Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 1,053 total)
  • Labour Party problems
  • RustySpanner

Hatton’s back, so I’m out.

He’s a horrible bloke. I don’t want to be a member of a party he’s involved in.

scotroutes

Ah – that’s better…

piha
    Free Member

FFS… the return of Hatton…!!!

This just gets worse and worse.

johnx2
    Free Member

…and now gorgeous George G wants to rejoin. Hey **** ho.

fwiw I’m not happy with the 7 leaving, or the manner of it – danger of antisemitism etc diluting engagement in this moment of national crisis. I just think it shows the level of frustration. We’re heading over the cliff steered by ERG. MPs need some leadership to stop this – which they mainly want to do. Nothing else matters a fraction.

BillMC

slowoldman

I couldn’t do any better than link to this

slowoldman

“Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right…”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MSP

Is this a bandwagon that needs jumping on, why yes, yes it is.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

what a time to let these two jokers back in !

handybar
    Free Member

Very dark and depressing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m sure the timing was a coincidence.

Right?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is there an eighth*?

(*not a drugs reference)

scotroutes

There is now!

scotroutes

Isn’t Independent Group an oxymoron?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Crikey, only just been announced and the machine has been cranked up to the max already on #JC4PM #GTTO twitter.

kelvin

The response on twitter to MP #8 might have changed my mind on one aspect of all this. If it is only “a tiny minority” of JC supporters who are antisemitic, as I was still thinking even as I read what was happening to some Labour MPs at their hands, they are now very very good at spreading their bile on social media. Very troubling. Or just well organised noise?

ransos
    Free Member

Well, I think MPs who resign from their party should be required to seek re-election.

kelvin

They are. Oh, you mean immediately.

ransos
    Free Member

They are. Oh, you mean immediately.

Obviously.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, if we can’t get a general election, then the next option* is by-elections.

*All options “on the table”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@DD it’s amazing how polarising the Israel/Palestine conflict is given how little most people care about foreigners being killed all over the world.

dazh

I’ll say one thing for this split, it’s really highlighting how some MPs can stay completely under the radar.for decades whilst collecting a hefty salary. I’m a fairly close follower of politics and before this week had never heard of Joan Ryan, Angela Smith, Mike Gapes or Gavin Shuker.

kelvin

Hmm… “fairly close”, huh – there are hundreds of MPs – don’t feel bad about your ignorance about a few of them. Most people only hear from front benchers and the most media savvy of stirrers – you are not alone.

Northwind

dazh

I’m a fairly close follower of politics and before this week had never heard of Joan Ryan, Angela Smith, Mike Gapes or Gavin Shuker.

I’d heard of Angela Smith- she lost a vote of no confidence last year, partly over her support for fracking and support for privatisation, partly because of her constant criticism of the leadership, and declared that it was all just a cabal of hard left conspirators and ignored it. She was strongly defended by… oh yeah, Chris Leslie and Chukka Umanna. So I’m glad she’s come out so strongly about listening to members.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

to be fair dazh, there are 262 of the , or is it 25@, or 248 or Jeez, I dunno, it just keeps going down. It’s hard to keep track. Anyway, centrist scumbag splitters the lot of them!

What do we want?
    A GENERAL ELECTION!
    When do we want it?
    NOW!
    What do we want?
    BY-ELECTIONS!
    When do we want them?
    DOWSNT MATTER AS LONG AS WE CAN KEP ALL OPTIONS ON THE TABLE!

kelvin

I’d heard of Angela Smith- she lost a vote of no confidence last year…

She also tried to deliver a petition to Labour HQ recently for a referendum, and was turned away as a security risk.

There is no doubt that the MPs leaving have all been pushed to leave… it’s not some selfless act… it is the act of people facing almost certain deselection. Much more of this to come from both of the main parties now… no one will jump without being pushed… but there is a lot of pushing going on.

Of course, when they are pushed out, the cries of “traitors” ring out… no, you told them to “go and join the Tories”, or called them “saboteurs”… eventually they’ll listen, and leave, as a last desperate resort.

Northwind

kelvin

She also tried to deliver a petition to Labour HQ recently for a referendum, and was turned away as a security risk.

Nah. She was turned away as they don’t accept petitions in person at all, due to security concerns, not because she was seen as a security risk.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Please tell me Diane was one!

kerley
    Free Member

Well, I think MPs who resign from their party should be required to seek re-election.

Yep, they are resigning as an MP and resigning from the party they stood for as an MP.
    From the minute they resign they should be the standing Labour MP for x days until their resignation is over or by election held

Could they have just said they were changing to Tory and Tories got an extra seat?

DrJ

Joan Ryan – pillar of decency

ransos
    Free Member

Could they have just said they were changing to Tory and Tories got an extra seat?

I think so, yes.

BillMC

I’m still waiting to see evidence of all this abuse and discrimination and whether it’s worse than that received by others in the public eye. If the LP was institutionally racist then how come there are so many LP and so few Tory MPs from minority backgrounds? Even so, 85% of the jewish vote goes to the Tories (source: YouGov). I’ve have never seen Tories out campaigning against racism. We need a bit more evidence and a bit less harrumph.

piha
    Free Member

Ransos – Labour appeared quite happy for Quentin Davies to cross the floor from the tories to join them without immediately standing in a by-election.

kerley
    Free Member

I think so, yes.

Wow, I really didn’t realise that. So in theory I could stand as a Tory in a Tory safe seat and then switch to Labour the week after I was elected? That is just clearly wrong.

kerley
    Free Member

“Labour Friends of Israel chair Joan Ryan MP” is all you really need to know about her motives and her claims regarding antisemitism.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kerley, The Absolute Boy* explains it here,

*The value of nicknames can go up as well as down. Your party is at risk if you do not have competent leadership etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 1,053 total)

The topic ‘Labour Party problems’ is closed to new replies.