Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 620 total)
  • Oh dear, is Evans next?
  • jonnyboi

Ahh that’s shite for Evans.

reckon I’ve spent a grand at least with them since they stopped advertising in the mail during the stop funding hate campaign.

Dunno how wiggle/chain reaction keep going with their stock overheads? Anyone ever checked out the wiggle eBay store? The amount of returned/shop soiled stock they churn out is unbelievable

ravingdave

Oh man! I do hope not. The plymouth store is in a slightly odd location but does have parking. The are staff are enthusiastic knowledgeable pleasant people and have become my go to LBS as a result. Brought 2 bikes, loads of parts and servicing from them. Always been super helpful. I wish them all the best and hope the staff are ok

ta11pau1

I hope not too, my local Evans is a 10 minute walk away and some of their online deals which you can order to store are the cheapest place to get stuff. OK, they never have a good stock of bikes, but for general stuff mine are pretty good. The other local shop in my town is abysmal by comparison.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Feel sorry for them, every time I walk in half the staff are really friendly / helpful, while the other half are pretty useless. It’s a nice brand and believe there is still potential in the business as long as it remains impossible to get a service or test ride without visiting a shop.

As an outsider it looks like bad leadership, both internally and from their PE owners from the perspective that they don’t appear to be passionate bikers and don’t understand the needs of their customers / changing market.

If I was in charge I would:

Fire the bad 50% of staff. The ones that don’t even know their DMR Vault or Magic Mary (or road equiv) and look on blank faced / confused rather than just looking it up on Google or their computer. To counter the bad I’ve also had great experiences where staff would recommend decent trails and dial in my suspension really well.

Double down and train the workshop staff properly – if you run a workshop you really should be able to bleed some hydraulic brakes properly and service forks. Even with their limitations the workshops always seem overbooked.

Partner with Canyon and YT for initial setup and 1st services, maybe even rent them some floorspace for display / demo models and handle warranty shipping (if it doesn’t erode margin). No need to actually sell them but it’s not like they are going anywhere. I don’t see them eating into their road, own brand low-mid spec mtb/hybrid, or high end sales from the likes of Santa Cruz. I wonder how many £3-5k Trek / Spec End/DH bikes they actually sell?

Relocate all the stores two streets back, or maybe a little more to save on rent (even my nan can use google maps to search for a bike shop these days).

Stock decent items in-store. Every store sells bad pedals, multitools, co2 pumps rather than the highest rated. Not sure if the loss in sales volume wipes out the margin.

Become a TK Maxx for sales of last season / off colour clothing from higher end brands like Rapha. Let Rapha focus on making coffee in their own shops 🙂

Anyone else got any ideas to help save them? If only Wiggle survive in a few years I imagine their prices will rise pretty fast.

doomanic

What’s the Wiggle eBay store name?

I’ve been driving past a branch in North London whilst working there and one day when I had a few minutes to spare popped in. I didn’t stay long. The whole vibe of the shop was wrong. There was no bling on display, no really nice bikes – and notably, hardly any decent ebikes. It just seemed like a business model half a decade behind the times. I never thought I’d say this, but JE James, blows them away

twowheels
    Free Member

This is disappointing indeed.  Being able to go to their central London stores and pay CRC prices seemed too good to last.  Agreed with comments about their staff too- for a corporate outfit they are excellent.

@jonnyboi
    – yes seen the Wiggle (/trisport resort) eBay store but just assumed they do a massive volume online so even if 1% get returned that’s still a big quantity to shift.

clubby

Had cashed Tesco vouchers in for a camelback that went out of stock while waiting on the voucher being processed. Stocked up on spare chains just in case.

jamesoz

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>thisisnotaspoon
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

The one in Reading is in the town center, right by the big shopping center multi storey.  But the wrong side of a big ring road roundabout. Even cycling into town its on the wrong side of the road.

Considering its my 2nd closest bike shop (Rotec Cycles are closer) I’ve been in twice in the 5 years its been there

</div>

My office is behind Rotec, still seems odd not seeing Simon about.

Only been in that Evans a couple of times and they were pretty disinterested when a mate was buying a bike.

I’d have gone elsewhere but his companies Cycle to work scheme is tied to Evans apparently. I have no idea if that’s true as we don’t have such a thing.

twowheels
    Free Member

sillysilly + echo’d by TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR: yes some of their stores stock cheap tat but you can order stuff via the website for next day inspection/collection.  Also they do fine for the basic needs of the city commuter (in London I guess this is by far the biggest market).  Works for me.

Also I find even the “bad” staff at least want to help and aren’t arrogant on top of their ignorance.  That makes a big difference.

Yeah I’m probably the biggest Evans fan.

Northwind

The one in Edinburgh seems to have worked pretty hard to have nothing I want. You can order pretty much anything online and have it delivered to the store, but then, why? Maybe I’m just not the target market but this is Edinburgh, if you can’t sell a load of mountain bikes here where can you?

jeffl

That’s a shame if true. The one in Sheffield has friendly staff and a good range of bikes. Really handy to pop in there on the way home to pick things up, especially with click and collect.

rOcKeTdOg

Anyone else got any ideas to help save them? If only Wiggle survive in a few years I imagine their prices will rise pretty fast.

Yep, use your LBS and not wiggle. It’s not rocket science. If you don’t support high street shops (and I don’t mean to try things for size before buying online) you’ll close and lose them.

rOcKeTdOg

Partner with Canyon and YT for initial setup and 1st services, maybe even rent them some floorspace for display / demo models and handle warranty shipping (if it doesn’t erode margin). No need to actually sell them

Zero margin will always be zero margin. Seems like a lot of work & staff wages to increase Canyon’s and YT’s profit and market share.

You’re not on Evan’s board or ideas person are you? 😉😂

tdog
    Free Member

Tbf though, if Evans do cease to trade, it couldn’t happen to a worse bike retailer.

I feel the pain of their store staff who I nearly joined.

They are well just a bit w&nk tbh and yes I was bitter at the time.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It’s the need/race to sell cheap that’s killing retail. It’s been going on slowly for years but post 2008 there was a huge rush to sell sell sell at any price because you had to have the turnover.

A lot of businesses said “it’ll be fine, we’ll be able to increase prices when things settle down” but it went on so long it’s become the norm and there’s no going back from it. As a result everyone knows everything will be 25%+ cheaper in a few weeks time so the only people who pay full price are those who must have it. Just take a look at the front page for “where’s the cheapest/when does x go on sale” threads and the like.

I’m afraid you can’t have that cake and eat it, either stuff will carry enough margin to support multiple businesses or it’ll be cheap as possible sold in huge volumes by only one or two outlets. On the other hand though prices won’t go up noticeably because as soon as they do another company will open, undercut them by 2p an item and they’ll go out off business because near as it matters no one is brand loyal these days.

I’m afraid traditional retail is doomed for a great many things unless it really starts to offer something you can’t get online.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

The UK is in an interesting financial position at the moment in the middle of huge uncertainty that at it’s very definition would impact discretionary spending.

The commercial world is starting to face up to it, but to the man in the street, it’s still confusing, irritating and boringly dragging on. Consumers will wake up to it when prices really rise and goods are delayed. All that’s to come.

dovebiker

How much have they been burdened by the debt from the takeover and expansion – probably borrowed at low interest rates and now having to furnish that debt at higher rates against a static / shrinking retail market plus considerable cost growth as they have to buy in US$.

Less sure about the “new golf” as golf-clubs are literally dying out because its becoming a social club for geriatrics and finding it hard to attract new members.

kimbers

Less sure about the “new golf” as golf-clubs are literally dying out because its becoming a social club for geriatrics and finding it hard to attract new members.

I wish, then Aston could extend its runs into the golf course !

ton

just waiting for a new bike to land from evans. it was pretty heavily discounted.

fingers crossed it will land before they submerge, if they actually do.

milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve weaned myself off using Wiggle/CRC over the last few years now, easy to see how the rush to bottom price was destroying the market in general.  Most purchases come through the LBS and surprisingly I’m spending less as I think about what I want to buy and then get it.  If I can’t get something specific though the LBS then Evans or Halfords are my next port of call, sometimes I’ll use Amazon but i I do it’ll be from that manufacturer’s sales channel.

IF Evans do go through a restructure/shrinking period does this mean Halfords are in trouble on the bike side too?  I know they have the automotive side which drove their decision a while ago to close the high street stores and focus on the retail parks with fitting bays for lightbulbs etc but the bike side is a similar setup.  Own-brand bikes, basic workshop etc.  Is it time for the LBS to have a resurgence?

edd

Evans is by far my closest bike shop, I quite regularly use them for click and collect with price match. In fact I last picked something up from them on Thursday. Click and collect, if you live close to a store, is great as it’s effectively free next day delivery.

duner
    Free Member

I used to work for Evans, word from my ex colleagues is that they’re not in danger of going under any time soon, the article makes it sound far worse than it is. it’s been a reasonable summer for the trade due to the weather.

russyh
    Free Member

Evans always seem to do a spectacular job of not stocking anything I want!  No proper tyres, bars tools or anything.  It’s actually impressive how they have literally nothing of any use in stock! I even popped in the other day to buy a bottle cage, usually a big selection…not this time no side load cages in sight.

chrismac

Im not surprised. They always seem to have lots of stuff in the shop but never the item I want,

deadkenny
    Free Member

Prices are reasonable and they price match, but despite big stores they rarely have what you want in stock. Most has to be ordered online from the warehouse and turns up some time days or weeks later, maybe. Meanwhile you could order from another online retailer and get it next day.

In the last few years I’ve gone in an Evans I’ve generally walked out again not having found what I want. Nothing exotic, just stuff like brake fluid, bottom bracket, chain link, standard tools. They just stock stuff for shopper and commuter bikes.

I’ve also even ordered online, gone to collect and told it hasn’t arrived. Online indication of stock levels in store isn’t accurate either. Trying to get a helmet I liked in the right size and could try on, and it was in stock in two of my local stores… no it wasn’t. They could order it though, in week or two. In one case they said I’d have to pay for it up front just to try it on!

In the main their business is selling bikes, though I rarely see people walk out with a new bike. Okay that’s anecdotal.

Will say though, back in the day, bought a torque wrench, not only did they sell them back then, but the guy there went out of his way to explain its operation and how to take care of it.

word from my ex colleagues is that they’re not in danger of going under any time soon

A lot of bosses will say this to staff and maybe believe it themselves. Seen it in many companies. Lots of assurances everything is great, look at these figures. Then the place goes tits up.

RustySpanner

Most worrying is what will happen to Pinnacle.

P-Jay
    Free Member

A lot of bosses will say this to staff and maybe believe it themselves. Seen it in many companies. Lots of assurances everything is great, look at these figures. Then the place goes tits up.

Yep, I was told along with everyone else in RBS in early 2008 that it was only a temporary blip and we should all buy shares at a special discounted rate for staff, some real true believers did. The discounted rate was about 95% or market value, 6 months later they’d lost 90% or their value and have never recovered.

I cant imagine they had a really great summer and then needed £10m to keep afloat in Sept, if that was true they’d have gone under back in Feb when the Xmas sales cash ran dry.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Been in many times over the years but can’t recall ever buying anything from them apart from a saddle and that was mail order.  They just never seemed to have anything on display that took my fancy.  My local shop is JE James in Chesterfield – I’ve spent loads with them.  They appear to be doing well and have recently massively expanded their E bike section which is where they see the next cycling boom coming from it seems.

cornholio98
    Free Member

How many people buy a new bike every year? How long does it take for market saturation?

From what I can see people just wait for the sales. I mean last seasons cycling shorts are as good as this seasons. There is always somewhere doing a discount and they will drop the item at your door.

Cycling does take some commitment. You need some space for the bike plus if you get tired/bored when cycling you can’t just jump in a taxi. Also around me they banned bikes from trains which did not help…

mooman
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>mikewsmith
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

The UK is in an interesting financial position at the moment in the middle of huge uncertainty that at it’s very definition would impact discretionary spending.

</div>

Are you able to look at anything and not see your very own Brexit doomsday?

As for Evans; Terrible for the employees – and I have been into the Cardiff branch a couple times, and always found the staff helpful enough. Hopefully a solution can be found if they are in trouble.

RickDraper
    Free Member

You have to question the reasoning for so many cities to have multiple Evans stores pretty close together. Surely they would be better having one store thats well stocked than multiple stores that are close together and poorly stocked?.

whitestone
    Free Member

Leeds had one (now closed) right outside the station then their main store about 150m away.

cornholio98
    Free Member

You have to question the reasoning for so many cities to have multiple Evans stores pretty close together

Saturation of stores increases overall sales in an area. People will go to the closest to have a look at stock. If you can engage them they will most likely be too lazy to go to a different store but maybe not to shop online.

bigdean

I’ve not shopped at Evans for a few since the staff at the notts store blatantly lied about a click and collect being ready.

Shame another big retailer going, though I’ve been trying to use local shop for some small stuff.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Saturation of stores increases overall sales in an area. People will go to the closest to have a look at stock. If you can engage them they will most likely be too lazy to go to a different store but maybe not to shop online.

But how much is that floorspace costing them in say London?

kimbers

Are you able to look at anything and not see your very own Brexit doomsday?

Brexit is a factor in the closure of many stores, falling £, inflation & consumer confidence adding pressure, to an already vulnerable sector

Brexit & retail in 2018: Will the high street turn into Fury Road?

If you voted for it you really ought to have the courage to accept the consequences of your actions

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I’ve bought less and less off them in the last year. Prices too high compared to others being the main reason. The only time I tried their price match, they said they couldn’t match it!

Never seemed to have the tyres, brake pads or parts I wanted in their shops. Always the crap combinations of compound, casing, sizes and pad material you don’t want. Much better than Halfords or Decathlon TBF, anyone for a Conti Diesel, 2.2 High Roller super tacky or their own brand plastic tyres!

The collect option came in handy a few times.

duner
    Free Member

Interesting to see a mixture of ‘will be a shame to see them gone’ and ‘they’re shit I know how to run a shop better’ type responses. From my decade working for them I would say that on the whole they treat their staff fairly, there’s great room for progression if you’re good at your job, and overall i enjoyed my time there.

They stock a bigger range of bikes, accesories and clothing than pretty much any other shop, but suffer from a ‘love to hate’ attitude by enthusiasts of the sport when they don’t have a relatively obscure part in stock. Though something like brake fluid may seem like an essential item, and they should stock it, but even their biggest stores would probably sell 1 bottle a month, compared to 20 pairs of gloves occupying the same shelf space.

When I started in the mid 2000’s they stocked a decent range of components, forks, interesting frames etc in some stores. With the rise of internet shopping, CRC and others continued with their quest to sell grey import components for less than the trade price through the official channels, it became uneconomical to compete on parts, and hence not worth stocking in stores apart from basic repair items for the average commuter. So Evans never really went for the heavily discounted component market in the way that PX, Ribble , Merlin , CRC and Wiggle did. Allthough this may have lost some of the more ‘expert’ customers, I feel they did not contribute to the death of the LBS in the way the others above have done, but their physical high street presence made them the scapegoat for shops closing etc.

The article in the OP is highly speculative, and I very much doubt things are that serious at the moment. The industry has suffered a slowdown since the boom of 2012, but cycling is still growing in popularity and people like to test ride / collect a bike from a physical store. It’s not the same as Maplins, House of Fraser etc who are no longer relevant on the UK high street .

Good luck to my ex colleagues but I’m sure they will be ok.

IdleJon

No kidding. I couldn’t believe when they opened up in Cardiff. Their location is really awkward yet expensive, and they did so in a city with a number of well-used, well-established LBS

Also, like a lot of Evans stores, the merchandising is really poor. A basic bike shop system is to put bikes in order of price. Not Evans. Another basic of retail is to make sure everything is priced. Not Evans. They even put bikes up on a stand with a spec sheet and whatever, but then don’t put a price on it. The Cardiff store is gloomy, with spotlights that shine in your eyes, and it’s not laid out sensibly – not an easy store to find things in. That’s if you can be bothered to walk to the wrong side of the city centre and negotiate a busy main road to get there.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 620 total)

The topic ‘Oh dear, is Evans next?’ is closed to new replies.