Viewing 40 posts - 5,801 through 5,840 (of 6,928 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • Klunk
    Free Member

58 to win

lowey

Blimey!

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s remorseless ! into the 4th floor! equaled the test match boundary record 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

31 to win 😀

lunge

Who said IPL is bad for test cricket?
    Is this the McCullum effect?

Klunk
    Free Member

boooooo!!!!

ransos
    Free Member

I’m still slightly nervous…

joe-m

Definitely still nervous this is still England were talking about.

kayla1
    Free Member

Was that Jonny Bairstow I just heard knock 130-odd in a test? Jonny Bairstow? Jonny Bairstow?

bigdaddy

Wow!! Just wow, what a finish that was! Amazing knock from Bairstow and Stokes eh…

ransos
    Free Member

It’s hard to believe that at tea it looked like being a draw!

pk13

Had that as a draw all day long .
    Fantastic cricket

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Absolutely astonishing afternoon of test cricket. The sort of thing that gives you goosebumps while laughing in disbelief at the same time. Also sounded like a proper atmosphere – so props to Nottingham for opening up the ground for free today. Well done England

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Remember last summer when England blocked out a draw on the final day against New Zealand?

How would Silverwood and Root have handled today if they’d been in charge?

It all feels a bit different now doesn’t it.

😁

Klunk
    Free Member

made me look like “Will Tavare” 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

.4414.116146..6..6.6..4.14.4…2..421……31.41.664..1.

love Johnnies score at the end/or start of every over

52-60-72-88-96-99-106-122

update

joelowden

Fantastic day’s cricket 👍

CountZero

Absolutely astonishing afternoon of test cricket. The sort of thing that gives you goosebumps while laughing in disbelief at the same time.

Pretty much this! I work with a bloke who’s well into his cricket, as a player as well as watching, and he’s been on about this test, so I started paying attention. Got home this evening and caught part of the day’s roundup, and it was astonishing! That’s cricket at it’s very best.

dantsw13

I loved the way England went for this.

However, I hope they don’t think this is how to play all the time? Most day 5 wickets take spin , are up & down, with big cracks giving excessive movement.

We need to be flexible in the longer term.

Houns

They going to get 500 today? Butler been lucky so far

martinhutch

They should declare just for laughs.

spacemonkey

Buttler cashing in today. I think his 50 came off 20 balls having taken a few sighters. 100 now off of 40 odd and piling on more.

Apparently he’s scored 120 of the last 150 runs! Insane.

johndoh
    Free Member

Bonkers, just bonkers

Liam Livingstone 37 off 9 balls

And it’s looking like the ODI record score will be beaten even if they don’t reach 500.

johndoh
    Free Member

Ohhh that was close – I was hoping for a wide off that last ball LOL!

dantsw13

Crazy, crazy! Butter came in with Malan on 86, and overtook him!!

yetidave
    Free Member

Roy and Morgans innings…lol

dantsw13

Yeah, thanks for coming!!

drlex
    Free Member

On Cricinfo commentary at penultimate ball of the England biffathon – “boring, boring England” was the chant heard.

theotherjonv

Copied from social media; long but worth it for the last bit

MARK NICHOLAS for “The Cricket Monthly”

Batting for Glamorgan, Viv played the greatest innings I ever saw first-hand and I make no apology for telling a story told many times before. Glamorgan weren’t special at the time, so we set them a target well within reach on a very flat pitch at the small Northlands Road ground – 364 on the final day. They were about 140 for 5 at tea but Viv was still there, and for some reason, he was blocking. He was in a filthy mood, exaggerated by the fact that the Glamorgan captain, Alan Butcher, had come out on the dressing-room balcony waving his arms around as if to say, get the hell on with it. I think Viv had decided the others were pretty useless, and in protest was going to block out the draw. We were realistic about Viv – might get him out, might not – but no way could the last five Glamorgan batsmen survive a whole session.

Then, first ball after tea, Viv followed through on a forward-defensive to Tim Tremlett and hit it into Northlands Road. We all looked at each other and thought, ‘Oh my days, here we go!’ And we were right, there we went. They needed more than 200 in the session and he just murdered us. It was fantastic to watch – up to a point.
    Fast forward. With one over of the match left, Viv was 150 not out. To win, 14 were needed and Malcolm Marshall – “the greatest fast bowler in the world” – was bowling to the man. It’s that parallel universe again.
    The Welsh were seven down now and Colin Metson was in. So I said to Malcolm, “With all of us on the fence, Viv gets a single and you have five balls at Metson and the rest, who can’t bat. We might even win.” So Macko ran in and bowled a length ball on off stump, which Viv blistered through cover for four. Our two quickest fielders – Paul Terry and Robin Smith – were on the fence at point and extra cover: neither moved, they just looked at each other as if to say “Ye gods!”

I’m thinking more pragmatically: that should have been a single. “Macko,” I screamed from long-off, “give Viv an effing single!” Next ball, Macko bowled a quick bouncer and Viv, first rocking forward and then stepping back, hit it over the block of flats that ran alongside the perimeter of the ground on the longest side at square leg. We never saw the ball again, ever.

So now I’ve got the hump and moved in from the boundary at long-off to say “Give him a f**king single, bowl him a yorker and you’ve got three balls at Metson!” So the very great Malcolm Marshall ran in and bowled a good full ball – if not quite a yorker – which Viv dug out and drilled wide of mid-on. For 13 cricketers, two umpires and a couple of thousand spectators the earth stood still: all eyes were on a cricket ball that was scorching a pathway to the boundary. As it crossed the line, each of us snapped back to different realities – 11 men defeated, two men elated, and a crowd in wonder. Viv had cleaned up the game with three balls to spare and finished unbeaten with 164. He had his gloves off and was running towards me, offering his hand. “That was one helluva declaration, skipper, let’s go drink some beers.” And it was one hell of an innings Viv.

“As if he’d have taken the single anyway,” said Macko in the bar at 10 o’clock that night.

dantsw13

Nothing to do with England, but I scored my first century on Saturday – 139 n/o in 105 balls🥰

martinhutch

Well done.

But it’s good to let your kids win occasionally, or they might be put off the sport. 🙂

spacemonkey

Crazy, crazy! Butter came in with Malan on 86, and overtook him!!

Buttler looking to do similar with Roy in the final game.

dantsw13

But it’s good to let your kids win occasionally, or they might be put off the sport.

😎 damn – found out!

fazzini

Nothing to do with England, but I scored my first century on Saturday – 139 n/o in 105 balls🥰

I have never even scored a 50 🙁 , however, I did get the 2nd ‘6’ of my career last week. I’ve only been playing for 38 years 🤔😂

dantsw13

I’ve always been a lower middle order batter, coming in to hit quick runs. Not conducive to big scores.

This year I’ve been opening – very different game!!

Klunk
    Free Member

NZ to bat

Klunk
    Free Member

aggers no mates 😀

Houns

Wasn’t expecting that start. Shall be listening to todays play sat in a beer garden at my local

fazzini

Shall be listening to todays play sat in a beer garden at my local

Damn you 😉

Houns

Don’t be too jealous, it’s clouded over a bit

Viewing 40 posts - 5,801 through 5,840 (of 6,928 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.