Home Forums Bike Forum New waterproof jacket time – your recommendations please

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • New waterproof jacket time – your recommendations please
    stevede
    Free Member

Not fully waterproof but this Gore Lupra goretex infinium jacket looks like a decent winter option https://www.gorewear.com/en-uk/lupra-jacket-mens-100853, with the sale and the 20EXTRA code it gives you almost £100 off rrp bringing it down to £91. All colours and most sizes across the board. I’ve just taken a punt on one.

jekkyl

I’m after a waterproof jacket and I wandered into alpkit, jackets on the peg there £220! I raised my eyebrows and left. Do you really need to spend that much to get a truly waterproof jacket? Been reading that it needs to have over 20k mm of hydro something. Can anyone recommend a long jacket with a hood for hiking with a rating over 20k for less than £100?

prettygreenparrot

@jekkyl I think there was a decathlon waterproof breathable coat recommended earlier in the thread that fit that budget.

Lots of companies, Alpkit included, have sign up discounts, frequent sales, and some have STW subscriber discounts. If you’re in no rush and have your eye on a particular item look out for these.

Like many things, beyond a certain threshold the gains are incremental.

prettygreenparrot

I got to test the Showers Pass Refuge in some fairly heavy rain yesterday.

It is waterproof.

It is breathable. Fairly warm weather despite the wind and rain (maybe 16C) plus brisk walking it got a bit sweaty with the vents shut.

The hood is OK for walking. Cinched down it fitted securely enough on my head in stiff gusts of wind. It has no stiffener on the peak so a bit floppy. As it is a zip on/off hood its coverage around the face is limited.

Seems like a great compromise so far and what I wanted.

Kramer
    Free Member

Pick any two:

• Waterproof
    • Cheap
    • Durable
    scruff9252

I bought an Alpkit waterproof jacket last summer – it’s OK and still waterproof 12 months later. It does feel a bit too lightweight and I cannot see the waterproofing lasting another 12 months; I expect it’ll start to fail and leak this winter.

I am however prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Not fully waterproof but this Gore Lupra goretex infinium jacket looks like a decent winter option https://www.gorewear.com/en-uk/lupra-jacket-mens-100853, with the sale and the 20EXTRA code it gives you almost £100 off rrp bringing it down to £91. All colours and most sizes across the board. I’ve just taken a punt on one.

cheers for this, looked at the positive reviews on line and also taken a punt (especially as it now has 25EXTRA code!)

13thfloormonk

wear a long sleeve top/base layer with it.

This for sure.

I’ve owned a few high end waterproofs and basically it seems that the less you wash them the better! Rinsing mud off etc. but just avoid getting sweat or oil (or midge repellent, or sun cream 🙄) on the inside.

I have no real faith in DWR and even less faith in tumble drying the jackets to re-activate the DWR, it seems far too risky and no matter how careful I’ve been I’ve seen jackets delaminate after one or two careful/low temp tumble dries.

Get Gore, wear a base layer, try to avoid wearing it as much as possible (I keep mine rolled up in a back jersey pocket so I can take it on and off as quickly and easily as possible).

Those Endure jackets look great!

stevede
    Free Member

Get in – 25% now!!! Went too soon, still a bargain! They just sent me a code for £50 off £200 spend on full price if anyone is looking at the Endure jacket. THANKYOU50 valid until 1st Oct. Not sure if it’s linked to my account but worth a punt if you’re buying anyway.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

@jekkyl I had the Alpkit Balance jacket and would not recommend it. Was OK for about a year but after that it was basically like wearing a cotton shirt. The last straw was when I was camping and took my kid to the toilet block about 100m away – put the jacket on dry and jogged to the toilet and back but the return journey was enough for it to soak through and me need to change my t-shirt.

Assume this is down to the DWR expiring although I had reproofed it in Nikwax, but even with the DWR off you’d expect the membrane to keep out a couple of minutes rain. Replaced with a Goretex based jacket.

zippykona

My decathlon jacket is arriving today. Thankfully Cornwall is supplying rain for me to try it out next week.

StirlingCrispin

Gore Lupra goretex infinium jacket looks like a decent winter option

But Infinium is not waterproof.

Water resistant yes – and a fantastic material for the right job (Infinium gloves are the dogs – and I fancy a Gore Phantom Infinium jacket for winter riding) but this is not a jacket for a wet day.

stevede
    Free Member

No, you missed the first 3 words of that when you quoted. Not fully waterproof. I couldn’t be bothered making a separate thread, I just thought I’d share a good deal on what looks to me to be a decent winter option. To me it does look like a good winter option. Fully waterproof jackets are only really good for me when it’s pouring with rain and freezing (I live in Cornwall so fairly mild), any other time a soft shell style jacket works better. Any jacket for a U.K. winter is a compromise one way or another.

luket

I’ve gone for the Gore Endure. I’ll demote my MT500 to everyday off the bike use, for which I like it anyway and am lacking another jacket, so it’s not really a waste.

I couldn’t get the 20/25EXTRA codes to work but the THANKYOU50 one did, which is 20% here anyway.

nickc

I’ve gone for the Gore Endure.

Made from the same material as my Montane, It’s very waterproof 👍

spannermonkey

Thinking this one as it’s essentially the Endure jacket without the hood

https://www.gorewear.com/en-uk/gore-tex-paclite-jacket-mens-100651

And the 25EXTRA code works to bring it down to £112.49 inc free shipping

thelawman

Have gone for a Gore Endure too, using the THANKYOU50 code mentioned above by @stevede (thank you). Didn’t try the 20/25EXTRA code, but it may have worked instead.
    With that plus the £50-odd that I was willing to throw at re-taping an old MT500, until it was condemned as BLR, that effectively prices the Gore at £150. Hopefully it’s as good as the recommendations suggest.

hammerandcycle
    Free Member

I ordered a large endure jacket which was a bit too small, the returns process isn’t straight forward now we have left the EU. My return is stuck in customs despite filling out all the corect paperwork. I have recived an XL jacket which I’m happy with so just hoping I don’t end up chasing the refund for the large.

I found a discount code useing the power of Google which gives a 35% off full priced items, not sure if it’s still valid “JORDYN35”

anderzz
    Free Member

I’d probably get this for £137 if I was buying a jacket now.

https://www.revolutionrace.co.uk/men/jackets/shell-jackets/cyclone-lx-jacket-men

Alternatively I’m a huge fan of a brand called Helikon Tex. They do awesome kit, mainly military / bushcraft stuff. The quality is always top.

They do a jacket called the Squall Hardshell which I’m likely to be buying soon. But that will be an all purpose jacket and not cycle specific.

webbierwrex
    Free Member

Did you buy the Gore Endure? I ordered one and it’s arrived, the fit is good etc but I am worried about breathability. All the reviews of the specific jacket say it’s amazing and very breathability but all reviews of Gore paclite plus I can find say it’s very not-breathable.

I’m a bit confused if I should keep it or not.

Also wondering about the idea of asking a seamstress to add some ventilation zips but maybe that just indicates it’s not the right jacket.

My use case is mostly my 30 minute commute but also walking/standing in a playground in the rain with my kid.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.