Home Forums Bike Forum Maxxis Wide Trail 2.4s

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Maxxis Wide Trail 2.4s
  • mjsmke

Maxxis use to say WT tyres were optimised for 30 to 35mm rims. Anyone know if this is still the case?

Currently got them on 30mm (internal rims) which work well.  I have some 33mm rims to try out but not sure if they’ll be too wide for 2.4s and my not very heavy body.

Kramer
    Free Member

I doubt they’d be awful, but to my mind 35s go with 2.6s.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Was pondering this the other day after I bought some non WT Maxxis for the wife’s 23mm internal rims.

It feels like matching rim width to tyre width used to be a big thing but only Maxxis seem to do it now. 45mm gravel tyres are being fitted to 25mm rims.

BillOddie

I’ve used “not WT 2.3” and “WT 2.4” Maxxis DHRII tyres on the same 30mm internal rims and WT is defo a bit more suitable, the narrower tyres just square off a bit.

I have also used Specialized 2.6 and 2.3 (bigger than maxxis 2.3) on the same 30mm internal rims and both work well.  Aaaaaaand I’ve used a narrower (25mm I think) rim with the same specialized 2.3 and that’s fine too.

The only issue I have had with running not-WT 2.3 maxxis on 30mm rims was the old Minion SS which was semi slick in the middle of the tread, so you’d end up with the should knobs taller than the centre due to the squaring off.

TLDR: 30-35mm internal rims will be fine with anything from 2.3 to 2.6 in my experience.

Speeder

Is 3mm going to make the slightest bit of difference? MAXXIS WTs are ace

matt_outandabout

35s go with 2.6s.

I so dislike the mixed measurement systems…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.