb.An eyesore is an eyesore.

Premier Icon Cougar

I still don’t understand why Cougar and footflaps think it’s acceptable to be seen in public with the Sartorial elegance of a 12 year old.

I don’t understand why you care.

Which, eh, was my point in the first place.

But not in my presence. I don’t wish to be subjected to visions of excess fat and tattoos, crocs or mutton dressed as lamb.An eyesore is an eyesore.

I don’t have any of those things. And if I did, the problem would be yours.

Heaven forefend that you might clap eyes on an overweight person, would you like me to look into counselling for your PTSD?

Premier Icon Cougar

I think we’ve reached a point in the discussion where you need to stump up photographs of your elegance before we continue.

Premier Icon djc1245
    Free Member

i really have the urge to dress in the old skinhead gear. Ben Sherman/or Fred Perry, levis, dm’s and braces. Probably feel a millions dollars, look a right t**t. Always wanted a union jack jacket like the Jam. 56 by the way

Premier Icon CountZero

No man over 50 should ever be seen outdoors in a leather jacket,Jeans, trainers(unless running)or silly tee shirts.Think of other people who have to witness your lack of taste.Men over 60 I would recommend always wear a suit shirt and tie.It hides a multitude of sins.

You write fashion articles for the Daily Mail, and I claim my €5. Either that, or you unfortunately left of the 😉 at the end of your snarky comment.
    If you’re serious, then you’ve basically described me, at the age of 66, and you’ve made a serious error there.

Free Member

Cougar should try and be less defensive and develop some of djc’s ambition.Scruffy to the grave is a bit depressing.

Premier Icon CountZero

Cougar at al have a lovely attitude towards other people.I,m sensing destructive neurotic personality type.Grum points the way to their problem.

No problem, other than with the likes of you.

I still don’t understand why Cougar and footflaps think it’s acceptable to be seen in public with the Sartorial elegance of a 12 year old.Do you not want to set a good example to the youth of the district?This country needs to smarten up.

See, there you go again! You seem to think that there’s some sort of rule book that people have to abide by when it comes to what they wear, in order to meet the approval of you, and people like you.
    Sorry, but who died and made you Elvis? If you’re actually serious, then you’re an unmitigated snob, and I have nothing but contempt for you, and your ilk.
    Like Cougar, I’m coming up short on the number of ****’s I couldn’t give for you or your opinions on what I wear. I will continue to wear what the hell I like with no regard for the opinion of anyone else, and if the circumstances call for dressing reasonably smart, I can do so, but those occasions are very few and far between.
    I’m currently wearing a pair of black Route One cargo shorts, a baggy Troy Lee Designs long-sleeve tee shirt that’s well over twenty years old, probably nearer thirty, a Wrangler denim shirt over that, and Meindle Desert Fox ex-British Army combat boots, the most comfortable footwear after Vans skate shoes I’ve ever owned.
    As far as the ‘youth of the district’ are concerned, they’re free to wear what the **** they like, if I tried wearing what you seem to think appropriate in order to influence them, they’d just point at me in the street and laugh!

Bwahahahahahahaha! What a sad little man you are!. I’m probably skinnier than you are, I walk five or six miles a day as part of my job, although I do have tattoos; but so did most of the royal families of Europe, so I’m in extremely good company.
    I do wear a pair of Crocs analogues around the house and garden, but I wouldn’t want to walk into town wearing them, not comfy enough.
    Interesting username, ‘monkeyseemonkeydo’, considering its origin…

Premier Icon Cougar

Cougar should try and be less defensive and develop some of djc’s ambition.Scruffy to the grave is a bit depressing.

I’m not defensive. I’m comfortable and have nothing to prove.

Photos or wind your neck in.

Premier Icon Cougar

Also,

We’ve both been here a long old time and a) I generally consider CZ to be of higher ‘class’ than me despite the shit I might give him to the contrary and b) I think that’s the first time I’ve ever seen him go off on one.

He’s still a prick for wearing Crocs though. (-:

Free Member

Definitely.I think count zero also has anger issues. As to justifying his tattoos with mentions of royal families that just shows how sad he is.LIKE PEOPLE WHO TRY TO FIT IN WITH SLOBS IN ASDA.

Premier Icon tazzymtb

“But not in my presence. I don’t wish to be subjected to visions of excess fat and tattoos, crocs or mutton dressed as lamb.An eyesore is an eyesore”

then i’m afraid it would suggest that you either excell at being a boring little troll or have a very twisted perception of the world and some self esteem issues.

Its definately time for some photos of you dressed in your finest for others to judge. I and I’m sure cougar, count zero and others are more than happy to do the same.

so come on monkeycmonkeydo, lets see you strut your stuff

Premier Icon BillMC

Before Elizabeth 1st the crown would tour with entourage and nobles often bankrupting their host. Eliz stopped that and nobles had to come to London ‘for the season’ and to get noticed by royals you needed to dress and wig up. Until the Tudor period generally people wore the ‘uniform’ that corresponded with their occupation/role and these were meant to be enforced by ‘sumptuary’ laws.
    Since then dress has been symbolic of status, snobbery, ostentation, aspiration, inverted snobbery, upward and downward social mobility. It also has localised reference points. I happened across a group of traditional skinhead styles amongst Italian students in Venice, I’m sure ‘NF’ for them meant nothing whereas skinhead styles in some English towns sends out a very different message. There’s a well developed two-tone scene in China. Try wearing a blue vest in Australia. 40 years ago you could spot a surfer by the tags/style of their clothes and then suddenly everyone everywhere was wearing it. A Barbour and English brogues used to be a sign of landed privilege and then I used to watch the fans going in at the Arsenal dressed like this, I don’t think they were fresh off the farm. Michael Young (the nice father of the awful son) referred to it as ‘stratified diffusion’. One of the few items of clothing to be upwardly mobile was the bowler hat, originally developed for gamekeepers and then became an essential item of the, or wannabe, middle classes.
    Clothing then is functional and symbolic so the fashion industry is forever trying to change the parameters to get you to buy more. Despising someone’s clothes is a perhaps more ‘acceptable’ form of prejudice and aggression, it’s often about ridiculing someone’s poverty or aspirations. Crocs might be a very healthy and functional FU to the fashion industry and the hierarchy of workwear. Wear what you want, in whatever combination forms your style, avoid outside labels, get the best crocs and camos you can afford and wear them to death, yours or theirs.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

I don’t despise anyone for their clothes (ok, maybe some people 😛 ) but I think people who claim not to judge on appearance to any degree are kidding themselves.

I also think it’s fair to feel negatively towards fast fashion and cheap disposable clothing made in sweatshops with poor environmental standards etc. People used to either make clothes themselves or save up for items like good boots or a warm jacket, then wear them out/repair/resole them and pass them on.

I think buying fewer high quality items and looking after/mending them has got to be a good thing. We’ve got too used to the idea that clothing should be cheap, but our resistance to a significant initial purchase price means that actually we are just building up lots of hidden costs down the line.

Free Member

+1

Premier Icon tjagain

An stw clothes thread. What fun.

Its beyond doubt that the British are some of the worst dressed people on earth. Go to France or italy and compare

40 yr old band teeshirts on a 50 year old man? Ridiculous. You are not a teenager

Consider Clarkson to be a style icon and copy his sports jacket and Jean’s combo. Have you ever looked in a mirror?

Cougar and his ilk we have to accept as computer nerds so long as they are free of food stains but more to be pitied than admired

Jean’s? Levi 501 red label acceptable if you are under 30. Anything else just say no

I bet half of you have mullets

Trainers? Only if you are running. Get some proper shoes but do remember brogues are for the country

Dress like a punk? Punk died 40 years ago. Grow up.

There is a special place in hell kept for those who wear biker leathers but do not have a bike

Premier Icon gauss1777
    Free Member

This thread would be so, so, much better with pics!

Premier Icon Coyote
    Free Member

Jean’s? Levi 501 red label acceptable if you are under 30. Anything else just say no

*yawn*

Premier Icon BillMC

Note the difference between ‘note’ and judge. For many people clothes don’t register as important at all, I guess you could judge them on that but not by their clothes.

Premier Icon inkster
    Free Member

Ok tj, I’ll bite.

It is without doubt that the British are some of the best dressed people in the world.

As Bill pointed out, in Britain there is a history of using clothes to subvert the rigid class structures. The first post war youth cult was the teddy boys, whose moniker and style was a take on Edwardian attire, specifically lampooning the way in which the Posh students at Eaton dressed.

Britain is the magpie of the fashion world, taking clothing from around the world and exploiting them for their symbolic and semiotic potential. We have more freedom to express who we are through what we wear than any another country I can think of. The UK has appropriated and reinvented styles from elswehere and created an enormous number of fashion movements that have global impact.

Go to Italy and all the youth look like they are dressed by their Mum. You will see a fair few hip kids dressed in UK mod and skinhead style but it’s a Carnaby St version of a movement, preserved in aspic. They too look like they’ve been dressed like their Mum.

Went to Madrid a couple of years back and stayed in Malasana, the trendy quarter. Everyone wore either a pair of Vans or Converse with tight jeans and a T shirt, a facsimile of cool without a skate board in sight. Suffocationgly conformist and conservative. They also looked like they could had been dressed like their mums. When we got back, standing on the platform on Stratford Station it really struck me how differently from each other my fellow passengers were dressed, not necessarily in terms of trendiness but certainly in terms of individuality.

Premier Icon tenfoot

It’s easy for me. My wife works in H&M and gets a 25% discount, so I wear whatever I can get away with from there.

Premier Icon funkmasterp

Sweet another clothing thread. Have we had some sad bastard saying “no jeans if you’re over 40” and “Shorts and t-shirts are for children” yet? If we have then that person can piss off! Jeans are a simple staple of any wardrobe. The alternative is trousers. My grandad wears trousers and he is dead.

For what it’s worth I agree with Tazzy. Wear what you want, you’re not hurting anyone and if what you wear makes you happy just go for it.

Not many folk give a shit what you wear. Those that do are the ones with the issue. Anybody that follows rules for dressing (or cycling attire) is somebody I feel deep pity for. Their lives must be sadly devoid of anything of worth.

Edit – who the hell gets a cold neck? Hands, nose, yeah makes sense. Neck, really? Even then the thought process is “ooh, my neck is cold. Where’s my tie?” Some of you lot are really **** weird 😂

The Clarkson thing is annoying too. He looks like he does because he’s a complete **** of a man. He’d look the same no matter what he was wearing. Can’t hide ****ishness

Premier Icon Coyote
    Free Member

Have we had some sad bastard saying “no jeans if you’re over 40”

The usual suspect…

Anybody that follows rules for dressing (or cycling attire) is somebody I feel deep pity for. Their lives must be sadly devoid of anything of worth.

I couldn’t agree more. Agree with most of what Inkster said apart from that I find many of our cousins on the mainland stylish and innovative too.

Premier Icon ctk

Quality jeans a plain T Shirt and you cant go far wrong IMO.

Free Member

^Folks on here can’t even manage that after 40 years of practice.

Premier Icon frankconway

It is without doubtpossible that a fewthe British men are some of the might be amongst the best dressed people in the world.

FTFY

Premier Icon Cougar

i say, wear the bloody hell you like. life is too short and precious to fanny about worrying what others think. if wearing an amazing vera wang outfit with a tiara and doc martens does it for you and makes YOU happy, sod it, step with confidence and have a great day. If wearing a pretty standard societal uniform for age rocks you boat, that is equally awesome.

Precisely what I was trying to say only more eloquently.

i really have the urge to dress in the old skinhead gear. Ben Sherman/or Fred Perry, levis, dm’s and braces. Probably feel a millions dollars, look a right t**t. Always wanted a union jack jacket like the Jam. 56 by the way

Brexit Chic?

Try wearing a blue vest in Australia

I don’t get this reference, sorry. Can you elaborate?

^Folks on here can’t even manage that after 40 years of practice.

Still waiting on your pics.

Premier Icon cynic-al

Definitely pics from everyone, except tj, he’s clearly just having a laugh.

Premier Icon frankconway

Wearing a union jack jacket will cause people to think of you as a farage supporter – a rabid brexiteer.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

I’m currently in shorts and sandals so no pics from me right now 😛

Premier Icon mrsheen
    Free Member

Corduroy FTW?

Premier Icon djc1245
    Free Member

Wearing a union jack jacket will cause people to think of you as a farage supporter – a rabid brexiteer.

Thats why i haven’t got one. Would have a few years back, but Farage has ruined that plan.

Premier Icon Cougar

Corduroy FTW?

Could be coming back into fashion. I believe Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

Premier Icon voodoo_chile
    Free Member

I have a corduroy shirt and I don’t give a f***..
    Wear what u want, when u want, I will use a word possibly not many of you will know “meff” when a kid in your area didn’t have trainers of the appropriate type
    Cruel kids.. We were all there once

Premier Icon frankconway

djc1245, so you’re also ruling out these…
    https://images.app.goo.gl/JhWqZzaRsgi6LdLB6

Premier Icon jezzasnr
    Free Member

Based primarily on this thread, had a little think about what I was going to wear when I got back from my ride.
    That and the comment up thread about having a partner that always looks wonderful, and wanting to look smart for them. No pressure, she would of been quite happy if I’d spent the rest of the day in ride kit!
    Anyway. A few key things for me (53)
    Must haves…
    Good boots. 2 pairs. Red Wings & Danners
    Good jeans. I’ve got 3 pairs. Hiut Denim & Albam. 1 smart pair that I’m running in. 1 part worn. 1 just the comfortable side of tatty. There aren’t many occasions they font cover between them. There are trousers for when they don’t.
    Shirts. Lots. Finisterre, Howies + few others.
    I live just outside Bude so see plenty of board shorts, tees & hoody. It’s not always done well.
    I’d like to think I look ok most of the time, but it’s easy to just get a little lazy, especially through the summer we’ve all had.
    For me, there no question that I feel better when I’ve made a bit of an effort. Maybe that’s vanity, but I do hope not.
    As with most things, I’m happy to spend a little more to get something i really like, but each to their own.

Premier Icon tails
    Free Member

I was looking at a few middle age people today whilst in town. People who have given up look way worse as they don’t just swap jeans for trousers they swap fitted clothes for pieces Of cloth that swamp their body. The best thing you can do is keep in shape, easier said than done. If all else fails go and buy what the mannequin wears. Somebody trained dressed that.

Premier Icon inkster
    Free Member

I’m past 50, have a few more pairs of trainers than I really need (N+1 and all that) but even I draw the line at Converse. The death knell was when I saw Eddie Jordan wearing them on C4 a couple of years back.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 221 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.