Home Forums Chat Forum Moving from Kent to Scotland (Dundee / Perth)

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Moving from Kent to Scotland (Dundee / Perth)
  • blitz

Just thought I’d update this…

So, I’ve now found work also at Ninewells. Going to be doing 4 short days Mon-Thurs initially to fit around school hours, with scope to increase up to 4 full days which is what the post is funded up to. Really happy about this and if we can get away with it, may stick to the short days so can be around more for the kids which is part of the motivation of the move.

So far everything has been done on phone/email/Teams but we’re planning a short visit next week where we’ll both be meeting new managers in person. We’re both now starting on June 1st so the move is planned for the late May BH weekend.

The other reason to visit next week then is to try and house hunt somewhere to stay. We’ve looked at both rental and air bnb and it’s favouring a rental at the moment if we can get one as the air bnb costs just look too much. We’ve got a couple of places lined up to look at for rent which we’ve found on Rightmove/zoopla. Just wanted to check if there’s any other sites we should be looking at? For sales we’ve found TSPC and PSPC but don’t seem to cover rentals.

The longer term plan is to buy once we’ve got a better idea of exactly where we want to be. Our house is on the market but hasn’t sold yet. Got a few viewings lined up this weekend so hoping for movement on that soon. The plan is to rent for a few months, with the hope we can sell ours and at least be in a position to offer on somewhere by mid-August when the kids go back so we can try and get them into a school local to where we’ll be. No idea yet what we’re going to do about schools for the 3 weeks of the end of this school year that they’ll have left when we move up?

All still a bit of a scary logistical nightmare, but exciting at the same time. We’re aware of course that otherwise we wouldn’t be allowed to travel up next week, but this is essential for work/house hunting. We’re both also double jabbed up so v low risk of transmission.

dovebiker

Great news. Viewing rental properties is classed as an essential journey, besides in Scottish Law you have to view a rental property before you can take it on. We had problems last year because of this, we had sold, needed somewhere but some landlords were refusing viewings on vacant properties.

tomd
    Free Member

We’ve got a couple of places lined up to look at for rent which we’ve found on Rightmove/zoopla. Just wanted to check if there’s any other sites we should be looking at? For sales we’ve found TSPC and PSPC but don’t seem to cover rentals.

We were in the same boat recently, also in Scotland. Onthemarket and Facebook Marketplace for rentals definitely worth a look.

Both of them I think are cheaper / quicker / easier for agents or owners to post on so seemed to get properties that you couldn’t see on rightmove / zoopla, or would appear later on those.

If you know the area you want I’d say worth doing some proactive looking as well. E.g. find any facebook groups and ask, leaflets through doors etc. There be something that’s available but not advertised publicly.

blitz

Thanks. Didn’t realise about legally needing to view! Good job we’d got this trip planned then.

Thanks Tomd. Will check those out.

matt_outandabout

Schools – the local authority will have a placing request form on thier website or just email and ask for one. You will find most Scottish kids go to local school, there’s less looking around for ‘best’ school.

Move- good luck with it. We overtook our removals van on the top of Beattock 12 years ago at dawn. I remember that was the moment it really was ‘happening’….

I also remember the boys being rather miffed by how cold it was.

See you on the trails soon.

blitz

Had a pretty successful trip. The sun shined mostly and we did everything we could’ve to explore and try and get ourselves sorted.

We’ve got applications in for 3 rental properties. We’ve had to hedge our bets as it seemed that competition was high. Our favoured place in Liff had at least 10 other viewings in the previous 24 hours according to the agent. The other places are in Perth and a rural place over on Fife not far from Pitmedden (which I only discovered when we got back from the viewing and I checked out strava!). Fingers crossed we get one.

A big positive was the meetings we had with new teams at Ninewells. All went well and everyone was welcoming. In fact the first bloke I got introduced to turned out to be an MTB’er and has already said he’ll get me out with him and his mates!

We did throw my wife’s gravel bike in the boot and I managed one ride up the Angus coastal trail almost to Arbroath and back which was great on a sunny day.

Still scary, still lots to do, but feels like we can see a path now. Thanks again for the tips and help here.

big_scot_nanny

Great stuff! Well done on the progress 👍

Maybe its time to start thinking about a new bike that will obviously be needed for a new locale ;-)

blitz

Maybe its time to start thinking about a new bike that will obviously be needed for a new locale 😉

Funny you should say that….😉

franksinatra

I’ve not read the whole thread so just ignore if this has already been posted, but…

I would be basing my longer term property search almost exclusively around school catchment areas. Your eldest is not far off high school age. We live in the Borders and the difference between two villages could mean the difference between going to one of the best state schools in the country or one that is really poor. Good schools are over subscribed so an out of area placement request is nearly impossible. Its not like in England where you might have the choice of several schools in your area, up here you pretty much go to the one school which covers your catchment.

I have no idea of the quality of the schools in the areas you are looking at but, if I was in your position, that would be the very first thing I would be finding out and then plan your house search from there.

big_scot_nanny

@franksinatra

Thats actually a really good point. Forgot about that. We recently (last June) moved back to Scotland after a looooong time abroad, it was ‘stick a pin in a map’ stuff, but in the end it was really dictated by schools. esp high schools.

Schools, even during lockdown last year, generally bent over backwards to help us, meet us, chat with us, etc etc. Or didn’t, which was interesting in itself. highly recommend to get stuck into that too.

@blitz
    – good lad!

blitz

Got some good news today that our application for the rental in Perth has been accepted! So we can now move on to schools. Looks like the catchment primary schools are either Oakbank or Viewlands. I’ve sent an email to an address the Perth Council website to ask what the process is now so hope to hear back on that, but wondered if any locals had a view on either of these schools or anything else useful to know?

Thanks again to all for the ongoing input. It’s really helping!

clubby

Once you’ve got the school sorted move onto the important stuff. What jump bike for kinnoull Hill?

argee

Both Viewlands and Oakbank are good primary schools, Viewlands being the primary on the same campus as Perth Academy and Oakbank being on the Perth High campus.

My niece and nephew went to Oakbank and enjoyed it, both then went to the High School, you’ll see what they’re like when you’re around, if you’ve down selected to those two i’m guessing you’re renting in either Oakbank or the Western Edge (near Broxden roundabout side), some of my family are there and it’s a nice enough area, with the added bonus of close links to the motorway to go around to Dundee, or Edinburgh/Stirling/etc.

Can ask more about the primaries, but again, they are pretty much two of the best from memory, i was a High School boy, but you will notice a visible difference between Oakbank/High School and Viewlands/Academy, but again, it’s just the view, education wise i think they’re pretty much on par these days.

blitz

@argee

Thanks for that. Yes, it’s over that way. When we viewed, we did take a drive round the corner to Oakbank/Perth High as that was what google said was the nearest primary. Looked like a fairly big modern building. Couldn’t say much else. The area felt like a nice residential area and close to get on the motorway to Dundee for work.

@clubby
    – Looking forward to exploring Kinnoull Hill 👍

oldtennisshoes

Can ask more about the primaries, but again, they are pretty much two of the best from memory, i was a High School boy, but you will notice a visible difference between Oakbank/High School and Viewlands/Academy, but again, it’s just the view, education wise i think they’re pretty much on par these days.

+1 although the high school building is scheduled for replacement in the next couple of years.

argee

Yeah, Oakbank is the nice school catchment style place with good family homes, as well as pockets of retirement style houses, when you’re settled in and biking i’d definitely check Deuchny Woods first then Kinoull Hill, loads to hunt out that side, but always felt Kinoull Hill was busier with walkers and so on, whilst Deuchny has the bike tracks and dedicated run to play on, not exactly a huge ‘bike park’, but good play for a couple of hours with kids or with just a big kid!

Shackleton
    Free Member

Can’t comment on schools or Perth life but live in Liff and work in Invergowrie. Let me know if you want showing around the Dundee end of trails (Templeton, Sidlaws, Ballo, etc). Ballo is almost on the way home too……

blitz

Can’t comment on schools or Perth life but live in Liff and work in Invergowrie. Let me know if you want showing around the Dundee end of trails (Templeton, Sidlaws, Ballo, etc). Ballo is almost on the way home too……

Will definitely take you up on that. Thanks.

We did stop in to Ballo on a drive around as we were sort of passing and I’d seen it mentioned and had watched a few you tube clips. Had a walk up the fire road from the car park. Saw some nice looking pretty steep trails crossing over. Looked good.

Longer term I could see us settling either near Perth or that area you’re in north west of Dundee from Liff up towards ballo but will see how it all goes.

Thanks again all

jca

If your commute involves crossing the broxden roundabout, be warned…it’s about the biggest bottleneck in the area!

blitz

Bit of good news on the schools. Spoke to both Oakbank and Viewlands and luckily they both have space in the year groups that our girls would be in, and both happy to take them. Both were really helpful so now to try and decide which to go for and doesn’t seem to be a lot to pick between them.

Possibly the only thing is that Oakbank feeds into Perth High, which looks like has a wider catchment. So if we stay in this rental, but then moved a bit towards the outskirts of Perth or a bit beyond when we buy, then I guess they may still go there for secondary and may link back in with friends they make at Oakbank if they go there now? That’s about all we can differentiate them on at the minute unless anyone else has any thoughts?

If your commute involves crossing the broxden roundabout, be warned…it’s about the biggest bottleneck in the area!

Looks like we skirt past it to get to Dundee rather than actually go across it according to google maps?!

oldtennisshoes

Oakbank is a newer building and the facilities look better than viewlands, but be not been in either.
    We live on Kinnoull Hill and our kids are at the High School.
    Another potential consideration is the new Tay crossing which is coming in the next couple of years between inveralmond/luncarty ans Scone. That should improve access to Dundee from the northern part of the town, which opens up Bertha Park for both new build properties and a new school.

https://perthtransportfutures.co.uk/cross-tay-link-road/

I’d still stay Oakbank or Kinnoull Hill way though.

oldtennisshoes

Looks like we skirt past it to get to Dundee rather than actually go across it according to google maps?!

Yes, there’s a dedicated lane for M90 south traffic from the top of Glasgow Rd. Although when I’ve worked in the west (crossing broxden towards Stirling down the A9) I can’t remember Broxden being a problem coming from the town.
    Inveralmond is however becoming a real bottleneck heading south down the A9 into Perth.

martymac

Broxden hasn’t been a problem in the last 18 months or so, (covid)
    But the queue in normal times regularly reaches bridge of earn.
    Friday afternoons in the summertime is the worst.

mogrim

Possibly the only thing is that Oakbank feeds into Perth High, which looks like has a wider catchment.

Absolutely no idea about the school in question, but be aware that sending your kids to a school with a wide catchment area will mean a lot of taxi driving duties, and if it’s anywhere like here the public transport links between towns may not be great (this is a problem my daughter has, and by proxy so do I…)

robbie
    Free Member

Live in Perth and used to go to the Academy. My Daughter now goes there. Both schools are pretty much similar just the Academy is the old building.
    I’m up kinoul and deuchny area a fair bit so give me a shout if you want a tour. There is also some stuff nearer on St Magdelaines hill. (Not sure if I’ve spelt that right)

blitz

Thanks all. On the schools it doesn’t seem like there’s going to be much in it but edging towards Oakbank.

I’m up kinoul and deuchny area a fair bit so give me a shout if you want a tour. There is also some stuff nearer on St Magdelaines hill. (Not sure if I’ve spelt that right)

Thanks, would like to take you up on that once we’re settled in. Will check out St Magdelaines too.

Bewilderedsassanack

I commute in to Perth from the southern Fife side each morning to Perth Royal Infirmary. Traffic still nowhere near pre-pandemic levels yet, so bear that in mind regarding commuting location for now.

Viewlands seems to have a good rep with work colleagues, although I took my kid out of the state sector as wrap-around childcare provision and holiday club childcare was better in independent sector. Currently enjoying Craigclowan Prep at Bridge of Earn side of Perth.

Tons of good mountain biking at Pitmedden Forest, about 25 mins south of Perth, as well as the delights of Dunkeld to the North.

blitz

Thought I’d better update this as we’ve been here for a week now.

It’s been a bit of a whirlwind but everything is going great. The rental we’ve got in Perth is working out really well. Nice quiet place and the neighbours have been really friendly. The kids have settled into Oakbank school and seem happy there. Our jobs have started well too. Again we’ve been made to feel very welcome. All good vibes.

The extra curricular stuff though is a bit special. Managed a superb road ride out to Loch Turret with my wife and I’ve had a quick spin at Comrie. We’ve also taken the girls to the awesome MacRosty Park in Crieff and last night went to the beach at Monifeith for fish and chips and a beer after work. We keep pinching ourselves to be honest. It’s early days of course but we’re pretty smitten.

And I just wanted to thank everyone who has commented on this thread. It’s been a huge and quite scary decision and the support and guidance on here has been genuinely invaluable. To those who’ve offered tours etc if the offers are still there I’ll perhaps be in touch in the next week or two once I’ve got the house a bit more sorted as there’s still lots of unpacking to do etc (not wanted to miss out on the great weather!).

Thanks again.

blitz

dyna-ti

Remember you can now drink the water straight out of the tap(as you’ve no doubt discovered), and no need to defur the kettle/dishwasher/washing machine. Water up here is way better. It is soft water, Kent is hard to very hard, ergo undrinkable.

On a trip to London in my youth I filled a glass from the tap, took a drink and was nearly sick. I immediately felt great a pity for Londoners.

blitz

I grew up in Liverpool with soft water and have always hated it down in Kent. It absolutely ruins your clothes too and knackers your appliances. Vile stuff. The positives keep coming 😂

boriselbrus

Where’s that “like” button!

I moved up here (between Dunkeld and Blairgowrie) from Maidstone seven years ago. I’ve not regretted it for a second. It’s been the happiest years of my life. Hope it continues to work out and if you fancy a chilled ride and a beer some time give me a shout.

duncancallum

I moved to DnG and it’s one of my better ideas….

pyranha

If you want inspiration for road rides see Bycycle – you could join their rides for ‘guided’ trips and to see if they suit, but they tend to attract an older/slower crowd.

With youngsters and out of Perth but nearby, Coupar Angus is good. There’s a bike shop (Cycling Hub – staffed by MTBers, used to organise the Ballo Enduro, but no idea what’s happening there), lots of parking at the hub or Larghan Park, quiet, flat roads between there and Glamis, and both Ardler Tavern and Barry’s Berries are worth a visit.

captainarrr
    Free Member

Hi All,

Sorry to bump this thread but i am another rider that is moving to Perth by May.

Looking to join a mountain bike club or get to know riders locally. I am aware of Kinnoul hill, Dunkeld Hermitage up the road. But what else is good locally?

I am stoked that Cairngorms will be easy access and a short drive over to the Trossachs.

Cheers

SSS
    Free Member

Theres always just over the bridge in Fife to consider

stevious

@captainarr there’s some steep stuff that scares the heck out of me on Ballo hill (on the way to Dundee).

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Moving from Kent to Scotland (Dundee / Perth)’ is closed to new replies.