Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 221 total)
  • Older age and trendy! clothes
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Should there be a cut off age when you think ‘okay that’s it, time for the elasticated waist slacks’?
    I need a s##t ton of clothes, I’m retired and I’m 60. So straight away I’m looking at new Converse, new pair of Prison Blues and new 50’s style black and white saddle back bowling shoes. Plus T shirts.
    And for the first time in my life I feel slightly conscious of dressing like this. Then again I love looking at the trendy older men and women down here.
    Is this were it can all go down hill?

hols2
    Free Member

Should there be a cut off age when you think ‘okay that’s it, time for the elasticated waist slacks’?

Yep.

the-muffin-man

You know it’s time…

trailwagger
    Free Member

I stopped paying any attention to fashion at about the age of 30 (when i became a father). Nowadays i just buy functional clothes that are a good balance between quality and cost.

Edit – just to add that I also think fashion is for young people who are still trying to find out who they are and express themselves through there outward appearance. Once you are over that you realise that how you look is unimportant to you and you become comfortable however you look. Either that or I am dead inside.

nickc

Wear what you want, no one (but you) cares. If people tell you there are “rules” these only apply to themselves, not others.

Crack on

the-muffin-man

There does seem to be no middle ground on the high street though between Love Island tight trousers look and M&S comfy range though. Unless you want the posh-gent chino look.

I’m 52 and my daughter is giving me grief for buying DC trainers! 🙂

fasthaggis

Where WTF you like .

You are old and ugly enough to make big person choices in clothing.

HTH

TheBrick
    Free Member

Go for what makes you happy.

oldgit
    Free Member

Should say both of us jive (or did pre lockdown) three or more times a week. Loved the kit and quality and it drifted into my day to day wear.

binners

Every bloke over the age of 40 is effectively invisible to the rest of society anyway, so wear what the hell you like.

One of the benefits of lockdown is that I’ve only worn shorts, T-shirts, and sandals since March. I had to put a pair of jeans and a shirt on yesterday to go to an actual meeting. I felt it was a gross infringement that I had to go to such an effort. It was horrible!

oldgit
    Free Member

You are right of course.

Coyote
    Free Member

Wear what you feel comfortable in.

lunge

I remember reading somewhere that a man’s taste in clothes is set in stone at around 30 years old. the style you wear then is roughly what you’ll wear forever. That plays into the fact that there’s a very big difference between “trendy” clothes and “nice” clothes.

I’m 40, I’m certainly not trendy in any way, but I do like nice clothes, you don’t need to give up just yet!

lunge

One of the benefits of lockdown is that I’ve only worn shorts, T-shirts, and sandals since March. I had to put a pair of jeans and a shirt on yesterday to go to an actual meeting. I felt it was a gross infringement that I had to go to such an effort. It was horrible!

And this, this is so true. I started a new job over lockdown, all remote, it felt very odd doing my first day in a pair of gym shorts and a t-shirt.
    Friday I may have to put a suit on. I’m not happy at all.

Caher

I remember reading somewhere that a man’s taste in clothes is set in stone at around 3 years old. the style you wear then is roughly what you’ll wear forever.

True, I’ve been wearing a pink rabbit onesie ever since.

DezB
    Free Member

“Trendy” clothes would be what the yoot wear. So either trackies and chunky trainers (costing £200+) or drainpipe (I dunno what they call em these days do I?!) trousers at half mast, no socks and (probably) loafers.
    I reckon you could get away with the trackies (I wouldn’t be seen dead in the grey, baggy crotched ones, personally)…. but then again an all black hooded tracksuit, with a Nike manbag .. probably not eh.
    When you say “trendy” you don’t really mean it, cos there’s no way you could dress like a yoot.

(Disclaimer: Not the definitive “trend” in the UK, just what I’ve seen kidz wearing about the place :P)

lunge

Edited @caher, now that would be a strong look!

kerley
    Free Member

The one rule is don’t wear anything that you wore the first time it was fashionable.

I am still wearing contemporary styles of clothes and always have done (now 52). Can’t really see that changing. I am not sure what happens to activate the “everything must be shades of beige and have no style” selection approach that happens to many older men.

BillOddie

Wear what you want!

I seem to wear either gym gear (ath-leisure I believe is the current term) or jeans (athletic fit for the big thighs I’m blessed with), Vans and Flannel shirts.

Office clothes have been put away until I have to grace the office with my presence again…

scotroutes

Here’s the thing – I’ve no idea of what is trendy and what isn’t. I buy and wear clothes I want to wear. Mostly that means shorts and t-shirts so I guess pretty neutral.

kerley
    Free Member

Here’s the thing – I’ve no idea of what is trendy and what isn’t.

The shops you buy from are a big clue. Are you at the Zara end or the M&S end.

DrP

I’d say wear whatever STYLE you like, but for the love of bejhezus, make sure it fits…
    Wear the right size, nicely fitted to your frame. How the clothes FIT is SOOOOOO much more important than whatever style or label is on the front.

Of course, this is easier to pull off if you’ve a decent build/frame, but pleae do try!

DrP

(I’m not shallow etc..but Trump is a classic. His clothes are AWFUL, purely because they are SUCH a bad fit/cut)

fasthaggis

His clothes are AWFUL, purely because they are SUCH a bad fit/cut)

No,the clothes look awful because he is a badly designed human,so all clothes feel so bad that they change shape as they try to escape his evil form.

johnx2
    Free Member

Wear what you want, no one (but you) cares.

Crack Crock on

finbar
    Free Member

OP – I don’t know what ‘Prison Blues’ are and I’m a bit reticent to google them on my work computer 😀

easily
    Free Member

When I’m choosing clothes (general everyday wear, rather than something smart) my first thought is “will I be able to hop on my bike/kick a football around/embarrass my niece by pinching her skateboard while wearing this?”
    If the answer is ‘no’ then I don’t get it.

jambourgie
    Free Member

“The one rule is don’t wear anything that you wore the first time it was fashionable.”

I dunno, I’m still wearing Nike Air Max, just as I was as a teenager in the 90’s 🙂

I’d say the one rule is don’t get fat, married or have kids! Or use the word ‘trendy’ EVER 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

1,4,5,6 and 8.

https://thechap.co.uk/the-chap-manifesto/

(That said, currently sporting a white t-shirt, Patagucci board shorts and flip flops!)

oldgit
    Free Member

Finbar. Nothing sinister. they are jeans made by prison inmates in Oregon.

mogrim

Trump is a classic. His clothes are AWFUL, purely because they are SUCH a bad fit/cut

The problem is that he’s trying to conceal the fact he’s obese, which leads to the weird cut.

Are you at the Zara end or the M&S end.

Definitely Zara, but then it’s cheaper 🙂

Cougar

I do like nice clothes, you don’t need to give up just yet!

This being STW I’m surprised there’s not been a string of responses telling you that clothes are just a tool to do a job and if you’re not wearing a 25 year old Global Hypercolour tee-shirt that’s more patches than original fabric then you’ve failed at life.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’m probably a bit more conscious of what I’m wearing than some my age but I think the trick is to have a spouse who A. knows what she’s talking about and B. happy to tell you when you look a right tit!

Coyote
    Free Member

I think the trick is to have a spouse who A. knows what she’s talking about and B. happy to tell you when you look a right tit!

This works for me. Thankfully my OH has excellent taste.

stripeysocks
    Free Member

IIRC poor old Lydon is looking after his dementia-suffering wife, if that’s true he’s got every reason to hit the pies and dress for comfort (eating is pretty effective for stress reduction and kills you a lot slower than the alternatives!).

If you like what you see in the mirror go for it… Life is too short FGS

thegeneralist
    Free Member

(I’m not shallow etc..but Trump is a classic. His clothes are AWFUL, purely because they are SUCH a bad fit/cut)

Erm yes you are. To me that exemplifies all that is wrong with people who try to dress well/ be fashionable.

I find it shocking that of all the things people could find to talk about Trump, you have picked his clothes.

I find that very very wrong.

wait4me

Don’t bother, we won’t be allowed out this winter, so just sit around the house in trackie bottoms or shorts like everyone else. And if you’re that old you’re unlikely to get much wear out of new purchases!

Decent quality, sans label, usually bought from a sale (probably be plenty of discounting this year) classics for me. Gents attire doesn’t change much so I’m happy paying a little more for something like a John Smedley top as it’ll last. Still wearing basic black crew necks that are 15 years old. Works out more economical than stuff that looks crap after half a dozen washes.

aP
    Free Member

I hate rules.
    That said my current clothing choices are veering between t-shirts, climbing short-longuns and sandals, and Nigel Cabourn.
    Don’t know where that leaves me, TBH.

binners

I find that as long as you accessorize with the right cravat, you can wear pretty much anything

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Uniform, eh?

freeagent
    Free Member

47 and a bit fat here – i seem to live in Gap cammo shorts and a collection of scruffy T-shirts at the moment.
    My wife and I had a discussion on this a couple of days ago – she asked me if i thought she had a particular ‘style’ which she generally dresses to..
    She doesn’t, but she reckons i’m ‘country chic’ with a wardrobe full of flannel shirts, faded jeans, T-shirts, etc.

I’d say wear what you like.. i’m sure i’ll still be wearing cammo shorts and scruffy T-shirts into retirement.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 221 total)

The topic ‘Older age and trendy! clothes’ is closed to new replies.