Home Forums Bike Forum mid 90s LX shifter problems

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • mid 90s LX shifter problems
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got the rear working with new cables but on the front, it won’t hold position when you shift. Any idea what might be causing it?

MarkyG82

wear and tear?

atlaz
    Free Member

Well thanks for that as I’d obviously assumed it’d be as new. I was asking for advice about what might be worn or torn.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

The whole shifter will be worn. They’re not serviceable so only option is to get a new one. hth

MarkyG82

the retaining cogs and ‘pins’ are usually of a plastic type material (thats from my limited experience of pulling a few apart). They just wear out and cannot be replaced/cannot get replacements. Best bet if you want to keep that model is to ask around in a LBS for old stock.

I found one in a shop i worked in and put it aside for ‘safe’ keeping.

adstick
    Free Member

Take the cover off and look for the ‘rachet’ mechanism. There’s a little sprung catch that holds the cog thing in place (not sure my powers of description are up to much…). Often they get a bit sticky, so wiggle it about and give it a dose of GT85 or similar. That might do the trick. :)

coatesy
    Free Member

+1 for a possible sticking pawl due to the grease drying out, won’t cost anything to check,may save you the cost of a new shifter.

gee
    Free Member

Happens quite a lot with old stuff, flush it out thoroughly with spray grease or gt-85 whilst operating the lever loads of times.

GB

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

As above; flush with GT85 or simliar, then lube using something like reclaimed fork oil or 3in1, something light. Grease tends to get sticky and clogs things up when dirt gets in there.

They could just be knackered though. I’ve got some XTs that are gubbed.

Andy-W
    Free Member

try and track down some thumbshifters they will last for ever !!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of them. Noteeth wants them but I’m waiting for the Apocalypse when I know they will be worth more than Bill Gates.

atlaz
    Free Member

Cheers all. I’ll give it another go today. Frankly I’m fed up with the whole sodding thing. Instead of finishing my Hummingbird I’m stuck fixing a bike from an ungrateful bugger who is questioning whether spending 4 quid on cables was “too expensive” so if the gt85 doesn’t sort it I’ll buy a new one and give the bike back to him.

walleater

LOL, but yeah, if you are pushing the lever and it’s not engaging, 90 percent of the time it’s just the sprung ratchet things not moving.

I dread to think how many Rapid Fire shifters have been thrown away over the years because of people saying they are ‘not serviceable’.

atlaz
    Free Member

It helped to a certain degree. Looks like the limit screw has been knackered too but he’s got two gears on the front and seven on the back so he can be satisfied with that. Some new grips, sell on some tyres that will clash with the hummingbird and we’re all done.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘mid 90s LX shifter problems’ is closed to new replies.