Home Forums Bike Forum NBD: feels like cheating

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • NBD: feels like cheating
    reeksy

Finally scratched the itch and picked up a newer model Highball for commute, gravel, light singletrack . Immaculate second hand bike from a retiree. Just how do people manage to keep their bikes in such good condition? Did a local ride this morning and flew round at +1km av speed faster than when I was really trying on my last bike. 9.5kg feels like cheating…I like it.IMG_8428

ElShalimo

You really need to cut your grass

reeksy

No point. It’ll all get burnt at some point anyway.

matt_outandabout

Yes to that colour. ?

Indeed I’ve tried a few new bikes around the block recently. I’m struggling to go from a 10.5kg HT to a 13,14 even 15kg FS for this reason.

Both LBS tells me I ‘need’ 150mm of skill compensation and weight is but a number.

But there is something about a lighter, nippier, faster accelerating, more direct ride that’s so engaging…

martinhutch

I’m struggling to go from a 10.5kg HT to a 13,14 even 15kg FS for this reason.

There is really no need for a FS to be big and heavy if the majority of your riding is relatively tame. I’m back down to 100mm up front for the Dales, it copes fine with the few rougher descents that we have, and is a joy for the other 90% of the ride.

mert
    Free Member

I’m struggling to go from a 10.5kg HT to a 13,14 even 15kg FS for this reason.

Get an 10.5 kilo FS then?

IHN

Matt – have you seen this in the classifieds?

citizenlee
    Free Member

Very nice indeed!

The tube/tool/whatever-it-is wrap is bothering me though, feels like it should be under the top tube.

snotrag

Thats awesome. I was out on my similar Carbon Scott Scale last night and I absolutely love it, so, so fast and direct. My Gravel bike hasnt had a look in since I bought the Scale in 2023.

hopefiendboy

Sure that is only 9.5kg ??

But yes semantics aside a nice light hardtail is great ? ?

intheborders
    Free Member

Sure that is only 9.5kg ??

Add on a couple of kg’s I reckon – and it looks too small, with a layback post (and mid-mounted saddle).

reeksy

The tube/tool/whatever-it-is wrap is bothering me though, feels like it should be under the top tube.

That’s the light battery.

I weighed it at 9.5kg. It certainly feels that light too, compared to my old one which was 10.5…not that the number matters. It’s extremely comfortable and quick (even with me riding it!)

hopefiendboy

Wow. My whippet is sitting at 13kg. Nuts

matt_outandabout

Matt – have you seen this in the classifieds?

Gaaaahh
    That is rather nice.

velocipede
    Free Member

Very nice!

Funnily enough, I was out on my 26″ singlespeed last night for a quck spin and relished the lightness and simplicity – there’s a lot to be said for it!

Having said that, my “best bike” is a Shand Bahookie Rohloff running 120mm forks and a belt drive on 29er wheels – it’s not light but for long rides it’s absolutely brilliant!

mattrockwell
    Free Member

Still never tried a really light hardtail, it’s definitely an itch I’ll have scratch one day.

mert
    Free Member

I went from a sub 9 kilo hardtail to a 12 kilo FS, the FS was faster in 99% of situations (and barely slower in the 1%). I broke the frame eventually.

I have two FS now, one comfortably under 11 and one uncomfortably over 12. Though, ive made so many changes since they were last weighed, i’ve no idea what they weigh now!

corroded
    Free Member

I had a Highball CC a few years ago and it was lots of fun. Sold it as I couldn’t keep the nose down on super-steep climbs around here, whereas I can with my Tallboy.

lovewookie

I can’t help but think that folk are starting to realize that riding  forest fireroads on gravel bikes, although quick, is quite boring and what they really desire is a short travel xc hardtail..

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

That’s a very light ebike! ;)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.