Home Forums Bike Forum New York Bike Hire

• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by 5lab.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New York Bike Hire
  • susepic

I’m in New York for a couple of days with work, and will get a few odd hours here and there. I have packed shorts for the hotel gym peloton, but wondering if anyone has hired a bike for a couple of laps of central park, and any recommendations?

Thanks all

akeys001

i used waterfront bike shop on the lower west side a few years ago – they were fab although the bikes weren’t amazing – they showed me the quietest route up to central park and on to upper ny – was fab

silentgrunt

I used these guys – https://bikerent.nyc/

Very painless process and seemed to be good value 2 years ago. Bikes are basic but felt rapid compared to my enduro rig! We basically cycled around the whole of Manhatten – New York is a great place to cycle. Very jealous

tthew

It was a few years ago, but I was handed a flyer for a bike rental shop that was up by Central Park. I’m not recommending the shop, (couldn’t remember the name of it if I tried) but the leaflet bloke asked us to make sure we used his code on the advert so he got his commission cut. So there you go, you can do a hard up local a favour too if you get offered a flyer.

Bikes were basic, but well maintained, I remember that much.US is such a litigious society I suspect they have to be safe to minimise the risk of being sued after an accident.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

If you’re only looking to do sightseeing, the Citibikes ( NYC version of ‘Boris bikes’) are great.  No worries about locking a hire bike when you stop somewhere, just dock it and pick up another when you’re ready.

Cycling infrastructure is very good there and if you’re comfortable in traffic, midtown Manhattan roads are quite an experience.

susepic

Thanks folks, am on W54th so that bikerent place looks ideal.

Thinking I’d get in a couple of laps of central park on Sunday morning. Suspect it’s gonna be busy mind.

5lab
    Free Member

just use a citibike for central park – its more a pleasant ride doing a bit of people watching than flat out laps imo

jkomo

Yeah citi bike here- you can also ride over the Brooklyn Bridge for great views of the city. Take it easy, enjoy the views, stop for a coffee.

sockpuppet

The bike path on the Hudson goes the whole length of Manhattan, it’s great.

you can ride over the GW bridge to Jersey too if you want, some great views from up there.

susepic

Thanks everyone, went with Unlimited Bike on W56 and 6 close to the hotel. Saw lots of them about and was able to hire a road bike. Did park laps as bit short of time. Great to be out and enjoying the scene with electric skate boards, skates, scooters, runners, walkers, dancers, food deliverers etc etc, horse and carriage, rickshaw.

5lab
    Free Member

you can also ride over the Brooklyn Bridge for great views of the city.

you can ride over the bridge, but no longer on the top (pedestrian) deck so you no longer have the views that make it worthwhile. Better to drop the bike at a station on one side of the bridge, walk over with the views and pick another up on the other side.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.