Home Forums Chat Forum Nintendo switch for Christmas, but what?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Nintendo switch for Christmas, but what?
    neilnevill
    Free Member

I’m a non gamer so after some advice on what to buy.   3 kids, 9, 7 and 4.5 so I’m thinking it’s a good time to get a family console and that’s the switch.  So what do I need? I’m thinking :

Option 1. One switch package with mario, another game like sports, a pair of extra joycons

Option 2. One switch package with Mario, one switch package with sports

Option 2 I guess it’s quite a bit more costly but means 2 kids could play each other without it being hooked to the tv.

Are there other options I should consider?

What else do I need? What subscriptions etc? What is needed to hook to the tv? What about charging? Do these bits all come in the bundles?  What about carry cases or screen stands?

Thanks for helping!

chambord

Just to throw a spanner in the works: Switch 2 is a few months away and strong rumours of backwards compatibility. Won’t be released before Christmas though.

bluerob

The OLED Switch has a much better stand so two or three can easily play on the screen at a table away from the TV.

Mario Kart and Mario Wonder both great for 3 or 4 way multiplayer (with extra controller obvs.) with the age differences of your kids.

If you want two consoles playing the same game, you usually need two copies of the game.

It comes with all you need to play with TV / away from TV. Batteries most definitely included!

johnnystorm

Untitled Goose Game is a hilarious two player game.

Pikmin 4 is way better than the tedium that the Pokemon games are and has a co-op mode.

Treat yourself to Sniper Elite 4. The novelty never wears off shooting Nazis.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’d get a switch + a second set of joy cons in another colourway. That means you can play ‘serious’ games as two player but still play 4 player on some stuff (Mario Kart, Mario Wonder etc).

Mario Kart almost essential for family races.
    Mario Odyssey great but really only one player (a second player can be the hat but it’s not really a two player game).
    Mario Wonder has a proper 2p Co-op game.

You can get a very good zip pouch for the switch + games + controllers from all sorts of places for under £15 which is worthwhile if you are thinking of taking it out and about.

We got the non OLED one and since it’s docked for playing on the big TV 95% of the time, that’s completely fine (for us).

neilnevill
    Free Member

Sh yes of course,  console to console gaming would need a second copy of the game,  oops.

Superficial,  that sounds like the just use I imagine we want.

Tbh, unless there are any 2 console packages then option 1 as a gateway to option 2 is only the pair of joycons more costly…. I think.

jamiemcf

We’re thinking of a switch this Christmas. It’ll be my first foray into consoles since the PlayStation. The last game I played was warcraft 2 and the only games I currently play are minesweeper and freecell .

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Generic Switch controllers are pretty cheap on Amazon. We bought 4 for playing Mariocart as a family on the TV.

tartanscarf

The switch is a great family console.  I’d buy a pro controller as well as some extra joy cons.  Mario Kart is great, Zelda may capture their imagination too.  Stickman is fantastic fun too, love playing that with the kids.

martymac

I have a switch game with about 30 sega games on it.
    Can’t remember how much it cost but it wasn’t a terrible price.
    Been well played though.

jimmy748

ratherbeintobago

Pro controller is much better than two Joycons on a handle for playing docked.

neilnevill
    Free Member

So it’s looking like one switch package with Mario cart, a couple of pro controllers, and another couple of games, Mario wonder and sport perhaps.   That should make a fun family Christmas I hope.

If the kids really get into it then extra switches can come for birthdays perhaps.

breadcrumb

My two (5 and 8) love Mario Wonders and Mario Kart. I’ve got Zelda TOTK, which is ace, Wrecked, pretty good, Doom and WRC which is too much of a simulator for me.

neilnevill
    Free Member

So my 7yo just sampled Mario kart at a friend’s for the first time…OK, the switch is sealed for Christmas!

This seems a decent deal,

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/nintendo-switch-neon-red-and-blue-sports-mario-kart-8-deluxe-minecraft-and-nintendo-switch-online-12-month-membership-bundle-10271432.html

£299 for the console, 12 months subscription,  Mario key,  sports and Minecraft.

Add in 4 generic pro controllers (~4x£15) and Mario bro wonders (£40) and Christmas sorted for £400.  Then if they really get hooked and we find a growing need to use on the move we could get a second,  or maybe a switch 2, come birthday time.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Double post.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.