Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 221 total)
  • Older age and trendy! clothes
  • Cougar

I doubt that.

Doubt what you like.

I have many failings but being overweight is not one of them. If anything I have the opposite problem, I can’t put weight on for trying. As an adult, at my heaviest I was 11.5 stone and at my lightest 9.5st, I’m currently somewhere in the middle of those two ‘extremes.’ (I went from the former to the latter inside of a week thanks to glandular fever and never quite recovered).

dovebiker

I was wearing my favourite old Ramones t-shirt the other day..I’m 47

I saw the Ramones about 1984 – they we’re stoned out their heads and frankly one of the worst gigs I’d ever been too – clearly well past their best. I suspect anyone who says how great the Ramones were never saw them actually play.

BillMC

You can’t do cheap, disposable or slogans when you’re older, style not fashion. I’m a fan of Donegal tweed but then average it down with the odd purchase from Ebay. Around the house it’s workwear. My Mrs is a hobby sewist so every now and then I get a William Morris shirt or straight jeans (can’t stand elasticated, bleached, ripped or skinny.) I’m ‘actively discouraged’ from sandals and round here you wouldn’t wear boat shoes (or red trousers or rugby shirt with collar up) unless you were a wannabe scodger.
    Buy the best you can afford and wear it out.

jonnyboi

I find it shocking that of all the things people could find to talk about Trump, you have picked his clothes.

I find that very very wrong.

Really? In a conversation about clothes he gave a classic example that most people will have seen. Were you hoping he would hijack the thread and talk about BLM, global warming and water sports instead?

But yeah OP, wear want you like but just make sure it fits. And experiment with colours you wouldn’t normally try.

Not sure about the hatred for ties and cravats*. They keep your neck warm in winter better than those bulky scarfs which seem to have become a fashion accessory amongst the younger, bearded gentlemanry.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Anyone here tried threads.com?

I`m dipping my toe now and finding it quite good. Its effectively an online style guru. You enter some details about how you look, size, hair colour etc. Tell it some styles and item you like then the website throws back some complete looks and links to buy the individual items.

erictwinge
    Free Member

look at simon cowel. he probably spends an absolute mint on his clobber. those awful baggy jeans and tight v-neck jumpers… not trendy, to everyone else his ensemble is a gopping disaster! He doesnt car care tho, He thinks he looks the business.

i do often wonder at what point my grandads started wearing beige slacks and m&s knitwear, was it the fashion when they were in their 30’s?

and in turn whether ill still be knocking about in skinny jeans when im 80…!?

kayak23

Anyone here tried threads.com? their wife?

I`m dipping my toe now and finding it her quite good. Its she’s effectively a n online  style guru. You enter some details express little interest about how you look, size, hair colour etc. Tell it she tells you some styles and items you like then the website wife throws back some complete looks and links to strongly suggests you buy the individual items.

Ftfy

DezB
    Free Member

I saw the Ramones about 1984

Ramones t-shirts are usually worn by people who don’t even know who the Ramones are. Best avoided really! (Nearest to “Trendy” that’s been mentioned in this thread though I do believe 🙂 )

(yeah yeah, I shoulda read the original post what I quoted 😀 )

DezB
    Free Member

look pretty cool IMO

Holy moly… “cool” = “Hipster” I guess.

johnx2
    Free Member

So four years old in their heyday? No biggie, you’re as entitled to wear it as Paris^^

MrSmith
    Free Member

47 and a bit fat here – i seem to live in Gap cammo shorts and a collection of scruffy T-shirts at the moment.
    My wife and I had a discussion on this a couple of days ago – she asked me if i thought she had a particular ‘style’ which she generally dresses to..
    She doesn’t, but she reckons i’m ‘country chic’ with a wardrobe full of flannel shirts, faded jeans, T-shirts, etc.

“Country chic” ? So Mumford And Sons?

Why do men of a certain age wear cammo shorts? Is it to hide from predators?

Blackflag
    Free Member

No man over 50 should ever be seen outdoors in a leather jacket,Jeans, trainers(unless running)or silly tee shirts

Don’t agree with this. I think its great when you see old bikers, skins, punks etc still showing a bit of love for their roots and identity. They are living their own life and enjoying it. Sticking on a smart suit shows a strange mix of vanity and lack of imagination.

fasthaggis

wear cammo shorts?

it’s for when they are playing Airsoft

grum
    Free Member

Holy moly… “cool” = “Hipster” I guess

The clue is in the fact that hip and cool are basically the same word DezB. 😉

I’m not saying I would go all out hipster like them but it’s nice to see older people looking dapper I think. Why not?

Controversial opinion here but I never gave a **** about trendy clothes until I somehow ended up with a gorgeous, usually very well well turned out partner. No pressure at all from her but I like not feeling like a slobby scruff by comparison.

Edit: not that I’m exactly saying all you ‘i wear novelty t shirts and shorts every day’ people have ugly wives but…. you know….

johnx2
    Free Member

Why do men of a certain age wear cammo shorts?

I know! And when they’re so hard to find…

w00dster

@trailwagger are you sure that link is correct? Takes me to a non clothes related site.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Don’t get the hate for skinny jeans. What’s the alternative? Nasty bootcuts? Flares? It’s not 2003/1970.

Yeah, the ‘sprayed-on’ ones are a bit much but I like them close round the ankle.

grum
    Free Member

Think he meant thread.com

I found their recommendations quite good but I never actually bought anything from them.

I like tapered jeans not baggy round the ankles but it’s very rare that anyone (male) manages to pull off the real super skinny jeans look imo. Chubby people should think again! Lots of decent non skinny options from Edwin and Carhartt etc

mogrim

I think its great when you see old bikers, skins, punks etc still showing a bit of love for their roots and identity. They are living their own life and enjoying it. Sticking on a smart suit shows a strange mix of vanity and lack of imagination.

A smart suit wouldn’t be too bad, it’s when they go all Clarkson that you know they’ve given up.

Coyote
    Free Member

beige slacks and m&s knitwear

First signs that you have given up on life.

No man over 50 should ever be seen outdoors in a leather jacket,Jeans, trainers(unless running)or silly tee shirts

Wow, you sound like a bundle of fun to go shopping with.

#edit

I somehow ended up with a gorgeous, usually very well well turned out partner. No pressure at all from her but I like not feeling like a slobby scruff by comparison.

I know the feeling and since I started taking more of an interest in how I look, shopping trips are much more pleasurable and usually end up in a bar for much needed refreshments.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Perhaps you dont care how other people feel when they have to look at you in the street.Charity shop bargain bin explosion is not a pretty site.

Cougar

Not sure about the hatred for ties and cravats*. They keep your neck warm in winter better than those bulky scarfs

“It’s cold out… best put a tie on” said no-one in the history of ever.

What was your (*)?

Ramones t-shirts are usually worn by people who don’t even know who the Ramones are. Best avoided really!

Random slogans aren’t really a new thing. For years you’ve seen people walking about with tee-shirts emblazoned with stuff like “I❤NY” or “Big Mike’s Long Island Surf Shack” when the closest the wearer has been to Big Mike’s was a weekend in Anglesea.

Don’t get the hate for skinny jeans.

I actually liked the idea and thought I might be able to carry it off until I tried a pair on and it looked like I’d just escaped from a concentration camp.

Cougar

Perhaps you dont care how other people feel when they have to look at you in the street.

Correct.

Couldn’t give a toss about the opinion of a complete stranger whom I’m going to encounter for five seconds and then never see again in my life. Absolutely zero ****s given, with a spring in my step and joy in my heart. I would be hard pressed to think of something I worry less about than the risk of committing the sartorial faux pas of failing to have the bottom button of my waistcoat fashionably unbuttoned whilst visiting the chip shop.

I dress for me, in a manner that makes me feel comfortable. Sometimes I may dress in a manner that my partner may find appealing (quiet at the back). Everyone else can stop being judgemental and get over themselves. In fact I actually quite like being underestimated, it’s served me well over the years.

Besides. I live in a deprived East Lancashire former mill town, you’re more likely to see someone in a friesian-patterned onesie than a sharp business suit. If I went to ASDA in a tweed three-piece with a cravat and a trilby because I cared what people thought, I can tell you exactly what people will think and it won’t be what you think it is.

Charity shop bargain bin explosion is not a pretty site.

Because of course, those are the only two options available. Eddie Redmayne or Stig of the Dump.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve had people telling me I’m too old for air jordan 1’s.
    They were released in 1983 FFS!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

There is only one true way

footflaps

Perhaps you dont care how other people feel when they have to look at you in the street.

Yep, don’t GAF and never will! Also pretty sure no one GAF about how I or anyone else dresses in the street.

DezB
    Free Member

I think its great sad when you see old bikers, skins, punks etc still showing a bit of love for their roots and identity
    😆

grum
    Free Member

Yep, don’t GAF and never will!

There’s two ways of looking at that. Could be seen as a positive thing, however…

I used to think I didn’t GAF, but actually it was just a kind of lack of self-esteem meaning I didn’t see the point in trying to look good.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Cougar at al have a lovely attitude towards other people.I,m sensing destructive neurotic personality type.Grum points the way to their problem.

grum
    Free Member

They were released in 1983 FFS

If I wore the same shoes as I did when I was three I’d expect people to tell me I was too old for them.

footflaps

I used to think I didn’t GAF, but actually it was just a kind of lack of self-esteem meaning I didn’t see the point in trying to look good.

Or maybe I think people are more than skin deep?

If you define yourself and others by the clothes they wear rather than their actions, beliefs and opinions, then fine knock yourself out; but personally I think you’re probably missing something.

Cougar

Cougar at al have a lovely attitude towards other people.I,m sensing destructive neurotic personality type.

I prefer “higher functioning sociopath.”

I don’t care what random strangers think about my clothing, you’re talking about cravats in 2020 when you’re presumably not on your way to a wedding, and I’m the one who’s neurotic? Yeah, OK.

grum
    Free Member

I wasn’t saying my experience is necessarily universal, but I’m sure it applies in many cases.

I’m far from a fashionista but when I wear good quality clothes that fit me well, that are ethically/locally produced, that have been designed well…

I feel better, I carry myself differently, I feel more confident. This kind of thing definitely is consciously or unconsciously noticed by other people, and they respond better to me, smile more, women flirt with you more ( 🙂 ), etc etc

I’m someone who often struggles with mood/confidence/motivation and looking smart when I go out can really help. In contrast, if I’m letting my beard grow out and slobbing about in ‘comfies’ all the time it really doesn’t help.

johnx2
    Free Member

Or maybe I think people are more than skin deep?

If you define yourself and others by the clothes they wear rather than their actions, beliefs and opinions,

Do I need to post that picture of Trump again?

How you present yourself to the world is part of who you are and clothes are part of that. We’re social creatures and clothes are part of visual communication. So if someone performs admirable actions, has laudable beliefs and opinions worth listening to but is a bit Boden or unfortunately Fat of Face, well that’s a thing about them too.

DezB
    Free Member

Old bloke who delivers daily Amazon parcels next door made me smile – scruffy as hell but had a Never Mind the Bollocks t-shirt on today 🙂

deserter
    Free Member

Completely agree Grum, wearing nice clothes makes me feel good, that’s all that matters

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Clothes maketh the man.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I still don’t understand why Cougar and footflaps think it’s acceptable to be seen in public with the Sartorial elegance of a 12 year old.Do you not want to set a good example to the youth of the district?This country needs to smarten up.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 221 total)

The topic ‘Older age and trendy! clothes’ is closed to new replies.