Home Forums Chat Forum Mondeo replacement?

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Mondeo replacement?
  • cookeaa

Interestingly I’ve just been comparing a Golf estate and a Golf SV )on paper)

The SV has similar numbers and is obviously on the same basic platform, only it’s supposed to be the MPV version but it’s apparently only 100mm shorter and boot capacity is only 15L less (the key criteria for me looking at estates).

That minor pretty difference has me adding the Golf SV to my searches now. There must be a couple of other hatchback platform derived MPVs that cover very similar bases to the estate flavoured ones out there right?

IA

I used to have a 2013 Octavia company car and I found the driving position a bit cramped for my long legs

I don’t think anyone tall has weighed in yet? But as a fellow tall person I feel you. When I was looking I tried a bunch of Octavias and some are ok and some aren’t. The different seat options make a huge difference if you’re tall, combined with the roof type (pan roof/sunroof etc). So some seats/trims are ok and some aren’t – sadly I forget which.

To give my answer, I ended up in a 5 series touring. Great for a tall person, I’m 6’4″ and it’s possible to put the front seats too far back, which is amazing. Every other car I’ve been in it’s a case of seat slammed right down and right back to fit.

IA

Interestingly I’ve just been comparing a Golf estate and a Golf SV )on paper)

I looked at both of these, the SV is taller hence the capacity. The boot seems a lot worse than the estate for carrying bulky stuff, like a bike.

Cougar

As a left field suggestion, nobody’s mentioned Hyundai i40 that I can see.

I had an i40 for while.  It was alright, I wouldn’t run out and buy another but equally there was little to recommend against it either.  Being a saloon rather than a hatchback was more of an arseache than I’d anticipated.

Oh, it was also the i40 where halfway up the M66 the glass “moon roof” spontaneously exploded.  That focused the mind somewhat, it was one hell of a bang.  I genuinely thought at first that someone had dropped a paving stone off a bridge.  Design flaw apparently, there’s another Hyundai model outside the UK with the same issue.  

cookeaa

I looked at both of these, the SV is taller hence the capacity. The boot seems a lot worse than the estate for carrying bulky stuff, like a bike.

Dunno, you’re either going to have to remove wheels and/or fold seat in either version right.

The main uses for our cars boot is luggage and shopping. 4″ shorter and a wee bit taller might actually work ok. Transporting My bikes is a secondary consideration, and as ever a towbar mounted rack is ultimately the bestest solution anyway.

IA

Ah I mean folding seats in an SV would be both wheels off vs one wheel in an estate for me though.

timmys

I don’t think anyone tall has weighed in yet? But as a fellow tall person I feel you. When I was looking I tried a bunch of Octavias and some are ok and some aren’t.

6’2″ in an Octavia VRS here. I’m not cramped and the seat is not all the way back.

sgn23
    Free Member

I’ve a 2010 Mondeo on 170K, it’s a great car for cruising the motorway with all the family kit. I was thinking a Volvo V90 when it finally gets to the point it can’t be fixed economically. You’d be looking at one over 100K for your budget.

What’s wrong with the Mondeo? Are you sure it can’t be fixed? If you can find a local Ford indy garage there are lots of scrap parts on eBay to fix most common problems.

IA

6’2″ in an Octavia VRS here. I’m not cramped and the seat is not all the way back.

I was looking at the VRS and whatever the posh one is called (Laurin and Klement or something), advice still stands on these, it’s the combo of seats and roof.

I will say though that extra 2″ is often what makes the difference. I’ve often wished I was slightly shorter so as to be just within the range of normal height rather than just outside it. Lots of stuff you don’t expect just doesn’t fit, not just clothes and cars (e.g. recently following an op the NHS couldn’t give me a walking stick long enough to reach the ground when holding it).

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Agree with sgn23, spending 10-12k on an unknown entity to avoid spending 2-3k on a good motor always strikes me as a weird way of going about things.

ElShalimo

My dpf set itself on fire. Melted a lot of exhaust but thankfully did not go into cabin

Fix could be £1200-£1500. Waiting for final quote

Car is only worth £1500ish

Cougar

I don’t know about really new ones, but back when I had an Octavia the vRS models had a restricted bootspace due to, uh, vRSsy stuff encroaching into it.  Uprated suspension or some such I suppose.

My tame petrolhead (and cofounder of the briskoda website) bought a 4×4 estate over the vRS, he had it remapped or something and it used to chew up vRSes for breakfast.  It was well known to those who knew it well as “the ambulance.”

Northwind

I had a mk3 mondeo, it wasn’t perfect but it was honestly absolutely brilliant at being a mondeo. When I wanted a replacement, nothing else ticked all the boxes quite the same way- lots had less good boots, lots weren’t as nice to drive, lots were way more expensive to buy or run. Other than maybe the mazda 6 I didn’t think anything really could fight it on its own ground. Even the mk4! They just did a really bloody good job of that mk3.

So in the end I went from seeing it as compromising, to seeking out unmondeo things that other things did well that mondeos don’t do so well. Otherwise I’d have definitely bought another mondeo. And tbf a bunch of cars still didn’t compare well,

In the end I went for a subaru legacy which is a wee bit smaller but still big, a bit more expensive (much more expensive to run), but much more fun to drive, and I love it. Like, I’d have never taken the mondeo on track frinstance. But if there is still such a thing as an unrusty mk3 2.2 I could have another of those and be very happy.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Saggy arse and all.

Mk3 had better features than Mk4 except that stupid clock.

Cougar

I had a mk3 mondeo

I drove a mk3 Mondeo a few months into owning a mk4 of a similar spec (mine was probably in for a service or something, I don’t recall).  It felt tired and sluggish on the motorway, it just wasn’t picking up for some reason.  Then I looked down and was horrified to discover I was doing 110mph and wondering why it was slow.

didnthurt

Passat?

MoreCashThanDash

Looking to change our current Octavia estate, it’s our second, so we’ve had them for 19 years. Looking for something 1-2 years old, petrol or diesel.

Loved the Golf estate we test drove, but budget means we’d have to go another year older than we wanted.

On advice from here, we test drove a Kia Ceed estate yesterday. Really nice to drive, great value for money, but the boot opening not quite as big as the Octavia when we parked it next to ours, and we want an estate to put stuff in the boot.

So we’re looking at our third Octavia estate. Dammit.

stumpy01

Not as large as a Mondeo, but when I replaced my car in 2020 my shortlist was:

Merc C-Class estate – nice, but would have to get an older one or high mileage one to stay in budget. Older ones didn’t have Android Auto which I wanted & I found the features/options on the cars hard to fathom.

Audi A4 estate – it was nicer inside than an Octavia or Leon, but not ‘that’ much nicer for the price premium. Same problem as the Merc in terms of older or higher mileage to fit into budget. Spent a long time looking at them & like I say, didn’t really think the price hike was worth it over something a bit less fancy.

Kia Ceed estate. Almost went for one of these, but boot space seemed smaller (although I don’t think it actually is) & not a great range of engines. I wanted diesel and think this was limited to a 1.6 TDi which was OK, but wanted something with a bit more poke.

Octavia estate – nice, but boring to look at and second hand ones seemed to have a bit of a premium over Seat Leons.

Seat Leon estate – ended up with one of these. Bit less space than an Octavia, but not massively so. Good value. Decent kit & facelift version with Android Auto well within budget. Managed to find one in a red/burgundy colour which you don’t see many of about. I would have preferred the 180bhp engine over the 150 & in hindsight I should have kept looking for one with a DSG box. But, happy overall. No problems (touch wood) in 4 years.

ElShalimo

@stumpy01 – is the 150 okay when fully loaded?

What size bike can you get in the back?

IA

I could get my XL 29ers with one wheel off in the back of a Leon ST.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Had a brief sojourn into an insignia estate (hateful thing, tiny inside compared to the mondeo and the seat/driving position combination was awful)

I guess that’d be the old Insignia then.

The newer 2017+ one is a Mondeo-sized comfort barge – I know, I have one. I was actually looking for a Mondeo to begin with.

The level of complaint I have against it are “could use another cubby hole near the driver” and “no sunglasses holder by the rear view” – there isn’t a lot wrong with it as far as I can tell. I’m 2 years into ownership. The estate boot easily swallows a full grown bike without complaint. Most comfortable car I’ve driven any amount. Most controls have actual factual buttons and are not hidden behind an insufferable touchscreen.

Other half has a Passat – also really good as practically every STW poster will tell you, but, Insignia better value.

Petrol and diesel are both meant to be reliable.

stumpy01

ElShalimo

@stumpy01
     – is the 150 okay when fully loaded?

@elshalimo
    – Yeah, it’s fine. I’ve stuffed it full of camping gear & it does blunt it a bit, but not a great deal.
    Currently getting 70mpg out of it on my commute too, which is not to be sniffed at.
    All the short journeys pull it down to ~65mpg for the tank.

Bike-wise – I’ve only got small bikes so not terribly representative. I always take the front wheel off & they all fit in with room to spare. It’s a good flat floor and the levers in the back to drop the seats are handy.

ElShalimo

Thanks

mashr

ElShalimoFull Member
    My dpf set itself on fire. Melted a lot of exhaust but thankfully did not go into cabin

Fix could be £1200-£1500. Waiting for final quote

Car is only worth £1500ish

When my Mondeo’s DPF died it was £700ish for a pattern replacement which worked absolutely fine.

When the exhaust finally gave up the Ford and pattern options were stupidly expensive. So the local exhaust guy just shoved a straight (ie not silencers) stainless pipe on it for £300 – it was great and will likely outlive the car. Wouldn’t have known it has lost it’s silencers apart from a slight rumble when doing a regen.

ElShalimo

The 2010 car I’ve got does not have a regen light, it just does it as you drive without any notification.

So if in my case it wasn’t working very well the there was no warning until the DPF set itself on fire. I mean proper fire, like orange/red molten metal  dripping on the tarmac and plumes of grey smoke going up the road. The fire brigade were called out to hose the underside of the vehicle kind of fire. So not a small DPF issue

airvent
    Free Member

That’s quite impressive to be honest. There can’t be much in there to burn, perhaps it was also covered in or full of engine oil from another issue?

mashr

The 2010 car I’ve got does not have a regen light, it just does it as you drive without any notification

Yeah mine was a 2013 so I’d never even noticed a regen happening before. Luckily never found out in the way you did

raleighimpact

We have a 2012 Mondeo Estate and a 2016 Superb estate.  I prefer the Mondeo, even though its older and less powerful (1.6 vs 2lt).  There’s more room around my left foot, and the boot door keeps me dry when trying to get my boots on (the hinge on the skoda is set further back so it only covers the boot), plus the boot is flat to the door, not sunk like the skoda.

I’m hoping to keep the ford another 5 years/150k mileage (currently 95k) as hopefully there will be lots of WV ID7 going cheap second hand by then.

Northwind

raleighimpact

plus the boot is flat to the door, not sunk like the skoda.

IMO if the boot isn’t flat, it’s not really an estate, it’s just a funny shaped hatchback ;) It makes such a difference to usability. We had the bright idea of putting an old fridge into my brother’s octavia, went in brilliant, coming out,not so brilliant. And if nothing else sitting on the back is so much better.

It’s annoying, it’s not brain surgery and it makes such a difference. I assume there’s some engineering downsides since a flush edged hole will be less strong but it’s obviously not insurmountaible.

Likewise, **** you car manufacturers, don’t box in those unsightly spaces around wheel arches, that might be exactly where the bars want to go. Make the boot as big as possible, make the carpet touch the skin, being nice and regular shaped isn’t a real benefit.

ElShalimo

Anyone drive a Kia Optima estate?

I’ve seen one for sale near me and it looks in good condition. Will try to test drive over the weekend

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.