Home Forums Bike Forum New to 29er so please humour me!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New to 29er so please humour me!
    bikerevivesheffield

Old bike:

Aeris am160 with 170mm fork

New bike:

Aeris am9 with 150 or 160mm fork

The old setup/bar/seat height were dialled perfectly for me. Do I mimic this as closely as possible or is it more “suck it and see” on bar height?

susepic

Set it up close to old bike and then adjust from there

dickie
    Free Member

New to 29er so please humour me!

Your a bit late, we’re on 36ers now;

The True 36: 36″ MTB

DickBarton

I found the previous height stuff wasn’t right going from an Aeris 120 LT (27.5) to an Aether 9 (29) – both same travel at rear but the 9 was 150mm.forks rather than 140mm – however, I have a higher front end on the 9 and it has been fantastic.

Saddle height also appears to be slightly higher – I do t mean amount of post showing I mean actual saddle height from ground is slightly higher.

I’m not feeling as pitched forward as I was and I’m finding it far comfier on descents (although I’m still needing to up my descending ability).

I last tried a 29er in 2018 and it was absolutely awful, really slow in the right twisty stuff and cornering felt like it took an age. Pleasantly impressed with the Aether 9 as it feels much quicker in the turns and despite needing to use a slightly easier gear on the climbs, it seems to move over everything with more ease.

Sorry, bit of a story there!

DickBarton

Oh and if you don’t want to run a water bottle cage on your bike, would you sell me the adapter please? When I asked previously, I got offered a 3d printed one but I’m not keen on £18 asking price…so hoping someone gets a new Bird and doesn’t want the bottle cage adapter and I can get it for cheaper than that!

bikerevivesheffield

Lol about the cage. I’ll have a look if I can fit one in somehow first

DickBarton

The adapter realigns the position of the cage so it sits a bit further down the frame and is slightly flatter.
    If you have no luck and don’t want the adapter, please give me a shout, as I’d be very keen on it, ta.

bikerevivesheffield

I know what the adapter does as use it on the am160

bikerevivesheffield

I’ll let you know

Assuming I’ve got the right bikes – not huge differences. Bigger stack on the new bike, which I presume you can sort with less spacers/less bar rise – or you might like it?

Reach only 6mm difference and ETT the same

Geometry Geeks

bikerevivesheffield

@DickBarton the fidlock bottle fits well so will be using the mount sorry

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.