Home Forums Bike Forum Mudguards (yawn) Free Ranger

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mudguards (yawn) Free Ranger
  • garage-dweller

Looking to winterize the 700c Free Ranger which is mainly going to be used with 28mm road tyres but I’d like to still be able to get my 38mm ultra-bites in during the spring.

It’s got rack bosses etc.

SKS Chromoplastic still the right / first choice?

Spotted these at PX which look like they might also be OK.

Flinger F42 Deluxe 700c Mudguard / 42mm / Black

If I can find something that doesn’t involve s-bending the stays that would be nice.

footflaps

I’ve just fitted Kinesis Fend Off Full Metal Mudguards to my Diverge (also a gravel bike), which I use as a winter road bike. Originally it had SKS, but the rear one snapped into several places, so I’ve gone with Aluminium now, as I expect they’ll last longer. £50 inc postage from High on Bikes.

gray

I have a Freeranger, and got SKS Bluemels for it, like this:

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/sks_bluemels_mudguard_matt_black-ID_68797

However, I haven’t got round to fitting them yet, so I can’t say whether they’re any good! Soz :-)

stayhigh

I’ve fitted a set of PDW Full Metal Fenders to mine which while expensive are very well made and performed particularly well in the recent downpours.

bobodaclown

I have PDW Full Metal Fenders also on mine (I have the Carbonda variant but it is the same frame). They work really well and a sturdy.

Picked them up cheap a while back from Triton.

garage-dweller

mini review of SKS Edge Al 56 on Free Ranger

Posting back here for @properbikeco who asked about these and anyone else interested.

First thing to note is that the mudguards are stiff and have a very square profile.  The Free Ranger, like many carbon bikes is all about smooth curves.  This does cause some conflict in fitting.  I’m happy with that compromise for their rigidity and wide clearance.  YMMV.

I decided to cut mine in a couple of places.  Those with more time, more tools and more inclination might find more refined solutions.

My bike is a medium and I run 700*38 (off road) and 700*28 (on road).  In both tyre sizes they keep an awful lot of muck off me.  I probably could have used the smaller size in hindsight but there would have been insufficient clearance if I bought a set of 650s for off-road.

The two areas of cutting (or your better solution) will be the lower fitting behind the BB and the fork crown.

There is some toe overlap with my size 11s.

The thick stays are solid and don’t rattle and the one time I’ve pulled a guard out of line it was because the stay slipped in the fork mount. A gentle push had it realigned.

If SKS offered the same dimensions with a bit more curvature in the aluminium profile they’d be even better (imo) but maybe that would cause other issues with strength/rigidity.

garage-dweller

cut 1 behind the BB

It is not massively clear here but I took a strip off each side of the guard leaving a single central strip about 20mm wide going down to the recessed bolt. This cut (like the chain stays) is asymmetric and I simply measured so that the guard stopped slightly above each chain stay.

I did consider reinforcing it but I don’t really think it needs it.

PXL_20240901_144644859

garage-dweller

cut 2 fork crown

Looking at the wide crown and curvature here I took the simple solution to take a fork crown thickness strip out of the front mudguard just in front of the mounting bracket and then fashion a long bracket from a Topeak rack mounting strip (but any similar thickness stainless strip would do) and rivet my short piece of cut guard to it.  I bent the strip to about 85degrees to give it a slightly nose up attitude.  It needed a fractionally longer bolt than was in my frame.

PXL_20240901_144616865PXL_20240901_144610942

garage-dweller

I think the front might have been better with a double kink ahead of the crown to bring the guard up a bit higher although I’ve yet to have an issue in practice.  I might try that with the spare strip I have.

andy4d

Thanks for posting this @garage-dweller . I was looking at these mudguards myself for a 2.0 tyre (sks say they fit up to a 2.0) but looking at your pictures I am not sure they would fit a 2.0 (if your picture is a 38).

garage-dweller

@andy4d

Pictures are with 38s and there’s a fair bit of clearance, whether that’s enough for 2.0/50 on a 700 I wouldn’t like to say. On 650s I’d think it would be plenty.

If it’s the front clearance I think a double bend ahead of the crown would help get that little bit up out of the way a bit.

The one thing I haven’t pictured is that the guard hangs a little below the seat stay yoke.  I’m sure someone less time poor/more creative could get a slightly tighter fit there (I had plenty of clearance so wasn’t too bothered).

matt_outandabout

SKS Chromoplastic still the right / first choice?

My experience having had two sets is no.

Bontrager ones are much, much better.

And SKS Edge AL are also better.

johnnystorm

I had SKS Speedrockers on my Jamis Renegade didn’t think I was losing out much against trad mudguards and much easier to remove in the summer.

abingham

I think it depends if you want to take them on and off or not. If the latter then I’d recommend Velo-Orange guards (the PDWs look good too but I’ve not tried them personally). I’ve had VO’s on quite a few bikes now and although they take an evening, a few beers, and a bit of swearing to get them fitted, once they’re on they’re quiet and sturdy.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve a Freeranger, run it with 700×50’ss for gravel and 700×30’s on the road.

I just use a Ass Savers Win Wing on the rear, works really well (except if you’re following me :-) ) and get little/no mud/splash on my back/shorts.

I don’t bother with a front but I’d imagine toe-overlap will be a real issue with a long front guard.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.