Viewing 40 posts - 6,881 through 6,920 (of 6,928 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • ransos
    Free Member

They’re being cruelly exposed by good fast bowling, too.

Klunk
    Free Member

lucky captain ? very close call!

theotherjonv

They’re being cruelly exposed by good fast bowling, too.

Agree, but it’s not out and out fast bowling in the trad sense, it’s reverse swing and 80mph cutters, which is still pitch influenced. Ahmed on the first day got an inside edge to a Bumrah cutter that turned a foot and a half. They were saying, of our current crop, none of them are really rewarded for bowling that sort of stuff at county level as we don’t have pitches that’ll benefit it. Maybe a few have it up their sleeve a bit from T20 as a slower ball variation but the two named with the real skill to do it are Jimmy (not picked) and Stokes (can’t bowl).
    Don’t get me wrong – India are a fine team with some great bowlers in particular currently, but this wouldn’t be happening at Headingley in early June.

[edit – and while I’m a fan of Bazball, there’s a time and place and this is just as exciting to a purist cricket lover as watching Crawley give it tap]

Klunk
    Free Member

going to make india bat again at least 😕

Klunk
    Free Member

ollie! ollie! ollie!

ransos
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong – India are a fine team with some great bowlers in particular currently, but this wouldn’t be happening at Headingley in early June.

Sure, but fast medium bowling and reverse swing isn’t exactly novel. Anyway, they’ll probably still lose but a lot of fight shown today.

dander

Some knock from Pope! Clutching at straws but Root’ll bundle them out tomorrow. 

Klunk
    Free Member

Stokes one of the best run outs in test match history ! almost impossible to comprehend how he managed it

it’s been a fun watch this morning 🙂

dander

Come on Joe, finish them off, like I said.

Klunk
    Free Member

well bowled young man!

johndoh
    Free Member

Wow – I was not expecting this.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

dantsw13
    The gulf in class between these 2 teams is being pretty cruelly exposed in this game.

Well you weren’t wrong.

dantsw13

Say what you like about this England team, but they seem to find a way from lost causes……

dantsw13

Absolutely – very happy to be proved wrong! I still think the India team is a class above, but there’s something about the mental strength of this current setup.

Stokes has completely changed the fields he set for Hartley from the first innings. Wickets for spinners don’t always come from men around the bat. Boundary riders both stop runs and take catches.

joelowden

Outstanding!!

boxelder

I say. MOTM decision tricky.

Klunk
    Free Member

they really do like trashing traditional cricket wisdom don’t they 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

I say. MOTM decision tricky.

not really 196 on a pitch turning sideways (Root look like Shane Warne out there)

Klunk
    Free Member
    pk13

Good win indeed there is some grit in the English dressing room.

ransos
    Free Member

Two of the most unlikely away wins on the same day, remarkable stuff.

dantsw13

Batting first (not last!!) is key in India. I think our inexperienced attack performed pretty well in their 1st innings.

I don’t think there is a better bowler in world cricket than Bumrah right now.

convert

Going to eat some humble pie….I’m quite liking talksport. Gough and Harmison are good value and most of the commentators are ok. Even KP is being tolerable in small doses (similar to Geoffrey). It feels more like TMS that I remember in the past. They are of the sportsmen twonk mindset of everyone having a stupid bastardising of their surname – Goughy, Harmy, Manners. It’s always made my teeth itch.

Ball spinning big time even in England’s inexperienced bowlers hands. I suspect no matter how much England believe in themselves this is going to be an India victory by a minimum of 250 runs.

joelowden

Nearly got the chase below a hundred, good effort.

convert

Yes, did better than I expected. But still a comfortable victory. Pope, Root and Bairstow collectively averaged less that 20 per innings across the match. I’m not sure you win too many matches when numbers 3-5 score that much below their normal par.

spacemonkey

Stating the obvious but Root needs to find form and JB needs moving on.

Thought we gave it a good go today,and honestly reckon we’d have have won had Crawley batted late into the afternoon and Stokes not been asleep. It’s all hypothetical though, but previous Eng teams would have scratched around with no intent and been bowled out for 187.

dantsw13

India’s 2 seamers totally debunked the idea that fast bowlers cant prosper in India. The reversing ball was almost unplayable at the end.

higgo
    Free Member

Apologies if this has been covered before but how does one listen to TMS these days, particularly in the early morning?I woke up just after 4am today and decided I’d listen to the cricket instead of ‘tropical rainfall with distant thunder’ (or similar) on the phone next to my bed. I tried BBC Sounds 4, 4LW, 4 Extra, 5 & 5 Extra and couldn’t find it. I was sleep-deprived so it’s possible there was some user error. 

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

BBC don’t have the rights, it’s on Talksport, which isn’t as bad as you might think.

dantsw13

TMS do a podcast after every days play though

higgo
    Free Member

Thanks – that does at least explain why I couldn’t find it.

Even if it’s “not as bad as…” I guess the Talk Sport coverage has advert breaks? My genius idea of listening to it in the small hours of the morning was that I’d either find it interesting (and listen to it) or soothing (so would fall asleep). Adverts would rule out the latter.

convert

My genius idea of listening to it in the small hours of the morning was that I’d either find it interesting (and listen to it) or soothing (so would fall asleep). Adverts would rule out the latter.

Pretty sure the advert breaks are all in the intervals between sessions. I might be wrong but I don’t think they are even there in the drinks breaks. Which makes me wonder how they pay for the broadcast rights.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I think you’re right. I haven’t noticed many adverts.

joelowden

Good day at the office today.

roverpig

By the time I wake up tomorrow we’ll either be closing in on their total with wickets in hand or staring down the barrel of a big first innings deficit. Not sure I’d want to bet on the former, but fingers crossed.

dantsw13

Duckett is just loving the freedom he gets. For players of his height the margin for error is small.

convert

Sit rep – need to score 550 on the drag end of day 4 and then day 5. Ashwin back seemingly and Duckett handed his wicket over. Suspect they couldn’t hold on for a draw even if they wanted to. A bit humbling this one.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m afraid they’ve really thrown this one away. India were 33-3 on day one and England 202-2 at the end of day two. They’re now 50-6 and need only 506 more runs.

Drac

Yeah they had a chance early on, another a few days ago and they’ve now given themselves one hell of a challenge.

joelowden

Oh dear! 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 6,881 through 6,920 (of 6,928 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.