Home Forums Chat Forum More bad gateways than a Stalingrad public footpath.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)
  • More bad gateways than a Stalingrad public footpath.
    tjagain

Not racist or sexist or ageist as no race or sex or age mentioned 😜

didnthurt

You used the term ‘gammon’ in a pejorative manor.

It’s the last “ism” that is ok to insult with no consequences for the name caller.

somafunk

Link to a picture of gammon

https://images.app.goo.gl/CVRhMKGViSV6ZEGw6

kilo

As the guardian put it;

”Gammon is a racist slur, we are told. Let me put this gently: affluent white men with reactionary opinions are not a race. White people mocking other white people over their skin colour is not racism. Inherent in the term is how a certain type of golf-club bore can go somewhere between a shade of pink and crimson red as they froth about gays having more rights than them these days, and only Jacob Rees-Mogg can be trusted to deal with the remoaners and leftie terrorist supporters. It is a term about political views and how they are expressed.

Reactionary affluent white men are not being harassed by police officers, disproportionately driven into poverty and precarious work, systematically underrepresented in political and public life, or threatened with deportation. “Gammon” is punching up in a way that, say, “chavs” is punching down. That rightwingers are now pushing the use of the word “gammon” as racism is age-old example of how the privileged crave a sense of persecution, that they can target genuinely oppressed minorities while claiming they are the real victims.”

didnthurt

What if the term Gammon is used against any white male who just happens to question something that is deemed a bit edgy, is this not a hateful slur? I’d certainly take offense being called a Gammon, as other than my skin colour and owning a pair of testicles, I am far from having a privileged life (obviously there is always others worse off than you).

tjagain

Oh absolutely.   But its not racist sexist or ageist.   Its just an insulting way to describe a group of people like Teuchter or sassanach or little englander or glaiket bampot

sc-xc

Only **** idiots and Tories get upset by the word gammon. **** snowflakes.

fasgadh
    Free Member

If gammon is “wrong” then so is  Tory.    That’s derogatory too and a matter of choice, unless you hail from a small island in Donegal.

Both are offensive to me, not as names but as the behaviour those names describe.

Northwind

Gammon isn’t about race or even appearance, my dad looked gammony as it gets but nobody ever called him a gammon because he wasn’t an arsehole, he didn’t meet the most important criteria.

stevious

One can choose to stop being a gammon so it’s not a racist term IMO

Cougar

Racist, sexist, ageist and irrelevant. Well done you.

Remember two days ago when we were talking about about inference?

People’s cheeks flush when they get apoplectically angry, hence “gammon.” That’s nothing to do with colour, gender or age, it’s biology.

didnthurt

Nice use of language 😂

Cougar

It’s the last “ism” that is ok to insult with no consequences for the name caller.

You’re accusing posters of being gammonist? Srsly?

What if the term Gammon is used against any white male who just happens to question something that is deemed a bit edgy

I’ll take “things that didn’t happen so hard that it unhappened things that did” for $200 please, Alex.

is this not a hateful slur?

What if it is? Sometimes a **** needs reminding that they’re a **** in the hope that they’ll be less **** going forwards.

Coming up next: arguing that calling out racists is intolerant.

I’d certainly take offense being called a Gammon

If you believe that this is a risk, you could always try to be less Daily Express. Problem solved.

MoreCashThanDash

Gammon obviously isn’t an “ism”, I just feel that if you have to refer to people you disagree with using a derogatory term for their appearance, it says as much about the user as the poor crimson faced victim.

I take it as a sign that you’ve signed up for the culture wars, and not in a good way.

wheelsonfire1

There is always the view that if you have to resort to personal attacks then you’ve lost the argument?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.