Home Forums Bike Forum MTB Goggles – what’s good?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • MTB Goggles – what’s good?
    Onzadog
    Free Member

Never really been a full face user but fancied trying a few bike parks with the new Airdrop Edit MX.  For that reason, I’ve just ordered a Giro Coalition which is a ventilated full face lid.

I believe I would get mocked mercilessly if I wear glasses with it so goggles are needed.

Just looking for some advice on what to look for, what’s good in the world of goggles.  I really like Okaley Prizm Trail lens but there doesn’t seem to be a version available in goggles.  How important is peripheral vision?  Is there much clash between helmet aperture and the googles or do they pretty much all work together?

honourablegeorge

As a serial goggle hater, I find the POC ones very good

weeksy

Viris are the latest favourite here due to their quick change lense system and their larger opening making them less retrictive

Previous to that it was Leatt 5.5s

mashr

Leatt, Fox, Oakley, 100% the list goes on. Set a budget and take your pick. Then start hacking away at bits of foam to make them more ventilated and/or fit your nose better

razorrazoo

For me most of the time wearing goggles I tend to use a clear lens so wouldn’t be buying goggles based on fancy lenses alone.  It’s either too dark (general UK conditions) or too much bright sunlight to dark shadows (Alps) which dark lenses struggle with.  I’ve a few pairs of 100% goggles (not the mega posh ones) which fit fine with Troy Lee D3 & Stage, and Fox Proframe.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

If you fancy POC I ordered some direct from POC for 35quid the other day, no idea what they’re like as they’re meant to be arriving today

fathomer

I’ve just bought my first full face lid, also a Giro Coalition and was going to order some Melons as that’s what I’ve been recommended by a couple of friends but the thread from the other day has put me off!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I really like Okaley Prizm Trail lens but there doesn’t seem to be a version available in goggles

https://www.oakley.com/en-gb/product/W0OO7107M?variant=888392428653

Well reviewed, good lense change mechanism….just one catch £££

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s always been the catch with Oakley. I’d rather not fund Luxottica but I do like their products.

chakaping

100% Accuri are decent, and the only brand name I can remember from my four pairs of goggles

I’d get a clear lens, the helmet peak will give loads of shade and you’ll be moving in and out of tree shadow at speed.

nwgiles

@baldiebenty

I bought a set of POC Oras in the sale, super comfy, if you have POC helmet the fit is good.

I don’t think I would pay RRP for them but at the sale price of £30 they are worth it.

better scratch resistance than my oakley’s so far

kimbers

After trying a few 661 Radia were my favourite, come in 2 sizes too, which is good, but the clear lenses are no longer available (and tinted lenses are always too dark for wooded sections whichever brand) which sucks as Ive scratched mine. Comfy, big field of view, work with my helmets, but importer confirmed no more replacement lenses

so definitely go with someone like 100% who seem to have lots of lenses on sale for when you inevitably scratch them

GolfChick
    Free Member

Ironically the only goggles I own are some melon goggles! They’re fine but I’m really not a fan of goggles, find the view too limited and no peripheral vision at all. People can mock me all they like for not wearing goggles, I’m happy enough with how I ride the bike and I’m not in it for a fashion contest. My husband recently bought some of the new posh fox super ventilated goggles but hasn’t tried them yet so who knows!

sharkattack

I’ve had dozens of the things and I couldn’t really tell them apart. Just pick the ones you like the look of at a decent price.

I’d avoid anything too niche. You can buy packs of lenses on eBay for the popular models for next to nothing.

Current ones are Melon. They’re fine but I haven’t tried to return them obviously.

Northwind

I got the 100% Strata 2s, the cheapest ones, and tbf they do everything I want. Every bit as good as my old Oakleys, only downer is there’s not quite as many lens options (but even then, 100% were smart enough to make the same lens fit multiple goggles so there’s still pretty good selections). They may not last quite as well as teh Oakleys did- those were really pretty impressive that way- but they were about half the price so I do not care.

Double glazed lenses are a thing worth paying more for IMO, it started out as a skiing thing and it can cause a wee bit of odd reflections but it’s amazing for reducing steaming up, nothing else comes close on a cold wet day, they’re like voodoo for manky scottish downhill. TBF I’d personally rather have 2 sets of cheap goggles than one set of fancy ones, they do get damaged/roughed up and having different lenses ready to go (and a dry set of goggles in the car) is way better than swapping them out.

sharkattack

I’ve never tried double glazed lenses but I did used to use a 1mm drill bit to put a line of holes down the sides of the lens or around the edges.

That helps with fogging especially in bad weather.

ads678

Clear lenses for me also, even in proper sunny conditions and pretty much always need to wear sunglasses even on dull days! Just don’t seem to need them with a full face and goggles. No problem with peripheral vision. I actually don’t get it when people say this, I’ve worn goggles for year snowboarding and never even thought about it.

My mtb goggles are shit, Smith ones btw, and they always used to fog up (sweaty bastard) but I drilled an load of holes at the top and now they work great.

sharkattack

I’ve also never had a problem with peripheral vision. What are you trying to look at while you’re riding?

If you’re going fast enough to wear goggles you should be looking way down the trail.

doomanic

I’ve 100% Accuri, Melon and Fox. The Fox have a moulded lens which puts them head and shoulders above the 100% with their stamped polycarbonate lens. The Melons have tinted lenses and are worse than useless in the trees, fortunately they were free.

All of them pinch my nose and all of them fog up at some point.

davros

Just dug my snowboarding goggles out the loft for morzine next week. They have vents so I’m hoping they’ll do. Are they much/any different?

weeksy

The Leatt double glazed lenses have never fogged up, wind, rain, sleet etc

jimmy748

I’ve had Scott prospects the last 5 years or so, very comfortable with a nice material over the normal foam which has lasted very well and are great with the enduro lens (double glazed), also available in many colour combinations.

https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/categories/scott-endurovented-goggles

kiwijohn

+1 for the 100% double glazed.
    You can ride up hill until your eyeballs sweat with zero fog.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve also never had a problem with peripheral vision. What are you trying to look at while you’re riding?

It’s not what I’m trying so see as I’ve never ridden with goggles. More a question of whether that much material around your field of vision is distracting.

Northwind

IMO it’s a bit like night riding lights- any loss of peripheral vision shouldn’t really matter as it’s not anything you need to know about, basically every mtb goggles ever made give you all the field of vision you need just because like sharkattack says you don’t need to see anything else, you’re looking forward.

But, I like the most field of vision I can get, it makes me feel a bit more comfortable , I think it’s probably entirely psychological but that still makes a difference. But ymmv. Most goggles give good field of vision anyway.

kiwizak
    Free Member

I’ve got the Oakley Airbrake MTB with Prizm low light lens (slight rose tint). I would’nt use anything else.

There are two versions of the Airbrake the MTB and the MX. The MX has the traditional foam venting on the top and bottom edge, where the MTB has a really fine mesh for more air flow.

desperatebicycle

I bought my lad some 100% Accuris years ago – he’s still using them and can still buy new lenses, so they must be good!

iamtheresurrection

I think you have to try some on.  I ride 100% Racecraft2 right now, my son’s 100% Accuri 2s aren’t as good a fit on me.

I haven’t got much experience with goggles really, I really seem to suffer with eyewear affecting my depth perception and I’ve mostly chosen not to wear eyewear: the Racecrafts2 don’t seem to do at all, the Accuri do.  Must be something about the shape of the frame (even though they look so similar) and what I think I’m seeing (or talking myself into).  Either way, try and try some.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Trying some on should be ideal but much easier said than done. It’s tricky with any soft goods these days but goggles aren’t something a shop would sell a lot of so I can see why they don’t stock them

weeksy

I’ve got a pair of Leatt 4.5 with double glazed lenses you can borrow for a couple of weeks to try.

sharkattack

Go to a motocross shop they’ll have stacks of them because everyone needs them.

I like my Melon Optics Diablo Pro, but have nothing to compare them to, apart from some cheapo 100% and some cheapo Scotts

52178797754_ee5e94fe77_k

52177522592_65f1ea8736_k (1)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks all, especially @weeksy for the kind offer,  I’ve decided to try a set of the Airbrake with a Prizm Low Light lens.  Oakley are offering free returns so nothing to lose other than time.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.