Home Forums Bike Forum MT200 disc brakes ( altus?) How good/bad ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • MT200 disc brakes ( altus?) How good/bad ?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Came across this brakeset and was amazed at the low price ..seemingly £40 a set in the UK.
    There are not not many reviews about ,and i know they’re entry level( and presumably are lacking in modulation/power) but wondered whether with a 160/180 setup whether they’d be up to stopping a 15stone male descending one of Devon’s steepish on or off road gradients without the necessity of a hulk like grip.
    Anyone have experience of these stoppers and are they rather poor hence reflect the price or in reality perfectly commendable ?
    thanks in advance .

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s probably the same guts as all other shimano brakes so it’ll be fine. I’d spend a bit more to get the “mountainbike” single finger lever (MT500) rather than the trekking one though.

I’ve had the MT500 on a bike for years and TBH is indistinguishable from the XT on the nicer bike, it’s just missing the plastic adjusters that snap off. Who actually runs the bite point adjustment at anything other than minimum anyway?

jkomo

I got some shimano discs from CRC a few years ago £15 or so. They stop as well as anything else they make. Levers have less adjustments (or no adjustments) but I could put them on my big bike and not worry.
    Compared to 2 pots obvs.

chakaping

a 15stone male descending one of Devon’s steepish on or off road gradients

I would stump up for Deores personally, and I’m a few stone lighter than you.

I took a bike with some 3-level Shimano brakes down one of the steeper Lakes descents a few years back and it was a terrifying experience.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I have M6000 deore twin piston on one bike and M365 levers on another (the precursor to the mt200 basically the same thing)

Struggle to really tell the difference. I just run the “long” m365 levers in board of shifter so I get 2 finger braking. If anything the m365 seems to have more modulation and is less “on off” than the m6000 which has servo wave, maybe they have a bit less ultimate power (again due to servo wave) and the lever feels a bit cheaper in terms of wobble and materials, no split clamp etc.

Run them with 203mm rotors and resin pads and they are more than up to the job.

I paid £27 from china for a front and rear set. Had to re bleed them out of the box though as they went spongy when hot, just used a £5 bottle LHM mineral oil (same as shimano snake oil).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘MT200 disc brakes ( altus?) How good/bad ?’ is closed to new replies.