Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 620 total)
  • Oh dear, is Evans next?
  • sparksmcguff

@jameso thanks for the info and what’s the future for pinnacle? It was a pinnacle we got as was a great option. To be honest it was the best available.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d love to see Pinnacle escape and either go it alone or be picked up by someone else (Zyro Fisher, perhaps….) as an in house brand, like Genesis at Madison. Would be a shame to see it dragged down to Ma’s level as it’s a good brand making some good bikes.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Pinnacle and Genesis are more closely related than you may realise.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Or to put it another way, was the business sold as a going concern, or sold as a basket case which was then, by choice of the purchaser, turned into one?

The way I understand it that in this case the business retains continuity which I think some people are confusing for being a ‘going concern’. Clearly if the business had sufficient liquidity it wouldn’t have been sold as a pre-pack by the administrator. Some creditors must have lost out here even if the business is now a going concern thanks to SD cash injection. Ashley isn’t going to pay (old) creditors he doesn’t have to.

As said before, main reason for agreeing pre pack admin will be to wash your hands of every cost you don’t want, leaving those unwanted bits for the administrators to deal with ( 30 unwanted stores with long term lease agreements and their staff redundancy costs, outstanding debt).

Thereafter, negotiate with suppliers depending on how important they are to you in future. A) stick two fingers up> leave administrators deal with, or B) negotiate out of RoT, agree to pay a debt or part of, to keep the supplier relationship.

I’m only assuming that’s how it works, happy to be corrected?.

jameso

I’d love to see Pinnacle escape and either go it alone or be picked up by someone else (Zyro Fisher, perhaps….) as an in house brand, like Genesis at Madison.

Pinnacle is Evans own-brand so they (‘they’ as in the Evans post-sale) own the TM. Can’t see them selling it as the brand is valuable to Evans, also based on solid VFM bikes via a fairly customer-direct model and a distributor to IBD route to market can’t be as competitive these days.

Thanks for the positives though… I want to see the good things we’ve done with Pinnacle continue.

docrobster
    Free Member

Just been in to my local Evans to pick up a click and collect order I placed a couple of weeks ago. As above a sign on the counter indicating vouchers not being accepted for the foreseeable future, and not available to buy. The mechanics were busy but no other customers and the shop seemed very quiet

greyspoke
    Free Member

@B.A.Nana

As said before, main reason for agreeing pre pack admin will be to wash your hands of every cost you don’t want, leaving those unwanted bits for the administrators to deal with ( 30 unwanted stores with long term lease agreements and their staff redundancy costs, outstanding debt).

Thereafter, negotiate with suppliers depending on how important they are to you in future. A) stick two fingers up> leave administrators deal with, or B) negotiate out of RoT, agree to pay a debt or part of, to keep the supplier relationship.

I’m only assuming that’s how it works, happy to be corrected?.

I think the new owners will take free of all past debts, the 8 million paid to the reciever will probably cover those.  As for redundancy payments, as they took over all the business, all employees retain their employment rights against the new owners under TUPE and so the new owners will have to fork out for redundancy payments.
    Not sure about the leases, possibly arrangements with the landlords remained to be negotiated.  Often leases terminate automatically on an insolvency.  So the options for the new owners would be agree to take over the lease*, or let it go (landlord terminates and repossesses).
    *Ashley did comment to the effect that he would be entering into negotiations with landlords, presumably running the “offer me a reduced rent/ rent holiday or this will be one of the stores I let go” argument.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I’d love to see Pinnacle escape and either go it alone or be picked up by someone else (Zyro Fisher, perhaps….) as an in house brand, like Genesis at Madison.

You do know Zyro-Fisher are for sale or certainly were a few months back.

thepurist

Not sure if anyone else has posted, but I just got some Tesco Clubcard vouchers and found that the Evans deal has ended 🙁

Ewan
    Free Member

Apparently SD got 28m worth of stock for 8m quid. Bargin.

thepurist

Did they have 8M worth of Tesco vouchers?

witterings
    Free Member

Apparently SD got 28m worth of stock for 8m quid. Bargin.

Yes but commitment for rent / wages etc. … whilst it might seem that simple on the surface there’ll be underlying expenses that need to be met or someone else would have bid 10 / 12 / 18 million for it (Halfords ???)… he’s probably taking the stock value (which has probably been over inflated) as something to offset other costs.

Mr Ashley is soon to be the only person that actually owns anything on the high street as every other shop is closing … it’ll be interesting to see in 5 yrs if his …. what I perceive to be as an massive gamble … plays out as it should as how can you survive in retail when every other shop is going bust???

The only thing a high street (although there may not be any left in the future) can do is promote your name / act as a form of advertising just by being there to help promote online sales.

If I had shares in anything he owns personally I think this is the point I’d probably sell them and wonder if he may have over stretched himself in a massively diminishing market unless it’s a springboard into taking them all online.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

is that 28m in value or RRP? What does he have to pay the supplier on that?

Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>witterings
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

… it’ll be interesting to see in 5 yrs if his …. what I perceive to be as an massive gamble … plays out as it should as how can you survive in retail when every other shop is going bust???

As I explained earlier in the thread, Evans didn’t go bust due to any fault in the business model, or because of online competition, or anything like that- it went bust because last time it was bought out by a private equity company they saddled it with unrepayable debt at crippling interest rates, payable to themselves. They would still be trading today had they not been bought by sharks, just like Maplin.

So it’s not really a gamble for Ashley, it’s just a case of exploiting the damage caused by a different sort of shark.

</div>

jameso

The only thing a high street (although there may not be any left in the future) can do is promote your name / act as a form of advertising just by being there to help promote online sales.

If I had shares in anything he owns personally I think this is the point I’d probably sell them and wonder if he may have over stretched himself in a massively diminishing market unless it’s a springboard into taking them all online.

George A Romero set Dawn of the Dead in a shopping mall as he said that when zombiefied and most of the brain died, people would return to habit or flickers of memory and hence they all lurch toward the mall.

Look at most malls or town centres now, people often go there whether they’re spending or not, or pass through fairly regularly. If you can buy at online prices from a familiar name while you’re there, why wouldn’t you? Some people get more from online shopping as it’s easy, some enjoy retail shopping as an activity. Retail:Online mix will continue to change in future but showrooms will always be an advantage for some and bikes are difficult to sell online only.

sillyoldman

What James said.

Apart from the DOTD bit… 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

Exactly what jameso said. Most high streets area dieing yet meadowhall is getting a 300 million expansion. There’s already a sports direct, a Debenhams, a JD sports and a house of Fraser, wouldn’t surprise me at all if an Evans pops up there too.

sarawak
    Free Member

Exactly what @northwind said.

Ashley and/or the previous VC owners are only interested in the deal. The bottom line. How much money can they make. Customers are merely a conduit for money into the SD coffers.

There’s an interesting piece in today’s papers about the number of staff Ashley has dispensed with and the amout of debt he has walked away from.

But, look on the bright side. Philip Green has ensured that Ashley will never be given a knighthood.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Meadowhall will juat become a massive apple store i predict one of the shops i worked in there as a student had the highest retail cost per foot  outside of london and it was comparable with oxford street ironic the biggest sellers were proflexes animal watches berghaus jackets and timberland boots..

witterings
    Free Member

George A Romero set Dawn of the Dead in a shopping mall as he said that when zombiefied and most of the brain died, people would return to habit or flickers of memory and hence they all lurch toward the mall.

But will they return …. I reckon older people might but younger people default to online

My daughter orders 3 dresses, tries them all on and sends 2 back and this is becoming the new norm with the youngest not even discovering what a high street actually is to have any wish to return to it.

That’s not me saying I’m right and you’re wrong and I hope it’s me that’s wrong as I think the loss of shops is a great shame.

Why manufacturers / suppliers don’t make retailers stick to recommended retail price which would give the shops back a margin they could survive on.

Whilst there’s the convenience of online shopping most people probably buy online because of the discounting and it’d take that advantage away.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Why manufacturers / suppliers don’t make retailers stick to recommended retail price

Because price fixing is illegal

ElShalimo

@jameso – did this affect the development of new Pinnacle products? Anything coming soon that you can share with us?

jameso

younger people default to online

It’s a marketing-by-numbers myth that people’s habits or interaction with brands, marketing etc vary that much with age. People vary, that’s all. It just comes down to a balance of convenience, personality etc. What we do seem to agree on is that people research more online then may buy in store and retail outlets can do things that a screen can’t, particularly with bikes. Question is how much of your business costs are based in the retail premises side of it and how that works with online sales, info etc. Evans is in a good position there, has been for a while and could be doing a better job of it (see points here about need for investment to maximise that).

Why manufacturers / suppliers don’t make retailers stick to recommended retail price which would give the shops back a margin they could survive on.

As above, it’s illegal and as you say, a product’s value is set by online pricing anyway.

@jameso – did this affect the development of new Pinnacle products? Anything coming soon that you can share with us?

All MY19 is done and day to day work on future changes and ranges hasn’t changed. MY19 info hasn’t all gone out yet, some could have been out this week but it’ll be next week and afterwards now.

mcj78
    Free Member

I got a gift card yesterday for me birthday, must have been bought in the last few days & probably now worthless – if it is I’ll be tempted to place a massive order to collect in store then then throw a big strop & cancel the lot when they won’t accept it. Petty, yep.

jeffl

@mcj78 – The thing is it’s not the poor sod on the shop floors fault is it? No need to be an arse with them when they can do nothing about it and there’s a good chance of them being made redundant ☹️

Agree through gift vouchers are a joke. We got some for toys r us from a friend for one of the kids birthdays just before they went bust. Had to pony up the cash ourselves. I don’t see why people don’t just give cash in this day and age of retail companies going bust left right and centre .

mcj78
    Free Member

I’d actually be the last person to go in & cause a scene, it’s just frustrating – although it looks like someone on the previous page was a day away from losing 2 grand, that would be a bit more difficult to stomach & may possibly result in an Adam Ant-stylee alternator through the window episode.

It’s irrelevant anyway as I tend to steer clear of anything related to MA, do genuinely feel sorry for the staff as it’s highly unlikely this takeover will benefit them in any way shape or form.

thepodge
    Free Member

It’s not like the previous owners did anything to benefit the staff either. They willingly crippled a company for their own financial gain.

chakaping
    Free Member

Oh well, that makes Mike Ashley fine then.

doomanic

@jeffl

I don’t see why people don’t just give cash

In our family (but not by me) at least it’s seen as lazy…

Yeah, ‘cos paying for a gift card shows a real effort was made.

thepodge
    Free Member

@chakaping would you prefer no job or a crap job when no one is stepping up to offer you a good job?

As far as I can tell it was looking like 100% instant job losses and is now 50% with some notice, so no it doesn’t make him alright but it makes him a shed load better than the last owners

rydster
    Free Member

It’s not like the previous owners did anything to benefit the staff either. They willingly crippled a company for their own financial gain.

Well private equity move it to invest a little and try and then pump up the value of the business and sell it on. It’s a form of speculation.

In this case their gamble failed.

thepodge
    Free Member

That’s not what happened here though is it?

They put the company into debt and milked it for interest payments.

rydster
    Free Member

They might have ‘milked it for interest payments’ but my understanding is they still made a loss. Would be happy to be corrected though.

ogden
    Free Member

Tesco vouchers may be back in the next few weeks according to the chap I spoke to today on the online chat.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Did you speak with “Adam” by any chance?

ogden
    Free Member

I spoke to Quinn

witterings
    Free Member

Just been into the Havant branch … explained I was in drawing up an Xmas list and asked if they had a sit bone measurement tool … yes we do but it’s for Bontrager saddles only and we don’t have any of those in stock (which they did but not many).

The obvious reluctance to help a customer in a quiet store on a Monday morning says he obviously doesn’t like his job and would rather the store he works in is one of those that’s closed and he’s made redundant.

I in the meantime will go elsewhere to do my Xmas list which will pretty much exclusively be for cycling gear!

P-Jay
    Free Member

We hope you’re enjoying the ride and being part of the Evans Cycles Family by receiving interesting and relevant cycling offers and content.

You may be aware that Sports Direct Group, through a subsidiary, recently acquired the business and assets of F.W. Evans Cycles Limited.

Your personal data as held by Evans Cycles has been transferred to that company, which is now the data controller of your personal data.
    We want to reassure you that we will continue to hold your personal data securely and use it as permitted by law and in accordance with our <u>Privacy Policy</u> and your marketing preferences.

Enjoy the Ride

Great, so Sports Direct now hold my Data, I’m pretty certain they’re not allowed to spam me with adverts for over-sized mugs, white shell suits and advice on staff exploitation, but then it’s Sports Direct, will they care about the rules?

witterings
    Free Member

Great, so Sports Direct now hold my Data, I’m pretty certain they’re not allowed to spam me with adverts for over-sized mugs, white shell suits and advice on staff exploitation, but then it’s Sports Direct, will they care about the rules?

You can exercise your “Right to be forgotten” … I would of thought with the potential size of the fine … chances are they’d  comply.

oikeith

I also got the sports direct now hold my data email and also got this message via a work perk thing:

We know that you have previously purchased an Evans Cycles Instant e-code. Following the recent news about the retailer going into administration, then being purchased by Sports Direct, Evans Cycles have suspended the acceptance of instant e-codes and the sale of new instant e-codes.

Thank god I spent that quickly!

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 620 total)

The topic ‘Oh dear, is Evans next?’ is closed to new replies.