Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 620 total)
  • Oh dear, is Evans next?
  • iainc

well, still can’t get into my account…… a phonecall shortly…

escrs
    Free Member

Ive been logging in fine for the last 24/48hr

Placed my order on Weds morning and it has been picked ready for despatch

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Mine is out for delivery today – got an Endura jacket with £60 off.

iainc

gave their call centre a buzz, my order is fine and at local store (who didn’t send me any notification mind you ) for collection.  They also said that they are having website issues last few days which means that many people cannot access their accounts.

scotroutes

I used some Tesco vouchers to buy a Maxx-D last week. Everything worked as per usual.

P-Jay
    Free Member

My account works fine, new cassette is with Postie at the moment I’m told.

Does sound like someone at Sky News wanted to put the boot in, no other news agency has reported it.

matt1986
    Free Member

There is definitely issues at Evans I left a few months ago and they hadn’t paid a number of distributors for a while and had stopped receiving orders from them one of the distributors was Madison. It will be a massive shame if it does go bump there are some fantastic people who work in store and it’s all decisions out of their control that’s causing this. I enjoyed my 6 years there but I could see the end was in sight. Fingers crossed something is sorted for all my friends who still work there, they are being told that there is nothing to worry about and that they are seeking more funding to move the company forward but as usual the staff will be the last to find out what’s actually hallening.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Aren’t Maddison the only UK dist for Shimano? I’d think there would be huge problems for Evans if Maddison cut them off, conversely I’m sure Maddison would be in trouble if Evans go under, I doubt they have a small facility with them!

matt1986
    Free Member

Whilst i was there the only things we could get from Madison was warranty replacement. In store we was getting grey import Shimano stuff most of it was coming without packaging. They also ordered more SRAM stuff from Fishers but they then went on hold with them. If you go in the shops now you will see they look empty to how they used to look. At the store I worked we had gondolas which were empty and big sections on the walls that were also empty.

There are now a lot of senior people in the business who are not cyclist which is polar opposite to what it was like when I started there. But there are still some really good people in there they just need to focus on what there good at. The big problem for them is that the likes decathlon can sell a carbon raid bike specd with Dura Ace and Zipp 303’s for £3499, or the same frame with Ulterga and Mavic Cosmic’s for £1999, you compare that to the Pinnacle Dolomite 4 which has Ulterga but an alloy frame for £1450. Then you have go outdoors selling a Caliber Line 10 with 10 speed SLX, Recon fork and a dropper for £749. When you compare that to the Pinnacle Ramin or Iroko it’s difficult to sell the Pinnacles as you get less “kit” for more money, the frames will be massivly better but at that price most people look at the kit. These companies must have better deals set up with the likes of Shimano so they can sell lower because the mark up on Pinnacle is similar to other manufacturer’s. Either that or they are selling with a tiny mark up.

There is also the issue of how wiggle and CRC can sell so low, we were often price matching for less than our trade ie what Evans bought the item for. This is why I have no doubt you’ve seen staff (managers) pull their face when you price match.

The own brand stuff is great, Pinnacle Bike are amazing James Olsen is a top guy. The FWE clothing rang is good and the Kalf looks really good.

Fingers crossed they get the funding they need or get bought out by someone with industry knowledge. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mike Ashley went in for them he was sniffing around last time it was sold.

milky1980
    Free Member

Ashley would destroy them if he tries the same tactics he’s using at House Of Fraser.

matt1986
    Free Member

Yep wverever was worried when they heard he was sniffing about last time.

jameso

Yep wverever was worried when they heard he was sniffing about last time.

That was also untrue, or a paper taking a quote and making something else from it.

True that there were overdue accounts a few months back though. The insurers that cover credit lines in this industry reduced or removed credit cover in many cases so some suppliers couldn’t or wouldn’t take any risks. Accounts then go on stop and no one makes any money, things stall. All related to downturn and this springs bad weather. Same pressures have bankrupted a number of IBDs this year.

(and thanks for the kind words matt)

matt1986
    Free Member

No problem James it was always a pleasure chatting to you when you was in store. The Mike Ashley thing was floating about the Manchester stores so might of been a load of rubbish but you know how stuff fly’s about with in the sotres. Really hope it all works out it’s a company full of good people and we need a big cycle retailer.

One thing I never understood was why in store we were fed lies about being on hold for so long that is what crests unceeuncert in the staff and rumours to fly abiut.

stcolin
    Free Member

I’ve avoided CRC/Wiggle on the grounds of what they’re doing to the industry it seems. It’s been great using bike shops recently for bits and pieces that I need. I really fear that we aren’t far away from having very very few actual bikes shops around with decent stock.

chestrockwell

If suppliers are refusing to supply that could explain the lack of 29″ Hope boost wheels. Bum.

Time to find something else to spend the £400 Tesco vouchers I’d saved up on then.

nowad
    Free Member

Rapha was sold last year after it left sky. I believe to family members of Wal-Mart. Don’t quote me on it but pretty certain. The new owners are highly into MTB also so a new market.

There clothing actually in deal format isn’t that expensive and is some of the best road gear you will buy.

As for Evans anyone that follows the high street for a living or retail at the least is well aware its been for sale for ages. Sports direct looked at it seriously but at 50 million didn’t see it viable.

The savvy just won’t pay the prices in store and the rents are simply what are bankrupting all high street business.

If YOU ‘re selling from a warehouse or offering a proper LBS service which Evans doesn’t then you won’t survive on the high street.

There pricing although profitable in store is not competitive in the market place. Example Conti all season 25mm £85 per tyre. I had to query it in branch and the young lad just told me to go to crc as way cheaper.

I absolutely refuse point blank to use any Evans store today.

I have absolutely no issue paying more than online but that premium must match premium service and unfortunately today this is very hard to find within any chain.

jameso

One thing I never understood was why in store we were fed lies about being on hold for so long that is what crests unceeuncert in the staff and rumours to fly abiut.

I’m not sure what was said but as this thread shows, whatever is said turns into other stories somewhere along the line. I can’t imagine many businesses putting out a detailed release on all the different supplier relationships and negotiations so it will be unclear. From what I know supply was disrupted for various reasons at different suppliers. Go from eg 1/2 million credit with a larger supplier to 1/2 that almost overnight based on the credit insurer’s insistence due to retail market uncertanties and it creates a problem for everyone. Creates a problem for the supplier when you’re one of their biggest customers. A kind of lock-up then reset that takes a while to work through and each supplier may want to manage it differently.

Sports direct looked at it seriously

Ashley was quoted as ‘interested’ in the media but that was all, SD wasn’t one of the companies that actually got into talks about it. At 50 million he would have seen it as viable if he has the business sense you’d expect he has – it sold for a lot more than that.

akira

The continental all season was £85? Wow, why we were selling a car tyre for that much I’m not sure. You probably mean 4 seasons and it’s never been that expensive as the RRP is £50,  also we price match crc….all slightly odd.

nowad
    Free Member

Speak with the lad in store akira. It was Norwich. I have no idea but supposed he had enough of people asking why they are so dear?

kimbers

So I wanted to buy an xt rear mech from them, in stock according to website, had £50 of Tesco voucher too.coz I’d checked it out online got a follow up email reminding me they price match, so could get for £52 CRC price.

In shop not actually in stock but they happily agreed to price match & reminded me they have a £5 off £50 deal

How much do they pay for an m8000 mech , much less than £45?

nealglover
    Free Member

Picking up my new helmet tomorrow from Castleford store.

It didn’t look empty when I was in on Monday, and the leeds store didn’t today either. Loads of new stock in, could barely move for stock actually.

Cracking deal in the helmet too. £270 POC Ventral Spin for £130 (hope it fits! )

ton

my bike turned from them.

joemmo
    Free Member

Dropped into Evans Gateshead last night and the new Cycle Republic store is open next to them – a chain is never heard of before. Confusing if one is expanding while another is in trouble.

Anyone used cycle Republic before or know the history?

sillyoldman

Cycle Republic is Halfords.

joemmo
    Free Member

Oh so it is… I could have used the internets for that. Thanks. A weird aggressive move to set literally next door to a competitor. I wonder if they’ll price match each other to death?

robjones
    Free Member

Kimbers, I was interested in this so I asked my mate who works in a bike shop to check out the trade price of an m8000 mech. He wouldn’t tell me exactly but apparently it is “over £50” (ex-vat). After tax Evans would take £39 from your £47. So they will lose £11-12 on that sale alone, unless they have a great source of OEM (they might). Even then they can’t be making enough to run a shop on. How stupid do you have to be to have a policy of price matching everything indiscriminately? Maybe they think this customer will come back and spend big on something else but come on….really? From what I see on here and acter talking to riding mates, Evans are being used as a convenient local warehouse to get stuff as cheap as anywhere, same day. It’s not a business plan.

jameso

So they will lose £11-12 on that sale alone, unless they have a great source of OEM (they might). Even then they can’t be making enough to run a shop on. How stupid do you have to be to have a policy of price matching everything indiscriminately?

We will turn down some price matches. That could be due to a number of reasons, such as not making a loss on a sale.

winston
    Free Member

I run a retail business and we are very selective with price matching. For instance I’ve just been asked by a new customer whether I’ll price match a German owned website selling in the uk on an expensive item which we import properly through the official importer with warranty etc – for which the answer was a resounding no. Buying from us, a physical shop where you can touch and see the goods , discuss the pros and cons etc v a massive ‘just in time’ website which probably doesn’t even hold the stock – are you kidding. Thats just a race to liquidation

However if a customer comes in and shows me a similar shop has something in stock and available but at a slightly cheaper price then, yes I’ll probably match it as thats just good business sense. Unless they are a real dick about it like marching in and waving a phone at me demanding ‘my best price’ before even saying hello….

johnnystorm

Oh so it is… I could have used the internets for that. Thanks. A weird aggressive move to set literally next door to a competitor. I wonder if they’ll price match each other to death?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotelling%27s_law

mickmcd
    Free Member

There is also the issue of how wiggle and CRC can sell so low, we were often price matching for less than our trade

Set up bike brand order 1000 SRAM groupsets OEM forks and rear shocks dump stock after selling 20 bikes at 19 .2 percent markup,

Compete with CRC wiggle

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Website has been down for nearly a week now. I’m looking to purchase a new bike soon and was going to use Evans for their “trade in” discount plus vouchers purchased at a discounted rate from a corporate perks scheme to pay the balance.

The only issue with purchasing the vouchers is they’re non-refundable so if for some reason the bike I want (currently pre-order) doesn’t show up, I’m stuck with some very expensive vouchers.

Not sure what to do. I was ready to commit to a purchase prior to this news coming to light and with the website still down, I’m suspicious they may just be in a spot of bother………

scotroutes

Website has been down for nearly a week now

No it hasn’t. Some folk have been unable to log in for some reason. For the rest of us it’s been just fine.

Oggles
    Free Member

Website has been up all week for me.

I know as I’ve got my eye on a Fulcrum wheelset but they’re on preorder, and the delivery date keeps slipping. Hope that’s nothing to do with the supplier relationships mentioned above.

It would be a shame to see them gone, I’ve had three bikes from them over the last 8 years or so.

nedrapier

I guess it’s too soon to know what’ll be happening to the Hoy brand?

If anyone’s got a lightly-used Hoy Napier in green, let me know!

joemmo
    Free Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotelling%27s_law

Thanks, thought there might be a term for this strategy.

chestrockwell

Just need to take back what I said on the thread. Having spoken to the web chat thing they gave me a special order email which confirmed they can get any configuration of the Hope wheels I want and in any colour. Can also use my Tesco vouchers. Cheers Evans!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Ashley also owns Tri Uk (who I have never heard of), they seem to be a big player in the industry and he’s opening a number of new shops including one just down the road from me in Shirebrook which is due to open in a few weeks.  I imagine that Evans locations would be handy for him if he was interested in buying them out.

thepodge
    Free Member

Can we all just stop and read, then reread jamseo’s posts on this matter?

akira

I’ll recap, this was ages ago and Sky randomly picked it up and ran with it.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Yep.  I think some people can’t read.

A none story.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 620 total)

The topic ‘Oh dear, is Evans next?’ is closed to new replies.