Kielder 100 roll call (12 days…)

Home Forum Bike Forum Kielder 100 roll call (12 days…)

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 186 total)
  • Kielder 100 roll call (12 days…)
  • I’ll be there; still can’t make my mind up between bottles and camelbak though, you single speeding again?

bottles without a doubt

you have 4 stations to fill up don’t forget. I wouldn’t want a sweaty camelback on for 100 miles (or 102)

uplink

I’ll be there again to see if I can do it this time, won’t be trying ever again though whatever the outcome

šŸ™‚

I forget to drink with bottles but a hose constantly slapping on my thigh keeps me prompted

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

Bottles, but with a backpack. My new frame only has one bottle mount and I won’t manage with one bottle, so one in the cage and one on my back.

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

I’ll be there again to see if I can do it this time, won’t be trying ever again though whatever the outcome

Does that mean that I can get there? šŸ™‚

uplink

I don’t have any usable bottle mounts so a pack for me

I also forget to drink so I now have one of those Camelbak meters that keep you informed of what you’ve drank

uplink

Does that mean that I can get there?

If I remember to come and get you

I still haven’t worked out a bike rack for my new [smaller] car so we may have to do a bit of creative packing

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber
    mrlugz

I’m there.

2nd attempt.

Missed first cut-off by 5 mins last year. Gutted.

This year I am very determined. Hoping to get to cp1 with an hour to go.

Camelbak for me. Always ride with one and don’t notice its there most of the time.

Premier Icon RichS
    Subscriber

1st atttempt, am getting quite nervous now.

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

I’m going to make/share ‘pace bracelet’ thingies again. Last year‘s are still online if you want to have a look.

At the moment, the numbers/times on the site haven’t changed, so last year’s is still right, but they changed with a week or so to go last year.

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

I still haven’t worked out a bike rack for my new [smaller] car so we may have to do a bit of creative packing

I’ll be travelling light šŸ™‚

uplink

I’m definitely going to avoid 4 pints of Guinness and the steak & ale pie with chips at the pub on Friday evening this year

Roo

I’ll be trying again this year, late for the 80 mile CP last year šŸ™

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

So, who from here’s going?

This’ll be my third year. Finished DFL in 2009 in 14 hours and almost exactly an hour faster this last year. Hoping to just survive this year, as work’s meant even less time on the bike than the previous two years.

Pyro

There, marshalling. Will wave at you all from behind my midge net.

Premier Icon PhilChap
    Subscriber

Third time for me, happy to finish a bit quicker than last year and in less pain.

I’m in with 2 other guys. Should be fun. I am using bike storage for most spares, but i am deffo using a camelback!! Screw losing my bottles.

fasthaggis

I will be there for the first time .
    last minute change of bike ,but still more bothered about the midge than anything else.
    I am sure it will all be fine šŸ˜‰

Premier Icon wool
    Subscriber

Hit me one more time here! agonising about tread more than bottles vs backpack.

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

agonising about tread more than bottles vs backpack.

I used some very worn Mountain Kin 2.1 in 2009 and didn’t die. 2.2″ 29er WTB Prowler SLs. 2.4″ Racing Ralphs this year.

stuartie_c

I fear I may be out šŸ™

Tendonitis in my left knee is not responding to rest and 10hrs+ on a mountain bike is not a prospect I can imagine right now.

Plan for 1000 miles this month hasn’t got beyond 400 which is pretty lame (bit like me, really).

Anyone looking for an entry?

Kielder midges ouch! Can you bike with midge nets? :p

Premier Icon ian martin
    Subscriber

I’m in. First time for me and I am expecting to finish.
    Although my knees have been a bit sore lately.

agonising about tread more than bottles vs backpack.

2.4 Ardent on front and 2.25 Ardent on the rear

wellhung

I’m in
    First time on a MTB for 2 years
    Still need to build my bike yet
    What’s this talk of Midges what do you use to repel them?
    I do know i using bottles

mrlugz

I use avon skin so soft as a midge repellent. Rode up there yesterday and not a single bite šŸ˜€

fasthaggis

Rode up there yesterday and not a single bite

Mrlugz,that is without doubt, the best thing I have read on here šŸ˜€

I’m going, 1st time and just hoping to get ahead of the cut-off’s. Been riding to work a lot (25 miles each way) and feeling pretty fit so fingers crossed! Wish I had a lighter bike though! I will be doing it on my old Spesh Hardrock, weighs a ton but it’s all I’ve got. 1 bottle and another one in the camelbak for me – nothing worse than getting deyhdrated so I’d rather be safe than sorry.

large418

I’m in. 1.5L camelback, Racing ralphs and bike stripped to it’s absolute lightest – did it last year in 10:17, so going to break the 10 hour mark this year (or die trying!)

Premier Icon funkynick
    Subscriber

I’ll be there.. fighting with Mike for that coverted last place spot…

Although there’s a distinct possibility that I might not have a bike to ride as I am still waiting on a waranty frame to come through… you’d have thought over 2 months would have been enough time! But it’s been promised for early next week so we’ll see… I’m not liking the prospect of doing it on the singlespeed if not!

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

“I love beer myself ā€” a day without a beer is wasted. I know a lot of sports nutrition researchers, and I want one of them to study the effects of beer consumption on exercise performance. Iā€™m convinced that a few beers ā€” not getting out of control ā€” enhance performance the following day. So I think, yeah, beer can go hand-in-glove with endurance lifestyle.”

http://www.cxmagazine.com/training-tuesdays-matt-fitzgerald-nutrition-extraordinaire

I’m tapering (red wine) for these last couple of weeks, but this is good to know for the Friday night.

Second time, missed first cut by 20 minutes last year, so this year that is the aim. I am fairly sure I am fitter (well, 21 minutes fitter) than last year, but have ridden my bike way less so…
    Oh, and I will actually be making the bike heavier, really, really need some new pads in the back, might do the front as well whilst I am at it. Seems worth the weight though šŸ™‚

ace_sparky

I’ll be there, riding a 2008 Giant Anthem, 2.1 Racing Ralph on the front & 2.0 Continental Race King supersonic on the back, hoping for a <9hr finish time šŸ˜• Completed my final long 85m xc ride on Sunday and I’m just starting the final week of HIIT before I start my taper. I’ll be using a lightweight camelbak with 600ml in it and a 600ml bottle on the bike. Drop bags, kit & bike pretty much sorted, might buy a light weight rain proof gilet yet though. šŸ™‚

samuri

I’ll not be there this year. Pity because I really enjoyed last year.

TAKE INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH MIDGE FORMULA!!!

First time this year and yes I’m a little nervous.

Anyone seen any long term forcasts?

uplink

Anyone seen any long term forcasts?

Too early to be of any use IMO

tonto

l’m trying again after failing last year.
    Felt really good until last Thursday, now seem to have no energy so am resting for a few days, then a couple of shortish rides.
    Camelback for me – so I can drink little and often.

Bernaard

Will be there on the Tinbred. Was gonna run 2.35 Kenda SB8s but having second thoughts now
    Have been training for this on the SS and doing 70+ miles ok, but that is on Warwickshire hills not Northumberland hills.
    Have not done a lot since the Exmoor explorer due yo a dose of the f#ck ems
    Also have been fretting about not making the cut off points but now Am of the mind set that if I do I do. But if I don’t I don’t

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Finished DFL in 2009

Has DFL actually ever been used away from this event? I’ve only ever heard it in reference to your result. Why not just say ‘last’? Is it a sort of ego boost to make it sound cooler? šŸ˜•

thomthumb

Is it a sort of ego boost to make it sound cooler?

grumpy this morning? šŸ˜‰

GEDA

Just did a 80 mile training ride around the Cheviots at the weekend. Through bog and mega steep climbs so I was hoping for every hill I could remind myself it is not as steep as the ones we did last week and the bog is not as boggy as the bog we rode through.

If I cut out pie stops and don’t have to wait an hour for my wife to come and deliver a new tyre after the old one got a prolapse (On top of the border ridge which meant a ride back to Alwinton and back again) then that should speed up the time a bit.

Round Cheviot tour

I have a small block 8 on the back but have something with a bit more traction on the front for cornering.

Whos_Daddy

I’m in (with 9 others), 2nd year. Bike bust after 60 miles last time, must do better this time. Oops, forgot to train this year as well… šŸ˜Æ

Camelbak all the way for me, plus the bike only has 1 bottle mount..

I’m hoping its dry again like last year to use my Racing Ralphs, if not it will be a good old slog…

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100 roll call (12 days…)’ is closed to new replies.