Home Forums Bike Forum Lezyne Mega Drive 2400+ Front Bike Light

• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by nippy.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lezyne Mega Drive 2400+ Front Bike Light
  • nippy
    Free Member

Ello,

Has anyone had any experience using this light??  Would love to do some night riding (mostly in forest and moor trails) but don’t intend to be out all the time hence the lower priced option.  Appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers

papamountain
    Free Member

I bought one recently for my eeb. No problems so far, lots of light. I bought one of these bar clamps for it though for a more secure fit. – https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/lezyne_led_handlebar_mount_kit_y6-11_lights-31449?_kx=vTjeN-6QhmnXAD5Tkq1T6dUPpyrt7J-2p9OOScJBK4A.RPQ2Jz

You can set it to race mode or something which gives it just two modes – high and low if like me you don’t want to cycle through a load of unnecessary modes.

nippy
    Free Member

Cool, thanks for the reply!  I’ll have a look at the clamp.

dc1988

I don’t have that light but would agree the standard mount would be useless (all rubber strap style ones are) and being able to set it to two modes sounds great, I only think you need two modes most of the time, high for downhill and low for uphill and flat.

There are some cheaper options available like the Halfords one or some off AliExpress but you might be taking more of a risk with them when it comes to build quality, warranty and usability.

desperatebicycle

Not that one, but had a couple of lower powered Lezyne lights and they are great while they last. But the battery doesn’t seem to have a long life and you can’t replace it. So not sure I’d have one as a night riding light. Though not sure what “Infinite Light Power Pack+ compatibility” means. Infinite?! Go for it. (Quick search and can’t see that pack for sale in the UK)

I guess it’s this battery pack in the pic

https://ride.lezyne.com/cdn/shop/files/1-LED-7A-V404_MegaDrive2400_-LoadedKit_v1_R1.jpg?v=1726180760&width=800

Also, it has 8 modes – IME Lezyne’s mode change is scrolling through all 8 modes every time, which is a bit crap. But it may not bother you.

heebyjeeby

I have the Mega-Drive 1200 and have to say even with that one I am impressed with the light it gives out (though underpowered for anything getting technical its good on fire-roads etc and passable on any more).  I would expect the 2400 to be sufficient and indeed am considering getting.  The quality of build of the 1200 is good but as others have said the strap is not up to much (on rocky descents the light rotates round and points at the ground).  I ended up unscrewing the strap from the bottom, attaching an exposure mount to the light and then using an Exposure handlebar mount (did not realise at the time that Lezyne sell separate mounts).

As above I am super impressed with the 1200 (which was initially bought as a back up light for a 6 pack).  The only other issue is the cycling through various modes, which can be avoided by using on race mode (on the 1200 the lower setting is pretty dim, but on the 2400 its brighter).

I would happily get the 2400 in fact think I might – however my choice has also been confused by the Raveman 2400 which also looks good, seems a bit better for the road sections and also has a handlebar remote (but still requires cycling through the modes).

nippy
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies all!  Still swithering about this one or just grabbing a top end one and sucking it up……Probably the better option.

dc1988

An Exposure light will last for years and is cheaply and easily serviceable. It’s likely to be an expensive purchase that you probably won’t regret

retrorick

My lezyne 1200 light broke out of warranty. I took it apart to see if I could fix it and I couldn’t do it easily.

Most of my friends exposure lights have been fixed both in warranty and occasionally out of warranty for a price. They aren’t user serviceable and therefore require postage and extra hassle.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a Leyzne front light and I have tried several of their back lights – albeit a fair few years ago. However they all had one thing in common, which was a really slow flash on the flash setting. I think this is worse than useless as the light is off for a second or so which is easily enough for a driver’s eyes to not see you. And if you’re commuting with lots of these on slow flash you can’t make anything out and you have no idea what’s moving where. I like flashing lights for the rear and for the front in daytime but they have to flash quickly. Lezyne don’t see to have considered this.

MrSparkle

That clamp s out of stock. The two Lezyne lights that I have had failed out of warranty with pbc issues. Just sayin’…

steezysix
    Free Member

No experience with the Lezyne light, but I’ve got a Fenix BC30 and would definitely recommend! Comes with a solid handlebar mount (other types are available as spares) and a remote control switch. They also do a rechargeable version, but I like to be able to carry spare batteries for longer rides in the winter.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-bc30-v2-bike-light?srsltid=AfmBOoqiwLhi4gV8XVOTBaRkULBTk8bCM0i7CjSa1-zNFWvUoxrjW-h6

retrorick

I use a wuben c3 for my lighting duties. Spare 18650 battery in my bag for backup.

nippy
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s not so good 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.