• This topic has 1,777 replies, 225 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by Kuco.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 1,778 total)
  • Lego WANT of the Day
  • jamj1974

That Nebulon B is amazing!

Cougar

That’s gonna be a right prick to dust.

bigblackshed

Compressed air for dusting, low pressure from an airbrush compressor, and a very slightly damp car detailing brush.

Brushes from eBay, no need to spend more than a few pounds.

Northwind

Just saw on HUKD that Hamleys has some sale items that you can double up with a first time buyer discount. Looks like a decent price for the Tiger With The Bumhole

kimbers

I feel this should be to the scale of Daffys frigate

It was a tricky build tho nothing compared to daffys!

2022-01-04_11-18-12

pictonroad

Just finished the Ghostbusters Ecto 1 car. Absolutely fantastic build. So many ‘how the hell did they figure that out’ moments.

Enjoyed it a lot more than previous mega technic builds. Is following a particular designer a thing in the lego world?

Cougar

I have no idea but I’d guess “a” designer is rare, I’d expect they get iterated through loads of people.

That Red Dwarf is ace.

Northwind

I have the red dwarf in a bag, haven’t got round to building it yet but it looks fantastic. It was the tiny starbug that sold me

kiwijohn

I’m really enjoying the Space Shuttle build. The landing gear is brilliant. Just about to start the nose section.
    The Hubble is beautiful too.

breadcrumb

Ecto-1 is definitely on my list.

What happens when your display shelf gets full?!

grahamt1980

@kimbers where did you get the red dwarf?

kimbers
    grahamt1980

Ta

jamj1974

Ecto 1 and the Space Shuttle both have some great techniques used. I enjoyed the build of those hugely – although they are a little large to store/display easily.

hot_fiat

mini_fiat and I built these two over the the Christmas break. The tracked racer is really good fun – his first proper technic set too. Would love to convert it to powered up as I reckon it’d be awesome with two properly synced motors. As it is, its a bit on-off, but still hilarious to blat around the kitchen. Hopefully we’ll get some snow this week & we can go play in the street with it.

We loved building this as he’s just getting into Harry Potter.

We’ve some track we use for the Krokodil and a goods train, so I decided to mod the tender with a powered up train motor and hub. Next job is to fit the carriage with some magnetic couplings & build another bit of stock. I might replace the train motor with a large motor which would give us much better control. The train motor has no tacho output so full speed is about 200mph, whereas with a large motor I could code some limits into the custom controller. My ocd doesn’t like the fact the rods are not quartered, nor in any way realistic, so that might get dealt with.

Somehow this also managed to wangle its way down the chimney. I’m trying to put off building it until after we move house.

Superficial
    Free Member

We loved building this as he’s just getting into Harry Potter.

We’ve some track we use for the Krokodil and a goods train, so I decided to mod the tender with a powered up train motor and hub.

Same. My 6 yo loved it. We’ve similarly put a motor in – interested in how you did it. On ours, the tender wheels are motorised with the battery above. We housed the remote receiver where the fire was in the engine, but it’s a bit messy with wires. Ours is Power Functions, I think, not Powered Up. I’m not sure on the difference, think power functions is slightly older tech.

ossify

That roller coaster 😍
    Want!

richmtb

the tracked racer is really good fun – his first proper technic set too. Would love to convert it to powered up as I reckon it’d be awesome with two properly synced motors. As it is, its a bit on-off, but still hilarious to blat around the kitchen. Hopefully we’ll get some snow this week & we can go play in the street with it.

You’ve probably figured this out already, but as there are gears between the motor and the drive wheels for the tracks you can mess about with different ratios to make the model behave differently. Fun little experiment if you have some extra Technic gears lying around

northernmatt

Ecto-1 is definitely on my list.

What happens when your display shelf gets full?!

Move house!

I built Ecto-1 but pretty soon after had to tear down and bag it up as we just had too much on display and it was looking messy. We were already looking for a new place anyway, just need to make sure it’s got space for lots of Lego. I have the Bugatti but can’t bring myself to build it as we just don’t have the room.

hot_fiat

@superficial the powered up hub uses Bluetooth for control, so you only need link the motor and hub directly. Everything is self contained in the tender unit.

Cougar

That roller coaster 😍
    Want!

Already retired, unfortunately. That’s amazing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve just acquired £100 worth or Argos vouchers but there’s not really anything practical that I want. Not had Lego for about 30 years so thinking of giving it a go. Would even put say £75 of my own towards it.

Any suggestions on good sets? So far, been looking at the BMW motorbike, the land rover defender, the American tow truck or the dodge charger.
    What’s good for a fun/challenging build?

Bought a friend the bargain McLaren for Christmas that was mentioned on this thread and wish I’d got two of them. It seems to have doubled in price now though.

northernmatt

Depends whether you want Technic or System (normal Lego).

The typewriter is meant to be a challenging build from what I’ve heard. If you want Technic though I’d go for the Defender. Argos often have sales on Lego so keep an eye out if you’re not wanting something straightaway.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers. Just realised that I’d somehow stumbled away from the Argos page and they don’t have anything I was looking at. Guess I will be waiting a while.

Daffy

Final bit of detail for the Nebulon B:

I can’t take much credit for the original design – that belongs to a guy who goes by Mortesv, who’s design was split into a 1500 page instruction book, but by different people. NO thought was given to the design during this process and it was a real damned mess. As a result, the internal structure of mine is quite substantially different from his original design, as is some of the detailing, especially on the rear sections. His was full of really crappy connections (single studs to hold things all over the place) or illegal attachments which made the whole thing flimsy at best. I’ve probably used another 800-1100 pieces making it structurally stable…mostly anyway. I can now pick it up by the central spar without bits falling off everywhere and the entire front section splitting in two from the nose to the hanger bay.

Happy to be done with it though.

dirkpitt74

Well the Mrs & Daughter have finished building there Harry Potter Christmas Lego….

It’s now been added to the rest of the collection:

Click image to expand….

Will see how much more they release and we can fit in lol

jamj1974

Move over, Mario.

There’s more genius in any 5 minutes of Super Mario 3 play than you can find there in the total of all Sonic the Hedgehog games.

40mpg

Making a start on the crimbo pressie. Can you tell what it is yet? 😁

paino

AT-AT

Cougar

Oh, this is pretty.

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/bmw-m-1000-rr-42130

Also pretty expensive. But pretty.

stumpyjon

That bike is nice but I’m running out of room.

40mpg

@paino – the force is strong in you!

timmys

Not a big Lego nerd, but was given the Ducati Panigale for Christmas, and I enjoyed the build far more than any cars I’ve done previously for some reason. That BMW might go on the wish list, but 3x the price of the Ducati seems a bit steep.

EDIT; Actually, it’s exactly 3x the number of pieces now I look, so guess it makes sense.

Houns

Found all my old Lego instruction booklets, just need to now go through the boxes of mixed up Lego to sort it into these sets and give to my niece

sweaman2
    Free Member

Oh man. So many memories. 8855 is definitely with my parents and the pneumatic crane top right as well. Pretty sure I lusted after but didn’t get 8862.

I was looking at some of these instruction books and I think they’re way less clear than the modern versions (more pieces per step and less helpful arrows)- or I’ve just got old….

Cougar

I still have, boxed, the 8860 there.

beamers

8860 and 8851 here. In boxes but not boxed if that makes sense.

labsey
    Free Member

Enjoyed it a lot more than previous mega technic builds. Is following a particular designer a thing in the lego world?

Yes! https://brickset.com/ usually lists who the designer was for a set. Having watched some of the product videos, there’s usually one main designer but they’ll get help from other experts where needs be.

zilog6128

I had the seaplane 8855 as a kid, loved it! Really wanted the pneumatic 8862 which my mate had, but it was not to be. They were amazing sets at the time but so basic compared to modern Technic!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.