Home Forums Notice – STW any issues ?

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 978 total)
  • Notice – STW any issues ?
  • Cougar2
    Free Member

Can confirm, an account with zero posts is faster…!

(PSA: temp account authorised by Mark until they get this sorted)

hot_fiat

I have the same issue as RNP on my iphone.  Found the ezoic cookie, binned it from all sites, logged out and back in, saw the ads disappear for about an hour then come back again when I revisit the page.

[Mod] from Mark’s recent post:

We are now using a metatag rather than a cookie to determine your ad status. For those that know how to check the metatag is called ezoic_ad_suppression

That tag should be present on every page while your are logged in as a full member.

One issue this has brought to our attention is that clearing cookies now won’t fix the problem if you are seeing ads when you shouldn’t. What we suspect may be happening in those cases is that your browser is serving a version of the page from it’s own internal cache that does not have this metatag. That may happen if your browser caches the page before you login and after you are logged in it serves up that cached version of the page without the metatag.

Clearing the stored cache data on your device could fix this. This is how you do this on a mobile device.

On Android in chrome click the three dots and then select ‘Clear Browsing Data.’

On iOS Chrome click the three dots and tnen click ‘Delete browsing data’

Instructions for other browsers on mobile may vary but essentailly you are looking to clear out any stored cached page files from the site. This shoudl result in you getting a clean verion of the page with the metatag present.

Let me know how you get on with that.

gray

Is it just number of posts, or could there be an effect of duration of membership too? I don’t post much at all, but I’ve been around forever… For me it seems pretty slow, but hard to compare!

DickBarton

Think Mark had suggested several hard refreshes to make sure all was cleared and sorted…

scotroutes

I’m logged in on my phone (Chrome browser) but get Password is incorrect) when trying to log in on my PC (also Chrome browser). I get ?err=invalid_nonce&um-hash=05b66f in the URL

[Mod] fyi Mark’s post from 5 days ago:

This login bug is another priority for us this week along with messaging. It’s a tricky one because it’s intermittent and only affects some users.

If any users are having login issues, particularly where it says your password is incorrect but you KNOW it’s correct and the password reset email process doesn’t work (ie. you get the email with the reset link but after changing your password it still says your password is incorrect). Then email me directly at mark@singletrackworld.com and I will get you in by sending you a reset link that will work. Put ‘login problem’ as your email title and I’ll make sure to look out for it.

In this case we know what is happening but not the why. Again, intermittent bugs are the worst. But for those that are interested..

There are two ways to login to our site. Running on WordPress as we are there is the default WordPress login system. We use a plugin (Software) called Ultimate Member that does all the user account management and messaging stuff. It also helps us control our subscriptions. Ultimate Member has it’s own login system and we use this one for the site. However, it seems this bug is causing the site to occasionally get mixed up between the two and this is leading to the login bug for a small number of users intermittently. It happened to me over the weekend and it sorted itself out in a few hours. Our mission is to work out what is causing this bug to happen.

scotroutes

AND, it’s working fine on Edge.

AND it won’t work in Chrome Incognito mode.

I’ve checked that they are all trying the same userid/password combination

Cougar2
    Free Member

I get ?err=invalid_nonce

Are you trying to log in as Peterfile?

Clear the browser cache.

northernsoul

I have the same issue as scotroutes in Safari/MacBook Air (incorrect password). Clearing cache, removing cookies or using Firefox (which I don’t usually use for Singletrack, so there’s no cache or stored cookies) gives the same problem. Still logged in on iPad.

kilo

Same here, logged out and can’t login on iPad, logged in on iPhone

scotroutes

Clear the browser cache.

Doesn’t make any difference.

Cougar2
    Free Member

Dunno then.

A nonce error occurs when WordPress gets an unexpected response from a browser.  If you’ve cleared the cache and done a hard refresh of the page then I don’t know what else it can be.

garage-dweller

Logged in on Win11 but on Android phone I cannot login (get wrong password message).

Tried to change password but it tells me my forgotten password link is invalid when I do (tried twice).

At least it’ll stop me spending time on here tomorrow and I’ll get some jobs done 😉

Tom83

Had the same problem last night on android phone chrome. Seems to be sorted now. Tried to change passwords last night a couple of time before giving up.

ransos
    Free Member

Tried to change password but it tells me my forgotten password link is invalid when I do (tried twice).

Same here, on Chrome and Edge. All seems fine now.

nixie

I had the login issue yesterday (chrome android). Cleared site data this morning though did not check it was still broken first. Now logged in.

Poopscoop

Similar here last night, couldn’t log in, changed password 3 times but password was still invalid. Logged in first time today though. 🙂

Android, chrome.

scotroutes

I’ve suddenly realised that the in STW stands for whack-a-mole.

chakaping

Well the forum is lovely and speedy when I’m not logged in, so I guess I’ve only got myself to blame for posting so much on here over the years.

Think I’ll try to cut back on my time here rather than set up a new account.

garage-dweller

I still cannot log in from Android (Chrome, Duck Duck Go) – still getting wrong password messages and I tried both the one I know it is and the one I tried to change it to before getting “invalid” messages.  Fine on Windows on a pc.

Tried clearing browsing data.  🙁

garage-dweller

I still cannot log in from Android (Chrome, Duck Duck Go) – still getting wrong password messages and I tried both the one I know it is and the one I tried to change it to before getting “invalid” messages.  Fine on Windows on a pc.

Tried clearing browsing data.  🙁

Just adding to this, it seems that the problems persist this morning and I also cannot log in on a different Windows device (Edge and Chrome on that).  Also cannot log in via Edge on phone.

I’ve e-mailed tech@ as well.

blokeuptheroad

And another.  Logged out on Android phone and can’t log back in. Google Pixel 7a on Chrome.  Definitely correct log in details, tried several times.  I’ve cleared the cache etc. but it makes no difference.  I’m typing this on a Chromebook.  I was also logged out on that this morning but able to log back in.

Cougar2
    Free Member

I’ve e-mailed tech@ as well.

It’s tech-support@ these days.

RustyNissanPrairie

My iPad doesn’t have adverts, my iphone does.

The free of charge Berlingo forum and Pistonheads are both still running fine…….

scotroutes

Still can’t login on PC/Chrome.

Logged in on PC/Edge

Logged in on Android/Chrome

I tried the Password Reset option from PC/Chrome but that didn’t work either.

blokeuptheroad

Still can’t log in on my phone which is how I mainly use the forum.  I’m starting to question the point of paying for a subscription I can’t use.

bruneep

Can’t login on phone either, yet here I am with same login on laptop?

You “fix” one thing you break another, its not a good look is it?

scotroutes

@chakaping – I wonder whether some ability to delete old posts would help? Not sure how the forum would handle it of course.

Drac

“[Mod] from Mark’s recent post:

We are now using a metatag rather than a cookie to determine your ad status. For those that know how to check the metatag is called ezoic_ad_suppression

That tag should be present on every page while your are logged in as a full member.

One issue this has brought to our attention is that clearing cookies now won’t fix the problem if you are seeing ads when you shouldn’t. What we suspect may be happening in those cases is that your browser is serving a version of the page from it’s own internal cache that does not have this metatag. That may happen if your browser caches the page before you login and after you are logged in it serves up that cached version of the page without the metatag.

Clearing the stored cache data on your device could fix this. This is how you do this on a mobile device.

On Android in chrome click the three dots and then select ‘Clear Browsing Data.’ ”

Instructions for other browsers on mobile may vary but essentailly you are looking to clear out any stored cached page files from the site. This shoudl result in you getting a clean verion of the page with the metatag present.

Let me know how you get on with that.

blokeuptheroad

Drac, I don’t know if the same solution is supposed to work for a failed login in as well as the spurious ads? Spoiler – it doesn’t. I’ve tried.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’m on IOS Safari and have cleared data/cookies/history/everything and rebooted Safari but I’m still getting ads on the home page but discussion pages are ad free.

gray

I was logged out (I didn’t do it, I normally never get logged out) earlier today. Holy moly the forum is fast when logged out! I saw no ads either… (Chrome on iPhone). I was loathe to do anything about it because, well, superfast and no ads!

But then I tried logging back in, got denied (definitely correct password, from password manager). Tried resetting my password, reset link came through but was told it was invalid. Cleared cache etc., no joy. Logged in on Safari instead – old password now works. Got ads there (before logging in BTW) but forum slow again. Then realised that I had been trying my new password on Chrome, so went back to Chrome and successfully logged back in with my old password. Forum is slow for me again.

Cool story huh?

I’m about to log out again to see if it’s still fast with no ads. If so then I might stay logged out and only log in when I feel the need to post something…

Gribs

Then realised that I had been trying my new password on Chrome, so went back to Chrome and successfully logged back in with my old password

Thanks for posting that. I couldn’t log in earlier after being told my password was invalid so did the password reset. Subsequently it’s said the same with the “new password”. The old one now works again.

Ambrose

I’m back in, having been unable to log in on either my laptop or my android phone.

Which is probably for the best because like a number of people above I was more than a bit frustrated with the repetitive breakages with the forum. But hey, my name is printed in the back of the magazine so that’s ok. (Yup, there’s a magazine and it’s usually really good ??).

Will the thumb up emoji work I wonder?

Ambrose

Nope, it didn’t.

blokeuptheroad

I’ve now been able to log back in on my phone. Using the same password and username it’s been telling me are “incorrect” for the past 2 days. Small wins.

mashr

I’m another in that camp. Was logged in to work laptop earlier (Firefox) now can’t get in. Wasn’t able to login on phone (Safari) now can.

Caching (or something) seems all over the place too, as sometimes seeing up to date info and other times not

gray

I was blocked from logging in again for most of today. Again… logged out was super snappy, and no ads at all!

Now I’m logged in again it’s back to usual slow pace.

(I’ve just checked: since 2009 I’ve made 1009 forum posts. That’s not in the same league as Cougar!)

Gribs

I couldn’t log in on my work pc earlier (windows + chrome) as I was getting the password error but can now at home (windows + chrome)

garage-dweller

It’s tech-support@ these days.

@Mark
    if this is correct the Contact Us page is out of date.

I am back in now and in the end I think it sorted itself out.

Thank you to whichever moderator sent me a message with Mark’s older post.  It’s NOT the same as the Ad cookie / metatag issue.  It’s further up the thread for anyone still stuck this is what it said…

This login bug is another priority for us this week along with messaging. It’s a tricky one because it’s intermittent and only affects some users.

If any users are having login issues, particularly where it says your password is incorrect but you KNOW it’s correct and the password reset email process doesn’t work (ie. you get the email with the reset link but after changing your password it still says your password is incorrect). Then email me directly at mark@singletrackworld.com and I will get you in by sending you a reset link that will work. Put ‘login problem’ as your email title and I’ll make sure to look out for it.

In this case we know what is happening but not the why. Again, intermittent bugs are the worst. But for those that are interested..

There are two ways to login to our site. Running on WordPress as we are there is the default WordPress login system. We use a plugin (Software) called Ultimate Member that does all the user account management and messaging stuff. It also helps us control our subscriptions. Ultimate Member has it’s own login system and we use this one for the site. However, it seems this bug is causing the site to occasionally get mixed up between the two and this is leading to the login bug for a small number of users intermittently. It happened to me over the weekend and it sorted itself out in a few hours. Our mission is to work out what is causing this bug to happen.

scotroutes

I had the “other” password reset link sent to me after emailing Mark, so I can now login OK.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 978 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.