• This topic has 1,777 replies, 225 voices, and was last updated 5 days ago by Kuco.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 1,778 total)
  • Lego WANT of the Day
  • 5lab

After a week of trying to find the bits for the sets we have (to get rid of them) I might never want to see any Lego ever again. Top picture is after a week of sorting – it’s now possible to walk across the living room, and to sit without a tray of Lego on your knee.

you can order odd bits from lego for 10p a piece if you’re a couple of bits short. also there should be a page in the instructions that shows you every bit in the set (rather than going through them page-by-page)

stumpyjon

Or you can access the inventories on Brick Owl, type in the set number in the search bar and it will bring up the whole inventory which you can click through and buy spares for. Lego has increased it’s pick a brick range a lot but they are still slow and shipping costs high unless you buy a lot. Plenty of people selling new Lego on Brick Owl who will deliver in 48 hours.

Anyway sorting Lego is part of the fun, I’ve just bought 7Kg of light grey Lego from Ebay for £60, I’ve sorted half of it and the resale value is already working out at 4 times what I paid for it.

Cougar

the resale value is already working out at 4 times what I paid for it.

Selling individual bricks or reconstructing sets or…?

Cougar
    creakingdoor
    Free Member
    Cougar

Lego Technic McLaren 30% off in Asda

I’m told by my tame petrolhead that the new livery has just been announced, which might be why there’s a sudden price drop on the old colours.

stumpyjon

Selling individual bricks or reconstructing sets or…?

Individual bricks based the current prices. I have my entire collection listed on Brick Owl and it gives you a real time estimate of what it’s worth based on average selling prices. Can fluctuate a bit day to day. Bad news is prices seem to be heading downwards, I think Lego hit a peak around Covid.

All 218857 of the bricks, yes I know I should get out and ride my bike but it’s a better habit than many and my wife already has plans to flip the whole lot to sale mode the moment I’m gone (if she can find my log in details).

Estimated Value: £20,263.21. 218857 items in 8545 lots.

PS I have not spent £20k or any where near that on Lego (I think), careful bulk buys on Ebay and pick a brick walls in Lego stores can be good sources of lots of Lego cheap. There was someone selling their entire Lego reseller business on Ebay not so long back, wife said no.

Alex

IMG_2644

Finally got round to building the ‘bigger’ T2. Already has the smaller red one. Thanks Dry Jan for getting it done after it’d sat in the box for 18 months. It wasn’t my favourite build but some clever bits – like how the roof hinges and slides.

Alex

IMG_2645

In Situ – I moved the Red one and – as this sits behind my laptop used for teams – one of my customers noticed 🙂 I’ve got his card marked!

stumpyjon

How do people have kits sat around unbuilt for 18 months!!!!!!

Alex

Some of it was because we were having work done on the house and flat surfaces were at a premium. Secondly I always found something else to do. Generally involving having a beer. When I did start it tho, it was a few hours for a few nights full on building.

My wife has the Technic Crane (last one before you needed the app) about 1/4 built. A state it has been in for at least three years!

Daffy

Busy job, kids schoolwork/projects/classes, bikes to ride, carreer to fettle, DIY to do, mortgages (or whatever it is this week) , TV to watch (as I’m usually a bit knackered after the above)  inevitably, bikes to fix, meals to cook, plan, yadda, yadda, yadda.

My job is also quite demanding of my eyes for detail work, sometime, the last thing I wat to do at the end of a day is trawl through lots of things which’re largely the same colour, but a slightly different shape looking for one specific thing.  THAT, is more work.

Hence why I’m now sat on…..11 kits to build none of which have less that 1600 pieces and some have a lot more – I’m looking at you Monarch!  K2SO was 4500 shiny black and grey bits…uuugh.

Cougar

Depression?

I built my Christmas Lego in January. Christmas 13 months ago.

stumpyjon

Eek, ironically Lego is my happy place, its what I do to relax, I love the sorting and collecting as much as the building. Its a world away from my day job where I rarely get a moment to myself. I do build my own stuff but will often buy instructions for third party MOCs and build them. Sourcing the parts is part of the fun for me. Other people run ultra marathons for fun. YMMV.

I do occaisionaly ride my bikes as well and for balance spend at least a day a month trail building which is pretty heavy physical work and also a million miles from the day job but equally constructive.

aide

Have had an R2D2 set (birthday present, didn’t buy it myself) sitting in a box for 10 years now

soundninjauk

I like the anticipation. I currently have four sets waiting to be built, including a Pirates of Barracuda Bay I got off BrickLink last week but don’t intend to build for a few months yet. Shelf space is also a factor, I want to give things plenty of time to gather dust before they’re retired for something newer and shinier.

mrchrispy

I have the shuttle, batman tumbler and the Dune ornithopter sat in their boxes waiting to be build, the shuttle is from christmas 2022. It drives me son mad 🙂
    I find it strangely soothing knowing they are there waiting to be build

tomhoward

Waiting to be built, and have been for a while…

Doms Charger
    New Defender
    Ferrari GT3
    Peugeot 9×8
    Technic Crane

Currently a couple of bags into Concorde. Lego building pace seems to have dropped off of late!

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Currently waiting:

Lunar Lander

Technic All-Terrain Crane

Landrover 42110

Technic bulldozer 8275

Technic excavator 8294

rockhopper70

I think in the grand scheme of an investment, it isn’t going to be brilliant, but I still have the shipping boxed covered, never opened Bugatti Chiron I bought three years ago for £95. I don’t think I will ever build it as I don’t have anywhere to put it.

My daughter bought me the Porsche Targa kit last Christmas and that is also untouched but once I get a space for it, I may build that.

northernmatt

Space & time, not in some weird physics based lunacy but the real sense. I’ve had the UCS Millenium Falcon for nearly two years because we just don’t have anywhere to put it until we convert the loft. Same goes for the wifes Disney Castle. I’ve also got 4 modular buildings which need to be unboxed from the house move 4 months ago but I may sell those on.

I have just bought the Up house from Sainsburys though because it was cheap and I needed a quick Lego fix.

stumpyjon

I think you lot are just trolling me now 🙂

I do get the space to display issue, even with this setup I’m running out of space.

Lego

bigdawg
    Free Member

I know they’re discontinued but is anyone aware of where I can get the two VW campers??

Onzadog
    Free Member

even with this setup I’m running out of space.

I thought space was infinite .

creakingdoor
    Free Member

where I can get the two VW campers??

Lego secondhand might be quite expensive now. It’s heresy I know but you could try some of the Chinese copies.

I wouldn’t personally, but many do.

peterno51

@stumpyjon

”And yet, across the gulf of space
    Minds immeasurably superior to ours
    Regarded this Earth Display Cabinet, with envious eyes
    And slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us..”

stumpyjon

Ebay or Amazon. Or if you want to do it the hard way.

Instructions here

Parts list here

Might possibly work out cheaper to buy the parts separately from Lego / Brick Owl / Bricklink as long as there are no rare parts which can be very expensive.

Full sets also available to buy on Brick Owl / Bricklink

Cougar

”And yet, across the gulf of space
    Minds immeasurably superior to ours
    Regarded this Earth Display Cabinet, with envious eyes
    And slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us..”

Well, what are the chances of that.

Daffy

@Bigdawg – I have the Red 10220 van with box and instructions that I could be willing to part with.  It has been built but would be dismantled into the original bagging sequence for postage.  Let me know if you’re interested.

Daffy

I have a strict 6 models on display at any given time, so in addition to those waiting to be built, I have a whole load more that’re back in their boxes.

Star Destroyer, Millennium Falcon, Imperal Shuttle, B-wing, etc, etc, etc, etc.

wooksterbo

I have quite the issue with lots of Star Wars sets and no space to put them.

@Daffy
    are you keeping those sets to then build and display again? Is the shuttle the UCS one, that’s massive isn’t it? I mean I know the Falcon is huge but the shuttle is quite tall?

Cougar

Incidentally,

Is it just me or is modern Lego packaging disappointing? I have old sets here like the 853 Technic car chassis and the box is a thing of beauty in its own right. The whole top lid folds back to reveal a plastic insert with all the bricks sorted out and special slots for cogs and such, it was part of the experience as a kid. Today you’ve got a cardboard box with a rip opener and crappy one-use plastic* bags. The last model I built was Darth Vader’s helmet**, I threw the box out.

Untitled

(* – I hear Lego is moving to recyclable paper baggies)
    (** – quiet at the back, this isn’t Spaceballs)

Daffy

@wooksterbro – yes, that’s the one.  It’s huge and quite flimsy but is an impressive kit when built.

I have on occasion rebuilt some of the kits for redisplay.  I’ve now built and dismantled the Falcon twice as it’s a great kit, possibly the best of them.  I’ve also sold it twice.  This time I’m keeping it.

If I’m brutally honest, I don’t know if I’ll rebuild them.  That’s the plan, but with the frequency of new UCS kits being released and the backlog of new kits that I have….but I’m loath to part with them as once you do, it’s often hard to economically buy back in.

They’re in black bags and then vacuum bags (lightly sealed) in the loft

Ambrose

Oh Gosh, what’s happenned to me!?!?

It’s like a revelation, all of a sudden my latent Legoness has burst out. All the stack and stotes have been retrieved from the loft. I’ve driven miles to buy new for me sets, I’ve downloaded MOCs and purchased bits online.

A few questions, if I may.
    1 Is there an app. whereby I can put in the parts that I need and then it will tell me who/ where I can purchase them from?
    2 If parts are missing when a seller advertises the set as complete what is the protocol?
    3 My loft stash is pretty daunting. Is there a good way to sort it? I’m considering a stacking sieve made from Gratnell trays at the moment.
    4 How to then store/ organise?

Any offers of help would be more than welcome, thank you.

stumpyjon
    • Its addictive.

1. Ues Brick Owl and Bricklink. I prefer Brick Owl, Bricklink is bigger but i dont like the website. Also Lego now sell and extensive range of pieces on line, its a bit random but sometimes they are significantly cheaper than the reseller market, sometimes more expensive. For extra geekiness you can also log you collection piece by piece on Brick Owl and it will give you a daily esitmate of its worth on the second hand market, bit like watching the stock market.
    2. Depends where youve bought it from, how much you paid and whats missing. If its a few common pieces and bought from Ebay suck it up. If its a lot or rare pieces bad feedback and demand a refund etc.
    3. When i buy bulk I do a three stage sort, stage one is into categories, stage 2 is a further sorting of the categories, stage 3 down to colour and specific piece type (bearing in mind there can be 3 or more variations of some elements, the variations may be cosmetic or may have a functiknal impact on the piece. Sort by element type not colour, its easier to spot the colour you want amonhst elements of the same type than spot the element you want amongst a mass of the same colour.
    4. Organiser draws or cases, i like the cases with the removeable boxes, allows you to tip them out to find a part or colour, organisers with partitions are a pain.

clubby

Any recommendations for decent cheaper  baseplates? Bought some from Smyth’s but the fit isn’t great. Fine for mini figures and smaller bases but by the time I’m trying to anchor bigger buildings the fit error has multiplied to an extent they don’t fit well. Seen some giant ones on Temu but not sure if they are decent.

Also seen some peel and stick style on Amazon. Could be an option to stick down to mdf board?

Houns

Have had fun building the Kingfisher and daffodils with my 6yo niece. I’ve got the moon phase model thingy waiting to be built too 

Daffy

IMG_6504IMG_6496IMG_6498IMG_6500IMG_6501IMG_6502

Daffy

Not sure what happened to my text.  Anyway – PiXEL-DAN’s T6 Jedi Shuttle MOC – 5184 parts and just awesome.

It’s a little precarious on its stand, but the build is truly excellent! Very details, very big and very heavy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.