Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 186 total)
  • Kielder 100 roll call (12 days…)
  • Bernaard
    Free Member

Will be there on the Tinbred. Was gonna run 2.35 Kenda SB8s but having second thoughts now
    Have been training for this on the SS and doing 70+ miles ok, but that is on Warwickshire hills not Northumberland hills.
    Have not done a lot since the Exmoor explorer due yo a dose of the f#ck ems
    Also have been fretting about not making the cut off points but now Am of the mind set that if I do I do. But if I don’t I don’t

njee20
    Free Member

Finished DFL in 2009

Has DFL actually ever been used away from this event? I’ve only ever heard it in reference to your result. Why not just say ‘last’? Is it a sort of ego boost to make it sound cooler? 😕

thomthumb
    Free Member

Is it a sort of ego boost to make it sound cooler?

grumpy this morning? 😉

GEDA
    Free Member

Just did a 80 mile training ride around the Cheviots at the weekend. Through bog and mega steep climbs so I was hoping for every hill I could remind myself it is not as steep as the ones we did last week and the bog is not as boggy as the bog we rode through.

If I cut out pie stops and don’t have to wait an hour for my wife to come and deliver a new tyre after the old one got a prolapse (On top of the border ridge which meant a ride back to Alwinton and back again) then that should speed up the time a bit.

Round Cheviot tour

I have a small block 8 on the back but have something with a bit more traction on the front for cornering.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I’m in (with 9 others), 2nd year. Bike bust after 60 miles last time, must do better this time. Oops, forgot to train this year as well… 😯

Camelbak all the way for me, plus the bike only has 1 bottle mount..

I’m hoping its dry again like last year to use my Racing Ralphs, if not it will be a good old slog…

daveb
    Free Member

I am coming along. Currently injured but they wouldnt refund my entry fee so will come along and see how far I can get. Finished it last year and had hoped to take about an hour off my time but would just be happy to finish it right now.

miketually
    Free Member

Has DFL actually ever been used away from this event? I’ve only ever heard it in reference to your result. Why not just say ‘last’? Is it a sort of ego boost to make it sound cooler?

I’ve seen it used lots, as has Google.

Last year I got a prize for being NFL, if that makes you feel better?

oldnpastit

I’m in. Still wavering between gears and single-speed. Gears to go faster, but obviously SS for the glory and the sheer animal sexual magnetism.

Training has been a bit rubbish this year due to excessive amounts of work, hopefully the 4 mile commute to work will save the day…

EDIT: I’m writing this at 2am stuck in a hotel in flipping Vancouver, with zero chance of getting out on a bike until I get back home.

njee20
    Free Member

grumpy this morning?

Haha! Yes sorry, it was a bit harsh, I was more interested than anything, no offence intended!

stever
    Free Member

That Mike’s not the only DFL you know, he should stop going on about it. I wouldn’t say it’s in common use, but deserves to be. It kinda alludes to DNF but carries more hero points in my book.

njee20
    Free Member

Well that’s what I was meaning, it’s basically a way of making ‘last’ cool.

miketually
    Free Member

Last year’s DFL deserves more cool-points, as she was out for longer and on a harder route.

squiff
    Free Member

No riding for me at the moment, on holiday in St Ives Cornwall, so my trainings goin very well

stever
    Free Member

DFLs have often suffered more than the mid-packers, been nudged along by the sweeper for hours and not given up. I’ve done fell races where last has been someone well into old age and slow as buggery, but still love the hills. Or someone brand new to the sport and stepping out into the unknown. They usually get a good cheer.

hughjardon
    Free Member

Im entered, but have less chance of finishing than seeing no midges!

Up til 3 weeks ago training was going well, went out on 3rd Aug and did 81 miles in 7hr 40min (including a lunch stop) not very hilly 1500m and a bit of road included.

Then went out on 6th Aug for what ended up being a very steady 70 miles all day ride, felt good though.

Had an easy week then went out for our usual Saturday mbr and struggled even to pedal, ended up cutting it short (30 miles) with a major dog on, had the grumps ever since, barely touched a bike, eaten poorly ever since (put on half a stone) and now not even sure if i should bother going.

Also unsure about camelback/bottles, tubeless or not (only recently changed and my mate has ripped a tyre on his last two rides!)

steviep
    Free Member

I rode with a camelbak last year and drunk 6 litres of energy drink plus 2 litres of water from a bottle. As for tubeless I ripped a tubeless tyre on one of the fastest parts of the course and had to fit a tube while stood in a ditch being bitten alive by midges. I had 5 punctures on the day,mainly due to the tear in my tyre, went over the bars at 30mph but still managed to finish. I still use tubeless but make sure you take plenty of spare tubes just in case.
    Just enjoy the day and remember its not a 100 mile race its a 104 mile race!

boxelder

had the grumps ever since, barely touched a bike, eaten poorly ever since (put on half a stone) and now not even sure if i should bother going.

I’ll start 🙄

Belt up you fairy – everyone has off days. 😡
    Now MTFU 😛

uplink
    Free Member

Up til 3 weeks ago training was going well, went out on 3rd Aug and did 81 miles in 7hr 40min (including a lunch stop) not very hilly 1500m and a bit of road included

You’re not going to lose that much fitness in 3 weeks, now get back on the bike

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ll be there.
    One short race this year wont hurt.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m in.

bottles, tyres. yep. 😀

austenb
    Free Member

I’ll be there. First time for me. Camelbak as well as no bottle bosses on my bike. Fairly confident of finishing although never ridden 100 miles before, not even on the road bike.

ChrisHeath

I’m registered, but I’m still weighing up whether to ride or not. Been really slack with riding this year. Can’t remember the last time I rode for more than 3 hours.

Doesn’t bode well…

jimmers
    Free Member

Looking forward to Kielder.

Cracked the SDW at the weekend for the final push of training. First time I’ve done in it solo in a day (though ridden in a group in a day). Fuelled by a experimental home made flapjacks incorporating scientifically random ingredients.

thomthumb
    Free Member

can anyone whose done it before give us a steer on drop bags.

eg. what did you put in them vs. what did you carry.

if you don’t collect them do you get them back at the end?

Drac

The drop bags you leave the night before, there’s huge dumpy bags to put them in.

What to put in them? Well most out in energy bars, sarnies, fruit and a few spares but a rider will give you a better idea.

On the Sunday morning we spread the bags out on the lawn, if you can find your bag you collect it.

I’m just finalising getting the Friday off, looks like I’m working in the morning though, then and I’ll be there.

uplink
    Free Member

My drop bags will have just gels in them apart from number 2, which will also have a tube in it – if I’ve used my spare on the bike, I’ll pick it up otherwise I’ll leave it.
    Everything else you need is available at the food stops

miketually
    Free Member

I used A4 plastic wallets for my bags. After putting the stuff in, I folded then over to A5 size and taped them up. You can do all this at home, so they’re ready.

My top tip would be to stick some address labels onto the bags. Take a marker pen along to sign in, so you can write your number on the address label once you know it.

Like uplink, I’ll be putting gels and maybe a tube into my bags. And jelly sweets, maybe some malt loaf. I might also put some sachets of drink powder in, so I can refill my bottles with water from the water/food stops and use my own energy drink.

GEDA
    Free Member

What is the best strategy for starting off? I usually go quite hard to start with and then calm down after the first 10 miles on rides of about 50/60 miles. How is it for over talking? Are there plenty of opportunities for overtaking?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

How is it for over talking? Are there plenty of opportunities for overtaking?

I set off mid pack last year and it felt like a peloton for the first 10 miles, there were times when I thought I would never be on my own then suddenly it spread out.

There were some bottle necks when it hit the first bit of singletrack and as a single speeder it was annoying as all the geared riders dropped down to their granny rings, jammed there chains and caused me to lose all momentum.

Take a copy of miketuallys timing spreadsheet and ride your own race, don’t get frustrated in the first hour as you’ll still have 90 miles to to do your overtaking.

senorj

re the drop bags, do what Mike said. Enough gels/bars to keep you going ’til the next one.
    I had savoury snacks in mine too – but couldn’t eat the last one due to too many gel O/D.
    I also had a couple of painkillers in each one as well as electrolite tablets.

usually go quite hard to start with and then calm down

😯
    The start is a busy one , but there are loads of places to pass.

uplink
    Free Member

I found the lead out far too fast for me, I need a lot of warming up usually

Over-taking? There were plenty coming past me 🙂
    There were a lot of people on the lead out that were trying to force their way though to the front when there wasn’t a lot of room, at least 2 of them ended up trying to ride in the ditch after trying to move my bulk sideways into a gap that wasn’t there 🙂

Drac

And confirmed that someone is going to come in and finish my shift for me, so see you there.

postierich
    Free Member

Struggling with a wierd left leg going dead on me as though circulatuion is being cut off calf muscle feel as though they are going to explode!!! even happens when I am walking up hill so no saddle height/fit issues had it for 2 months now and its pissing me off!!
    Geared this year and will be just making the numbers up see you in the bar before and after!!
    Oh bottles and flap jack with lots of pain killers!!!!

Rich

Nezbo
    Free Member

I couple of weeks ago I started with lower back pain, and been to the doc’s and he has referred me, but still not heard anything. But now I am trying to get myself right for the Kielder, I think I am going to turn up and try it anyway, but currently struggling to walk and it doesn’t hurt too much on the bike (I guess because my arms are supporting my upper body and taking the weight from the lower back).

Fingers Crossed!!!

So keep an eye out for me walking like a very old man 🙁

ejls2
    Free Member

I’ll be there. First ride on the MTB in a year and first race of any sort since minor heart surgery earlier this year so i’ll be in the “just getting round” group 🙂

Still faffing over tyre choice and gearing but that’s half of the fun of it!

Give me a shout if you see me on the day. I’ll be in very bright orange and blue London Dynamo kit with lots of pink bits so should be hard to miss!

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Mike, your should start a new branded product ‘pacelets’ 🙂 I used one last year and lost count of the number of people asking me how far it was to the next stop. Did about 10hr 30 last year trying to take it steady until the last 8 miles or so when I was able to give it the beans until the finish line.

Bag drops- everyone will have their own top tips (secrets) but one freebie is to put a spare pair of gloves in one half way round.

I’ve got a few 100ml plastic containers to put energy powder in as I like my own brand.

Was up at kielder last night and went up to the boardwalk for some shots to help with press and fundraising, the switchbacks up to there are still cut up but generally despite the rain I thought the trails werent too wet. Did a lap of the lakeside way in 1hr50 to get the heart rate up, think it might take me a bit longer to run round on the day though…

Pics: http://killerkielder.posterous.com/pages/gallery

Preview on: http://www.xcracer.com/Montane-Kielder-100-2011-Preview.html

JimSu
    Free Member

Sorry if this sounds banal but I dont know the area.

If it stays wet will tyre choice be important or is it mostly hard pack?

I would prefer to stay with a low treaded tyre if possible.

Thanks

uplink
    Free Member

You’ll be fine IMO – I’ll be on Conti Race Kings

Thaere hasn’t been that much rain recently

stooo
    Free Member

I’m in – just got my entry sorted at last minute, due to someone not being able to make it.

Struggling to decide between my SC Superlight and my on-one Alfine geared 29er. Currently favouring the 29er, with a change of rear sprocket to a 22T.

29er has Bonty Mud tyres on it, which are quick enough but will cope with the sloppy bits too.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i haven’t ridden up there or a few years but i will be on racing ralphs whatever happens…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100 roll call (12 days…)’ is closed to new replies.