Home Forums Bike Forum M7100 SLX 12 Speed Cassette Wear

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • M7100 SLX 12 Speed Cassette Wear
  • Cowman

Hi

The wear on my rear cassette, especially the larger rings is incredible.  Is there a way I can drill the rivets and add a new big ring to the cassette?  Does anyone know of a third party part to do this.

I’m just pained to spend £110 on a complete new cassette.

Thanks

rootes1

Are you spending a lot of time in the larger sprockets?

Yak

When you need to replace it, go for deore instead. Cheaper and no alu sprockets.

Also are you measuring the chain wear? 12speed needs a new chain at +0.5%.

b33k34

My Orbea Rise has done nearly 2500km. I’ve just replaced the chain and the cassette is running fine with the new chain. I’ve got a Park CC2 (which is easy to read) and a Shimano CN42 (which is supposed to measure the real chain wear) and both said the chain was still ok when I removed it but I’m slightly concerned that the shape of the plates on the 12 speed chain means they dont measure properly with the tools…

intheborders
    Free Member

Probably worth changing to a smaller front ring.

How stretched is your chain?

joebristol

The slx only has one alloy ring hasn’t it – I’ve got the xt and it’s coming up 2 years old and on its 3rd chain (1x shimano / 2x XX1) and the alloy rings are beginning to look a bit sorry for themselves. The steel rings on the rest of the cassette don’t look too bad. I’m just running it into the ground now and then going to replace cassette / chain and maybe the chainring all in one go when it starts skipping etc. Probably just going to go slx on cost grounds as the XT is mental money now. Thought I’d see the cost of gx eagle as an alternative and that’s even more mental.

I was running a 32t ring on the 650b bike it’s on and now got a 30t ring on as I moved to a 29er. Trying not to use the easiest 2 gears where not needed given they’re alloy.

You could always size down the front chainring if you’re using the 51t cog too much.

Not aware you can just change one cog out as those top few rings are all riveted together and never seen spare ones sold.

Cowman

Cheers all for your help.

I’ve had it on a year, its done between 600 and 700k, which seems like a really small amount to need to change it. I probably am spending too much time at the top end, and Ill look to reduce the tooth count on the front ring as an idea.  I have run alu rings before in a 10 speed and have not had anywhere near this wear.

Yes, the SLX only has the one alu ring.  The suggestion of deore is a good one thanks.  I’ll look into that.

The chain wear on the current chain is fine, I’m quite good at keeping up with this.  Checked it last weekend and it wasn’t at 0.5 yet. Using a park tools tool.

Thanks for your help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.