Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 2,190 total)
  • Lance, latest have we done it yet.
  • mt
    Free Member

Just seen latest on Roadcc.

RealMan
    Free Member

Controversial opinion there.

yossarian
    Free Member

Lance is in the shit up to his ears and he knows it.

wrecker
    Free Member

If I were him I’d just tell USADA (very pubicly) to go and **** themselves. He’s got the money and had the glory. **** ’em.

brakes
    Free Member

then what? he can’t just wash his hands of it.

wrecker
    Free Member

Why not? What does he need from them?
    I’d hazard a guess that he’s a very wealthy man. I wouldn’t waste another penny on the legal team nor another thought for USADA. Move somewhere nice and enjoy what’s left. Bye bye USA (and USA taxes).

Junkyard
    Free Member

because his legacy means nothing to him 😕

His colossal ego wont let him do that- Livestrong is just an extension of that

bigdawg
    Free Member

If he just tries to walk away he’ll be banned from competing – pretty much everywhere, including the triathlons he was doing to try and race in Hawaii…

wrecker
    Free Member

Fair point Junky.
    Personally I’d enthusiastically swap any legacy/reputation for happiness in paradise. Couldn’t give a flyer what peoples opinions were.
    I suppose it’s not exactly a surprise that Lance is somewhat different to me/us.

Junkyard
    Free Member

tbh I think he has built up this persona as being the awesome cancer survivor who was unbeatable on a bike and he did it without cheating.
    I think very few people with knowledge of cycling believes that but it is what defines him to everyone else.

he would go from coveted ubber celeb with life affirming story to just another drug cheat who won by cheating.
    I dont think he will actually accept any decision that says he was guilty or ever admit it even if found guilty.

My opinion : He is still an awesome achievement but no way was he beating drug cheats and having them within his team without being one himself …I think they all were at the time tbh and it is what he had to do to win. if one thing defines LA it is his desire to win at all costs

wrecker
    Free Member

if one thing defines LA it is his desire to win at all costs

Well I suppose it worked for him.
    We all pretty much think he cheated so none of this is really going to change our opinions of him is it?
    I’d rather see the money spent dragging him through the courts/whatever spent on something more positive(!).

yossarian
    Free Member

I’d rather see the money spent dragging him through the courts/whatever spent on something more positive(!).

Given that Armstrong used public money to do some of it I doubt that’s going to happen.

I hope he gets exposed for what he is

warton
    Free Member

If / when he is found guilty he won’t be able to move somewhere nice and forget about it, as a lot of companies, government agencies etc etc will be after their money back.

If he is found guilty I can see him spending the rest of his life in court fighting various lawsuits…

footflaps

Whole thing seems very political, whether you think he took drugs or not.

“There are troubling aspects of this case,” maintained Judge Sparks, “not least of which is USADA’s apparent single-minded determination to force Armstrong to arbitrate the charges against him, in direct conflict with UCI’s equally evident desire not to proceed against him.”

wrecker
    Free Member

So….as we know that pretty much everyone in the TDF in that era was cheating, is there going to be a period of time where there were no winners? No TDF? Should the results just be scrubbed from the record?

If he is found guilty I can see him spending the rest of his life in court fighting various lawsuits…

Sod that. I’d just ask some ropey government for asylum in their nice country. Plenty about.

loum
    Free Member

Move somewhere nice and enjoy what’s left. Bye bye USA (and USA taxes).

Watch the extradition orders and trumped up rape accusations roll in. 😉

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

UCI looking increasingly compromised in this matter

slackalice
    Free Member

There could well be a case to answer the alleged fraudulent use of public money, however… It does also smack of vendetta’s both personal and organisational.

I hope he gets exposed for what he is

An interesting comment which I take to mean you don’t approve of his receipt of public money and how/where it was used?

He still beat all the other dopers (seven times – consecutively), so a relatively level playing field.

I would like to read his autobiog’s at some stage, does he talk of ‘marginal gains’ anywhere?

jimster
    Free Member

If I read that right – The Judge has said he has to face his accusers in court, where they will wheel out all his druggie team mates (sore losers, who were caught) and they’ll fling the mud hoping it’ll stick with no evidence / failed drug tests, unless the USADA have tests that the UCI, TdF didn’t release?

What if he proves he didn’t take drugs, the Dunking Stool to prove he isn’t a witch? 😕

wrecker
    Free Member

Surely you want all of the cyclists of the era to also be exposed for what they are?
    I mean, this isn’t personal right?

warton
    Free Member

UCI looking increasingly compromised in this matter

McQuaid and Verbruggen are crooks, plain and simple. Until they have no involvement in the sport it won’t get any better.

yossarian
    Free Member

So….as we know that pretty much everyone in the TDF in that era was cheating, is there going to be a period of time where there were no winners? No TDF? Should the results just be scrubbed from the record?

Not a bad idea you know.

warton
    Free Member

where they will wheel out all his druggie team mates (sore losers, who were caught)

oh dear, do a bit of research will you. Hincapie, Leipheimer, Vaughters. Sore losers? were they ever caught?

mt
    Free Member

Though my Lance bubble was burst some time ago it does seem to be a sort of get him at any costs process now. He should be sanctioned in some way but I can’t help thinking that there is now a bit of the ducking stool going on and thats just the witnesses. That Jonathon Vaughters chappy has really gone down in my estimation. They should all be punished in the same way if they were in it together. Wonder what the job prospects are for the guy(s) that got Lance. The US seems to have a history of politically (with a small p) motivated prosecutions that undermines there justice system. For the Lance haters not saying he should not held accountable, just suggesting the ends do not justify the means.

wrecker
    Free Member

were they ever caught?

Was Lance?

loum
    Free Member

What if he proves he didn’t

You expect him to prove a negative?
    Is a failed drugs test the only acceptable proof of doping to you?
    What about Marion Jones?

suthy
    Free Member

Surely drug tests most days of his cycling life are proof enough? What’s the point otherwise?

yossarian
    Free Member

Surely you want all of the cyclists of the era to also be exposed for what they are?

Most of them have been. No, it’s not personal. I’m ambivalent about him.

crazy-legs

Exactly – what does it solve? Nothing. Where do you end up cos with most years of the TdF, you’d need to go way down the list before you found someone who hadn’t doped (or at least, someone who had no proven connection to doping).

Pointless vendetta by an agency desperate to prove it’s worth. Let it go, it’s not doing cycling, USADA, the UCI or Lance any favours to keep it going. The actual question of “did he cheat by using performance enhancing drugs?” has long ago been lost.

It’s just a mess of claim, counter claim, allegation and rumour and I doubt anyone (except probably Lance) knows or ever will know the full truth behind any of it.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Say all of his results were removed from the history of the sport. How would the results sheets look then?

Wiggins would have a 3rd place to go with his 1st place.

Taking it to the logical conclusion and remove all of the results of all of the people who have had drugs related bans and what are we left with?

Would Wiggins have been 1st or 2nd in that earlier TdF?

Steve77
    Free Member

Expect this has been posted before but he raced in an era when virtually everyone was dirty. Even if he was doping he was still a great rider. I think he probably did but would prefer all the effort prosecuting him was put into stopping future doping instead

Bigger

wrecker
    Free Member

So we think Wiggins has never taken drugs?
    Is there evidence of any of the people he’s beaten having taken drugs?
    That argument is one used against Lance (^^up there)

jota180
    Free Member

The USADA have no interest in other [non US] TDF competitors or what will happen if he’s retrospectively excluded from any results
    If they manage to convict Armstrong of doping whilst on Uncle Sam’s payroll, he’ll be doing jail time

The US has always used plea bargaining as a matter of course in order to convict all and severely punish those that won’t roll over. It often not advisable to plead not guilty [even if you are] given the severity of sentencing.

slackalice
    Free Member

My knowledge, both current and historical, of the organisations involved is next to **** all, however I just wonder if this has more to do with people within USADA, the UCI and US Cycling really not liking each other, or certainly trying to right a wrong they feel they may have been dealt by another and Lance is a mere scapegoat.

mt
    Free Member

“yossarian – Member

Most of them have been. No, it’s not personal. I’m ambivalent about him.”

I would suggest that you’ll find that most of them have not been exposed, even domestic’s were at it. Lots of noise in the press and very few people actually sanctioned from the Lance era. Indurain worked with Ferrari, no sanctions there. There are suspected to be many more who understood what was required for a level playing field, shame of it in a sport I love.

What is interesting is the blood doping thing and how far it goes back, even that there are rumours of family generational involvement. Then I supose it’s just a reflection of society, some people(s) will do anything to win.

igm

Steve – need to update F.Schlek

Edukator
    Free Member

Lance did test positive for cortisone in 99 but the UCI acccepted a backdated medical certificate against its own rules. Lance has lied about not testing positive ever since. The UCI also accepted a backdated medical certificate against its own rules when Brochard won the world champs and tested positive. Indurain too. The UCI has a history of conspiring with teams and riders to cover up positive tests that would be bad for the sport’s image.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Surely drug tests most days of his cycling life are proof enough?

Except for the fact that the drugs he is alleged to take had no drug test at the time and subsequent tests [ which can test for EPO] suggests he was positive. He has refused to let stored samples be tested for the drugs for some reason.

As for witch hunt – there is too some degree but it because he is seen as the most high profile one who got away and the vast amounts of circumstantial and other evidence to implicate him.

wrecker
    Free Member

bad for the sport’s image.

😀
    Yeah, a few more drugs cheats would totally ruin that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 2,190 total)

The topic ‘Lance, latest have we done it yet.’ is closed to new replies.