Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 620 total)
  • Oh dear, is Evans next?
  • earl_brutus
    Free Member

I’ve bought shed loads of cycle stuff from Evans over the years clothes tyres pedals energy bars oakleys etc including two new bikes but I always buy online. And always buy sale stuff. It surprised me how they managed to have so many stores everywhere!

nealglover
    Free Member

Their most recent sale is ridiculous.

I ordered well over £1000 of clothing/ helmet and stuff, and paid just over £400 with the sale price and the EXTRA20 code they had.

It was also on a Ride2Work voucher so will actually pay just over £270 for it all 👍😳

Harry_the_Spider

I can’t be alone in not spending a single penny more than I absolutely have to in light of the forthcoming economic chaos. If my job survives then I will start buying things again, but until then the purse stays shut.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can’t be alone in not spending a single penny more than I absolutely have to in light of the forthcoming economic chaos.

I think there is a good group of people who feel completely isolated from that. They show no signs of panic or concern. It could be denial though and just going hard into the inevitable crash.

The majority of bike shops still depend on discretionary spending. No matter how many claim to be cycling to work they will give up the bike before the petrol pump.

nealglover
    Free Member

No matter how many claim to be cycling to work they will give up the bike before the petrol pump.

Sold my car to buy an E-cargo bike. Do an average of 130 miles a week. No more petrol/diesel pumps for me

Use my local Evans for most things, they are great.

twistedpencil

Stuff still arriving in shops. Picked up my light today to keep my commuter ticking over in the darker nights….

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I bought my one-up dropper and lever from them, one of those suit carrier messenger bags which wasn’t cheap, some XT groupset stuff for a bike build.

One thing I don’t like is that their stores are now just full of that L Garnier own brand stuff, if you want much else in you have to click-and-collect it, try it on, and refund if no good.

Also bought some stuff from Cycle Surgery recently as well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://garneau.com/ca/en/men

Garneau? Deff not own brand stuff big canadian lot with some good stuff, bibs are great

imnotverygood

Garneau are actually a Canadian company, not an Evans own brand. They do high end stuff, but they seem to have an image problem over here presumably because of the misconception with Evans.

EDIT. Too slow

greyspoke
    Free Member

I’d always assumed the rent on the Cardiff store must be small because of the challenging location.  It used to be a Hypervalue.  I understood the business model to be to find lower rent premises just off town centres.  Good for click and collect for office workers.  Seems like a runner.

LMT
    Free Member

Rapha I understand, they have mid season gaps and if you want something it’s pretty much out of stock, been trying to get a technical t-shirt for months, they are great!  Plus they must of got more business from team sky deal, the amount of rapha t-shirts still seen in the crowds and the roadies my way there’s always a few rapha team sky kits but never seen any of the new kit. I will admit I have a ton of team sky stuff from rapha. They need to get the price point right, sale stuff fly’s out maybe they should lower prices all year and no fire sale each year??

Evans I’m indifferent the bham store is terrible, well the I’m assuming the manager or deputy complete arse, remember getting a new bike, I was passing store and the bike was sat there in the work shop signed off and ready to go, he refused to let me have it as my appointment was Friday…was tempted to cancel the order.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a couple of things from them today. Do my tiny bit I suppose.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

rapha. They need to get the price point right, sale stuff fly’s out maybe they should lower prices all year and no fire sale each year??

Nah it’s retaining the high price faux exclusivity that means it flies off the shelves in the outlet stores but also in the shops/web I’ve bought most of my stuff at discount but a couple of bits full price. The people not spending money are not the rapha buyers at the moment

jameso

Good to know Sky news is so up to date. This story is about 9 months old and related to an earlier finance restructure.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s a shame as I use them quite a lot, mainly due to the price matching and the fact there’s a big ass store right near where I work most of the time.

That and the Kalf stuff is ace

P-Jay
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Premier Iconjameso
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Good to know Sky news is so up to date. This story is about 9 months old and related to an earlier finance restructure.

</div>

Can you add any more detail to that? It does seem that only Sky News reported it (and some smaller outlets reported that Sky reported it) Sour Grapes because Evan’s Blacklisted some News Corp sites for advertising?

daern
    Free Member

Garneau are actually a Canadian company, not an Evans own brand. They do high end stuff, but they seem to have an image problem over here presumably because of the misconception with Evans.

Both of my kids use their women’s MTB shoes for racing and they are really good quality and fit, especially for the price. Well recommended.

theotherjonv

I’m no brand snob and ordered some LG shoes based on price, fit and looks. Impressed so far.

vincienup
    Free Member

Oh well.  I chopped in my Clubcard points last week for a voucher which I was going to buy a discounted Osprey with, but they delayed delivering the voucher until immediately after the sale was over (and a few days after the Osprey flash deal) so I was going to hang on to the voucher until the next sale.

Maybe that isn’t an option much longer!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I quite like Evans, working in Crawley means I can call in their warehouse store and try for size.  Big range of stuff and no messing with returns.  I wonder whether having that shop front to the warehouse pays off for them, it’s certainly useful to me.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I think Rapha are in the poo too. They have had loads more sales this year and their stuff has been on SportPursuit.

80 redundancies.

im surprised they didn’t do the Burberry thing and burn unsold stock rather than discount it on sales sites to keep the brands image intact.

they also closed the cafes in the afternoon to save some money, they probably gave a high value to the members club when selling the business but i know people who work near the cafes and became members so they could get 2 coffees a day for the year at a hugely discounted price,  £6 x5 x52 weeks is £1560 membership was £2-£300?

they have no interest in cycling but like high quality coffee (from The Barn Berlin etc) at huge discounts.

jameso

Can you add any more detail to that? It does seem that only Sky News reported it (and some smaller outlets reported that Sky reported it) Sour Grapes because Evan’s Blacklisted some News Corp sites for advertising?

Not got much more detail to add really – it’s an old story that’s popped up again related to recent large retailer stories along these lines.

News Corp may have not liked that move a while back but any company can choose where it advertises and if this is linked (which would suprise me tbh) then that backs up why businesses need that choice. On second thought it may be linked as it seems like poor fact-checking, but that’s into a topic about News Corp and the media, not Evans.

vincienup
    Free Member

I think I agree with this after a casual google. Apart from dropping the ‘new’ CEO at the start of the month there doesn’t seem to be much to substantiate this story other than what we ‘knew’ about two years ago.

jameso

= Fake News.

JackHammer

The cool thing about the Cardiff branch is that if you are driving in they’ll validate your parking for the adjoining NCP car park too. That was a over a year ago though when I bought a wheel.

vincienup
    Free Member

>Premier Iconjameso

= Fake News.

I was was trying to avoid the phrase, but it seems this is what we find…

vincienup
    Free Member

In other news, is the copy paste quote functionality *still* broken? 🙄

(I just edited a bunch of html tagging that didn’t show in preview out so the post was slightly readable)

akira

We sold plenty of bikes last week in my shop, reading some of the comments about no prices on bikes and not being able to pick up bikes seem a bit odd. Definitely not standard practice, if youve had an issue then mention it to someone. Id aways rather hear about a problem and try to rectify it than not hear about it and have an unhappy customer. Not a quote….sigh

Kamakazie

Cardiff Evans is great.

Right near work, friendly staff and good click & collect choice.

Bit lacking in options for MTB clothing but not surprising as I doubt they are big sellers.

They still validate parking as well.

ayjaydoubleyou

Just spent £50 with them. Is this fake news plus getting a £5 off code this morning by email drumming up some sales to clear the 2017 stock? Good work by them I guess

davosaurusrex

Had an email earlier to tell me the Bell Super I have an backorder will be in earlier than expected and they’d let me know, anyway fairer that that.

Also bought an LG MIPS road lid at a big discount earlier this year and it’s the comfiest, quietest lid I’ve owned and my word, I’ve owned a few

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve only been into Cardiff Evans once, not a great experience but I wouldn’t knock them too much for it.

Truthfully I avoid ‘Town’ like an STD and I’d have to pass two great LBSs to get there (used to be 3 sadly).

But I shop online with them fairly regularly.

Sunset are moving to the top of Caerphilly Mountain to what looks like a massive place (work seems to have stalled through summer though) and building a little bike park / hire place to go with it. I don’t suspect I’ll fancy the trip into town any more after they open.

willstaffs
    Free Member

Website is down at the minute, I have a £50 voucher to spend from Tesco vouchers, hopefully it’s back online soon or I can swap them back!

iainc

and still down – I have a Camelbak hopefully at local store for pickup, which I have paid for, hope no issues….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Up here,

https://www.evanscycles.com

Can get to my account and everything – though the posts above said it was mostly a non story/old one picked up

iainc

ta, doesn’t work for me – will try later – opens but won’t let me log in, probably me !

Ben_H

Just ordered a couple of clothing items from Evans.

They’re usually good for Gore, so I checked them out as usual – and found they are doing £15 off £100.  On top of the fact that the £160 jacket I wanted was £95 and Quidco… that really can’t be beaten.  One does wonder how sustainable this is?

iainc

I still can’t get in, on phone, iPad or laptop. Will call them tomorrow but guess it’s my account rather that an Evans issue.

chestrockwell

Been on the site and in to my account no worries today.

Why, oh why don’t they have 29” Hope Enduro wheels in boost?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Worry not ..I’m sure the saviour of all things retail will be watching with interest ..and will step forward and do a ” House Of Fraser ” at the appropriate time .. Mike Ashley ( the bastard )

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 620 total)

The topic ‘Oh dear, is Evans next?’ is closed to new replies.