Home Forums Chat Forum Longshot. Help me find a lost walk near Pateley Bridge

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Longshot. Help me find a lost walk near Pateley Bridge
  • MadBillMcMad

This is a real longshot.

Years ago (50+) my elder brother used to take me on a lovely short walk somewhere near the Pateley Bridge , Blubberhouses area. Now my eldest is in the area I thought I would try & find it but after scouring OS maps for several evenings I give up.

I remember parking up on a quiet lane right next to the start. The walk was immediately in deciduous trees up a tight little valley with a stream at the bottom. I remember knee deep troughs of leaves. It started I think on the right of the stream & soon crossed, going passed what we used to call the entrance to ‘The mines of Moria’ ! A small rock face. The walk then carried on up & soon opened out on to heather moors. I do not remember often carrying on to he moors & the walk must have only been a few miles long.

Does this ring any bells with any locals please? I have no idea if it was a public FP.

The best candidate I have found on maps is Redshaw Gill, 54.0046N, 1.7613W : SE15745654
    But on the map that does not look woody enough.

Redshaw_Gill

robola

What about just SW of Bewerley? The path starting at the FB above middle tongue below:

Screenshot_20241017-120139

johndoh
    Free Member

Could it be up near How Stean Gorge?

Ioneonic

Is is the Yorke’s of Bewerley Trail here? https://nidderdaleaonb.org.uk/visiting/outdoor-and-active/walking/

I did this recently and the description sounds right. It’s a lovely walk even if it’s the wrong lovely walk

MadBillMcMad

Cheers guys,

How steen, pretty sure not as it is a tiny little valley.

Middle tongue is a distinct possibility. It is also on that Yorke’s route. I’ll pop over and check it out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.