Home Forums Bike Forum New PX Winter shoes

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New PX Winter shoes
  • MrSparkle

I was interested to see that PX have got some new Carnac winter shoes out. I can’t help thinking that even in their photos there is a big gap in the ‘cuff’ round the ankle that will just let the water in no matter how much the front is protected.

I was kind of hoping that they would bring back Das Boot. That looked a better option to me.

https://planetx.co.uk/products/carnac-winter-havra-off-road-mtb-shoe-black

IHN

I’ve just read the email, and you’ve just read my mind.

In the photos, they’ve really done quite well to demonstrate how poor they ankle cuff is

highlandman
    Free Member

I’m not convinced that this is as poor as those first two posters suggest.  That looks about as effective as most others, bearing in mind the big hole that’s needed at the top to let your foot in.  But being a much better price than many, so these might be a decent, viable option for an everyday winter boot.

hardtailonly

They’re not advertised as waterproof, which to me, seems a basic requirement of a winter boot.

IHN

Yeah. I’m in the market for a new set of winter boots to replace my 13(?) year old Shimano MW81s. Given the choice between these and paying an extra £40 for the latest Shimano Goretex ones (MW702s), my money’s on Shimano.

That looks about as effective as most others, bearing in mind the big hole that’s needed at the top to let your foot in.

I dunno, the cuff on my boots allow a good amount of ankle flex and still stay ‘sealed’ , without the big gap that can be seen on the photos of the Carnac boots

highlandman
    Free Member

I’m not seeing that… there’s a full width, full height internal tongue and a flap that covers that, all the way to the back of eth ankle on the outside.  Seems like that’s as good as any other design to me.  Very similar to most Shimano, possibly more coverage than MW81 and similar to current Endura.

IHN

markup_1000010360

MrSparkle

Yep, that’s the pic I was on about. Off putting.

highlandman
    Free Member

hmm.. hadn’t seen that image.  see what you mean.  Could be a skinny ankled model, a shoe that’s a size too large.. or a poor design.  Either way, a poorly chosen image, for sure!

highlandman
    Free Member

Still a much better fit and coverage than my old Lakes, which I wore to death over several years as a ‘winter’ boot but not a waterproof one…

suspendedanimation

Just doesn’t look tightened enough, probably to keep the shape more rounded and look more pleasing generally. That is no different to my adidas five ten boots. Fine if wrapped tight.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I don’t usually wear thick socks with my Das Boots and I wouldn’t say I have small lower shins, but I have to go very close to the velcro limit to get the cuff to be reasonably snug.

fasthaggis

The cuffs on Northwave Artics were the only ones that I ever felt got close to a good seal on a winter boot,but by eck they could be real barstewards to get on.

I now use Shimano MW5s and add GripGrab cuffs,they work pretty well as water deflectors.

bitmuddytoday
    Free Member

Speaking from Fizik experience, that zip is near certain to cause problems

cookeaa

Zips eh? On a product you expect users to get wet and muddy… Bold choice.

They do at least have the pixie boot look down, assuming that’s what people are after.

I’d maybe give them a whirl if they were =<£50 as a back up pair for when I (inevitably) want to go for a ride and it’s cold but I’ve not dried out my MW5s, but otherwise they’re a bit steep for what they are IMO

IHN

I’d maybe give them a whirl if they were =<£50 as a back up pair for when I (inevitably) want to go for a ride and it’s cold but I’ve not dried out my MW5s

I’d spend your £50 on a MaxxDry shoedryer

Stinky boots and shoes…

dickie
    Free Member

The cuff looks adjustable so it could be done up tighter than shown in the picture.

I have Shimano with a similar cuff & it can be done up tight in complete contrast to the NorthWave pair I also have which is like a short sock cuff but with no adjustment and is always baggy with a gap.

For the last two years I been using these leg shields with winter boots that can be done up tight over a winter boot cuff & add a seal over. They also take all the shit from the front wheel so after a ride that can be just removed to leave clean longs underneath.

Don’t ride without them in winter nowadays.

Leg Shield Bike Trouser Protector – Completely Protects Cyclist’s Trousers from Grease and Chain Unlike Existing Straps and Clips – Comfortable, Snug Fit, Easy On/Off (1 Unit) : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

intheborders
    Free Member

Zips eh? On a product you expect users to get wet and muddy… Bold choice.

My +5 year old Mavic’s say otherwise.

https://www.southforkracing.co.uk/footwear/shoes/mavic-crossmax-sl-pro-thermo-waterproof-winter-mtb-boot__13660

fossy

If I’m out all day and know the conditions are going to be bad, I use dry suit wrist cuffs (the ankle cuffs are quite large for dry suits) over the top of the shoe neoprene to create a very good seal.  Grip Grab and VeloToze seem to be the main bike specific ones.

For general use and commuting I don’t bother – Light rain, my Altura MTB trousers are fine for keeping the majority of the rain out. Heavy rain, I use waterproof pants, which covers the cuff so keeps my feet dry.

That said the PX shoes are a bargain compared to the MW7 (I have two pairs of MW7’s).

cookeaa

That said the PX shoes are a bargain compared to the MW7 (I have two pairs of MW7’s).

Well they’re cheaper than the MW7, They can only really be a bargain if they’re on par with an MW7 comfort, insulation and water resistance wise, Which I can’t believe they are TBH.

I still reckon the fairer comparison would be with the MW5 (which I happen to have) those are available for only marginally more spend, like I said for £50 (maybe £60?) I’d consider the gamble for a second pair of winter boots, but I’ll let someone else risk £100 to find out for sure.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.