Home Forums Bike Forum Leaking GRX caliper – warranty?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Leaking GRX caliper – warranty?
  • luv2ride
    Free Member

Son bought a Merlin Malt G2(?) last Autumn, been a cracking bike at a time when alternative choices were few and far between. Went for a ride on Monday and he lost all breaking at rear, the caliper seemingly splurging fluid from the piston. Now no resistance on lever so assume no fluid/pressure left in system.

I said he should speak to Merlin about a replacement caliper under warranty. If anyone has returned Shimano brakes under similar circumstances, does the retailer need only the caliper returning, or the lever, hose and caliper? As the rear brake line is internally routed through the downtube, I’ll need to unattach the caliper (losing any remaining fluid) anyway. Hopefully they don’t need the whole bike sending back…

Merlin are being a little slow to reply to emails, and presume it isn’t appropriate to ask an LBS to help with the warranty return, giving they wont be the original retailer?
    Cheers

fibre
    Free Member

Id be surprised if they want more than the Caliper, it’s easier for everyone.

I would say shops generally don’t like adopting problems on things they haven’t sold, it’s time you could be selling or repairing something. On the flipside, a good shop might use it as an opportunity to gain a new customer. It’s worth an ask, but don’t be offended if they say no.

You could also contact the UK Shimano Distributer, they might refer you to a local dealer – http://www.madison.co.uk

bikerevivesheffield

Good luck getting a caliper

bigyan
    Free Member

Anybody with a Madison account can process a Shimano warranty, expect to pay for their time and postage though if not purchased from them. Some shops will just refuse to deal with things they have not sold.

I think GRX calipers are out of stock though, so they may warranty it, but be unable to replace it. Madison sometimes issue the trade account with a credit for trade price if they dont have a replacement, which is really annoying for the shop and customer.

bigyan
    Free Member

Just need the caliper for a leaky caliper warranty.

ETAs are ridiculous for lots of parts just now

luv2ride
    Free Member

Thanks all. GRX 400 calipers in stock with Tweeks just now, so did wonder whether actually worth the faff to claim, or just get a replacement for £42….

simondbarnes

Buy a new caliper, warranty the old one so that you’ve got a spare.

bigyan
    Free Member

GRX BR-RX400 caliper is out of stock with Madison.

If you can buy one somewhere I would buy it, fit it the bike so you can ride, then return the old caliper for warranty replacement, and if you get a new one then you have a spare or can punt it on ebay. Better than waiting months for a warranty replacement.

And keep hassling Merlin as they sold it.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Rear grx 400 caliper now ordered, we’ll see what “in stock ready for immediate despatch” really means!

rOcKeTdOg

Thanks all. GRX 400 calipers in stock with Tweeks just now

In stock at tweeks doesn’t mean you’ll get one for a warranty that has to go back to Madison. Last time I checked GRX calipers were due spring 2022

Edit, I see you bought one, sell it on eBay for twice it’s value in a week or so 👍

luv2ride
    Free Member

Update: new caliper turned up from Tweeks today, who are now out of stock. Merlin also confirmed they only need the faulty caliper returning, so looks like I can now get the son back on the road whilst it gets sorted. Also read about the Shimano factory closure in Malaysia due to Covid, so think we’ve been pretty lucky getting a replacement. Sounds like it may well have taken a long while to get warrantied otherwise…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Leaking GRX caliper – warranty?’ is closed to new replies.