Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Merino: hmmm
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I bought icebreaker. Rather unpleasently cold and damp after use. Think I’m preferring poly. Or did I buy the wrong brand?

Kryton57

I’m rather unimpressed with my sports pursuit bought Icebreaker too.

ton

mine is crap too. 200 gsm one. wanna swap it for something manmade if anyone fancies.

rOcKeTdOg

Luv my icebreaker, 3 years old and still going, warm under a windproof or waterproof

Jamie
    Free Member

I like merino socks. When it comes to tops, I go for Craft or Gore man made stuff every time. Add in some windstopper panels, and it’s fun times all round.

ton

RD, wanna cheap xxl one?

djflexure

Never use mine for cycling. Damp, does not dry – cold from the moment you stop. Nice for mooching in.
    Edit: socks are good

fivespot
    Free Member

My Merino doesn’t hmmmm. Have you washed it 😀

Anna-B
    Free Member

Also love my icebreaker, also 3 yrs old, warmest thing I have to cycle in. Don’t think I’ve ever cycled in the rain in it though, without waterproof. It has developed some random holes though, and I bought another one to wear to work, washed it and it shrank – not so good. Might buy another, might not! Not sure I’ve washed the three year old one…. 😯

allthepies
    Free Member

Wouldn’t use merino as a baselayer but works great as a mid-layer for my autumn/winter commutes 🙂

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Moocher here too. Fab for socks – wouldn’t be without them and I love my new On One ‘cardi’ but I’ve struggled with base layers and jerseys when active. TNF Flight Series base layers are light, dry well and don’t hum either.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Go for plastic, it may not feel as nice but it stays dry therefore you stay warmer.

Jamie
    Free Member

Go for plastic, it may not feel as nice but it stays dry therefore you stay warmer.

What about condensation?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Merino is great for apres ride, pretty pants if you get sweaty for during the ride

Ed oxley wasn’t in love with his in the bikepacking article

eyerideit
    Free Member

What about condensation?

Your mid/top layers should wick it away, mine do.

Solo
    Free Member

A Thumbs up for Merino here, Mostly Rapha, I did have my eyes on a few more BaaBaa base layers but then all of a sudden CRC didn’t have any Endura stuff.

Yeah, Merino’s cool.

😉

mooman
    Free Member

Merino does get over rated. Some people will try to convince you its some sort of magical material ..

I got two 250grm merino tops from On One last year … Lovely & warm.
    200grm or less always requires another layer or two if its proper cold.

tmb467
    Free Member

I’ve not had a problem with my Devold mesh top as a base layer. Breathes better than anything I’ve had before and underneath a North Ridge (Go Outdoors) softshell it’s kept me dry and warm

Way better than any plastics (and smells better too!)

KPHC

Have dhb long sleeve and rapha sort sleeve, also sock guy socks. I’m sold on merino, super warm, super comfy (from a wool hater too) and super un-smelly (can wear it for a week of commuting with no pong at all).

Dhb great value for money, rapha is just that bit softer and better fitting. Not much in it though

gab344
    Free Member

Just to chip in for a bit of balance, I have had good experiences with these (apart from being a bit dear now with the exchange rate what it is these days). Ground Effect submerino and Baked Alaska.

It may be a case of there being merino, and then there’s merino …..

d3fm3ch
    Free Member

I’ve had a Howies NBL merino base layer for 6 years. Only now just showing it’s age. I love it. Keeps me warm in winter. Merino + synthetic long sleeve + altura shell = Toasty.

cinnamon_girl

I’m convinced that Icebreaker quality has changed over the years. My ancient one does not get damp whereas the newer one does. Fabrics are totally different.

Am quite happy wearing Berghaus men’s base layers – certainly stay dry and warm.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’m amazed people find merino cold when damp compared to synthetic. Doesn’t dry as well, but never feel cold in it and I get proper sweaty! Anyone got any medium icebreakers they want rid of?

MoreCashThanDash

I’m another disappointed cold damp Icebreaker user – much prefer the feel of my Bamboo Clothing bamboo base layer, just as warm, just as odour resistant, warmer, quicker drying and nicer for loafing around in after a ride

druidh
    Free Member

The emperors new base layer I’m afraid. I flirted with it (very) briefly and quickly came to the conclusion that it soaked out too much and took too long to dry and so was rubbish for the multi-day trips where the anti-pong properties would have been useful.

Not so bad if woven in with something else (e.g. Ground Effect Submerino, some Helly Hansen mixes).

jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve been switching between my icebraker merino base layer and my various synthetic ones with my Endura Helium. I was slowly starting to think my Altura winter baselayer was better than the merino job until I stuck the merino on again for a 4hour ride in close to zero degrees with a serious windchill.

The icebreaker merino felt warmer very soon into the ride and shortly thereafter I’d forgotten about it. I then wore it on Monday passed – nearly 3 hours in the driving rain, gale force wind, on top of a mountain, miserable conditions. I was wearing my merino icebreaker with an Endura Helium jacket, nothing else up top and my upper body felt pretty much spot on despite being soaked. My lower half with synthetic liner shorts and Endura MT500 spray baggies were soaked, cold and saturated. Freezing in fact. Each to their own.

tomaso
    Free Member

Never had that problem with Howies. But no mztter.what.you wear when you’ve been riding hard.you.will be damp & cold – so don’t stop so long!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

My endura baa baa has been brilliant. It’s starting to look a little worn after a couple of years use but I’ll be replacing it with a new baa baa for sure.

mikemorini
    Free Member

I believe Icebreaker moved production from NZ to China a few years ago.
    Although not cycle specific Chocolate Fish Merino (a truly terrible name) is authentic NZ merino and has kept me warm and dry both cycling and under a dry suit whilst canoeing.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I have a Heli Henson merino mix base layer very warm often have just that underneath my waterproof in mid winter and it does me.

hh45
    Free Member

I actually do think Merino is a miracle product. I have 5 Merino baselayers from Howies and IB and only the 250 micron IB is not a total success. They are all over 3 yrs old though so I can’t comment on the latest of theirs.

I also have merino socks by Sportwool and De Feet and a Howies merino T shirt and they are all great as well.

I feel the cold badly but don’t like being sweaty either and it just seems to cope with a range of temperatures and work levels better than anything else. How anyone can prefer a Helly Hansen or other artificial product beats me but each to their own. Its a free world but you are missing out!

sputnik
    Free Member

Ton, I could be interested in your xxl Icebreaker , how much are you after?

wallop

Love my endura baa baas. Long sleeved, with long sleeve jersey in the winter, and short sleeve jersey in spring/autumn.

Great for skiing, too.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I get on fine with 3 different brands of merino socks but the old icebreaker and the new icebreaker are useless on the bike.

The long sleeve Bontrager ‘race’ thermal 100% polyester mid-weight top I recently bought is the biz. I have an old Endura made of similar material but its a bit heavier (which will be used in sub zero conditions around here) but the number of rides that have been spoilt in summer and winter from soaking wet merino Icebreakers had to end. They are great for next to the skin at work or just faffing about where you know you won’t be breaking a sweat (nice easy ride in sub zero conditions?) but I won’t be putting them on for any brisk rides in the future.

If I had bought them in 2012 I’d have nominated them as the worst purchase of 2012 on that other thread. I feel like I’ve been sold an Ion band having bought merino baselayers for cycling. Well done to those that convinced me! This is something I’ll look back on in many years and think wtf went wrong there.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I feel the cold badly but don’t like being sweaty either and it just seems to cope with a range of temperatures and work levels better than anything else. How anyone can prefer a Helly Hansen or other artificial product beats me but each to their own. Its a free world but you are missing out!

Try one of those Bonty race ls thermals and get back to me after a frosty one. The cut (hugging very well next to the skin down my entire back) makes quite a difference. None of the snug Icebreakers hug me like this. Even if they did.. it’d be soaking wet :O)

Northwind

I had a ground effect base which never really impressed me, replaced it with a lighter weight £5 synthetic which works far better- warmer, and doesn’t get that instant damp feel. On the other hand it does smell horrendous.

walleater

I think I bought my Lab Gear merino base layer circa 2005 and it’s still going strong. As a side note, it’s probably been tumble dried 100’s of times and is still the same size as then I bought it. I guess they are not trading any more?

tomd
    Free Member

I have a Howies merino top from 2005 which is still going strong as my “go to” thermal, although it probably thinner that it was. Cost per use it’s the best item of clothing I’ve ever bought. I also have a Rab MeCo merino mix top that has been excellent. I wash both these tops with other stuff and they’re both fine. I have an Ice Breaker top from a couple of years ago which seems to have turned scratchy with age and doesn’t seem to be lasting half as well as the Howies or the Rab. I guess this might be the downside of merino, you just don’t know what you’re getting.

ian martin
    Free Member

I wear a lot of merino and love it but found some makes are head and shoulders above others on quality.
    Howies merino is very good, Endura is only alright.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

i have a Ground Effect submariner one which i’ve had for years and is excellent but i think is not 100% merino – i also have an icebreaker once which is pants.
    I guess there’s merino and there’s merino.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Merino: hmmm’ is closed to new replies.