Home Forums Bike Forum NBD – Brother Cycles Big Bro

• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by jfab.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • NBD – Brother Cycles Big Bro
    Vortexracing

Just finished building it, thanks to Projektride up in Edinburgh, the guys got the frame and other bits to me just after Chrimbo.     :-)

Rough Spec =

• Frame size – Small
    • XT Shifter, Chainset (30t) and Rear Mech
    • Formula R1 Racing Brakes
    • Specialized Dropper Post
    • Renthal Carbon Bars
    • SLR XP Saddle
    • ESI Foam Grips
    • SRAM 1295 Cassette
    • 30mm Carbon rims and Hope Pro 4 Hubs
    • Hope BB and Headset

Not had chance to try it yet, needs a different stem and the bar height finalising, then the 2.6 Maxis Rekon/Ikon combo adding to the wheels, but only when summer start to make an appearance.

Bought for Bikepacking in summer plus some local FP’s, BW and Canal path pottering.

IMG_8832IMG_8833IMG_8837IMG_8834IMG_8838IMG_8839IMG_8840

matt_outandabout

That orange is great…

superstu
    Free Member

Thoughts on this? I’m considering one…

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Nice. Always fancied one of those.

Anna-B
    Free Member

That’s gorgeous. I love the yellow Big Bro. If we had space in the shed I would have bought one even though I already have a Big Bro and don’t need another bike…. Hope you’re getting on well with it.

@superstu
    I love mine, have it set up as single speed and ride it over my geared bike 99/100 times.

jameso

Nice! Great colour too.

superstu
    Free Member

@Anna-B that’s what I’m considering, a frame build with SS. Replacing a gravel bike which to be fair I use a fair amount, but fancy a change.

Vortexracing

Its been great TBH, bought a set of Fox 32’s for it (100mm) and they seem fine. It’s a bit ‘old school’ in terms of geometry, especially in TT length. I’m using a 80mm stem at the moment, which seems spot on. The good thing about that is that it could very well lend itself to some drop bars, which is an itch I have ?. Drops, Flats, Geared, SS front suspension or rigid, It truly lends itself to all sort of builds and all helped by external routing (except the dropper)  Its a nice ride, not very lightweight, but still has that nice feel a steel frame gives.

Here it is in Fox 32’s and some narrow rims and mud tyres

IMG_8918

Vortexracing

@superstu
    &

Hope you’re getting on well with it.

I sure am @Anna-B.   ?

Anna-B
    Free Member

@superstu it makes a great gravel bike….

IMG_5805<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

@Vortexracing
    great to see it out and about with mud on it :-D

jfab

I’ve just put a 120mm SID on mine out of curiosity, I’ve been running it as a gravel/xc crossover sort of bike for a while and had a big ride out on Saturday so wanted to see if it noticeably improved my comfort/fatigue over the rigid fork without changing the way it rides too much from the bike I know and love.

I really enjoyed it, and it hasn’t ruined it for me. I’m undecided if I’ll go back to fully rigid but I think it’s unlikely for the short term:

bbu2bb6

Anna-B
    Free Member

Looks great. Where is that second photo taken? I didn’t think I’d keep mine as a rigid bike for so long, I find it a bit fatiguing also in excess of a certain distance. But I realised I can’t bear to take the gold forks off mine so they’ll be staying on :-)

andy5390

Well, if we’re having a Big Bro love-in……………

Love the orange BTW, wasn’t available in 2019

IMG_20200601_092256

jfab

@Anna-B that was taken on the Longmoor Ranges, down near Bordon, Hampshire. Stumbled across a stockpile of training vehicles and had to get a few photos!

I love the look of it with the steel forks, but even with 29×2.4″ at lowish pressures I also found it a bit fatiguing on the arms/shoulder over about the 30 mile mark if I’m riding trails and bridleways rather than fire roads whereas 70 miles at the weekend was a breeze (other than tired legs!).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.