Viewing 26 posts - 161 through 186 (of 186 total)
  • Kielder 100 roll call (12 days…)
  • mattfen
    Free Member

I’m in again this year – broke 6 ribs at 44 miles last year so 5 ribs or 45 miles is the target for me.

wenanwhere
    Free Member
    GEDA
    Free Member

Maybe I am being stupid but what is the point of doing loads of food drops when there are loads of food stops? There are more than the PDS? Is there a cheese and beer stop as well?

Feed & Water Stations (tbc)
    •12 miles – Water station
    •21 miles – Feed Station 1: Accelerade energy drink, water, bananas, crisps, nuts, cakes, dried fruit etc
    •37/44 miles – Water station
    •48 miles – Feed Station 2: same as Feed 1
    •65ish miles – Newcastleton Feed: tea, coffee, hot soup, sandwiches, homemade cakes from The Olive Cafe, bananas and the usual snacks
    •80 miles – Feed Station 4: same as Feed 1

boxelder

Maybe I am being stupid but what is the point of doing loads of food drops when there are loads of food stops?

Some people want to know exactly what they’re going to get to eat. The drop bags aren’t compulsory, just on offer if wanted. Free choice – the holy grail of C21.

Drac

Is there a cheese and beer stop as well?

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me, maybe you can have some of mine.

That said I have wine stocks to get rid of not beer and may not actually have any cheese. But there is beer at the end for all, free too. Don’t forget your mug.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

wenanwhere – Member
    Couple of thoughts from me before the big day:

http://bikemagic.com/news/matt-jones-makes-final-killer-kielder-preparations.html

Hats off to you mate, that’s a hell of a day.

Best of luck with it and if i see you at the finish I’ll throw some money your way.

GEDA
    Free Member

I looked at the target times above but don’t you get slower as the day goes on? I would want to be/am faster at the start and then gradually get slower. Depends totally on the conditions and trails as well. 10 miles of bog fest is totally different to 10 miles of forest trails.

boxelder

and may not actually have any cheese

I’ll have some (by the 40 mile mark I will anyway……)

oldnpastit

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me, maybe you can have some of mine.

Have you recently escaped from a maximum security stockade?

Will you be in a somewhat corny looking disguise, smoking a cigar?

Will I get a reward from Colonel Decker if I turn you in?

Drac

Will you be in a somewhat corny looking disguise, smoking a cigar?

Shhhh!

miketually
    Free Member

Couple of thoughts from me before the big day:

http://bikemagic.com/news/matt-jones-makes-final-killer-kielder-preparations.html

The dates wrong at the bottom (I hope)?

miketually
    Free Member

I looked at the target times above but don’t you get slower as the day goes on? I would want to be/am faster at the start and then gradually get slower. Depends totally on the conditions and trails as well. 10 miles of bog fest is totally different to 10 miles of forest trails.

If they told us where the bog fests were, I’d have put them on. But they don’t 🙂

Pacelets are a guide. Your mileage may vary. Objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are.

I think they’re more useful for those of us just hoping to meet the cut offs, to be honest, and I used mine more as a way of knowing how far till the next water, rather than actually pacing myself.

Drac

Yup something mixed up there as the Montane is on the Saturday.

GEDA
    Free Member

Is there a map of the route yet?

miketually
    Free Member

Is there a map of the route yet?

There was no route map before the race last year or 2009, as far as I can remember.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Sorting out my drop bags now. God what a drama this nutrition business is!!!

senorj

re food stops – i used them to supplement my drop bags .Grab some tasty flapjack + ‘nana and then filled my pockets with gels and nutty bars.
    the newcastleton feed stop last year was utter temptation – temptation to stop and have a three course meal with coke and coffee – there was loads of tucker.

By time I got to the last food stop I couldn’t eat – liquids only.

re -pacelets –

I used mine more as a way of knowing how far till the next water, rather than actually pacing myself.

++1.if you have enough water no need to stop at certain water stations.

GEDA
    Free Member

We did a tour of the Cheviots two weeks ago. I ate to many pies in Wooler and getting back up Wooler common was a bit tough. It must be better to stop a little bit for us mere motals?

Smiker
    Free Member

The feed stops and drop bag mix is intelligent. More is better in this regard. Unlike a lot of European Marathons, you’re not near anyone to really help you out at the Kielder 100. Having food in your pockets helps! And yes, the Newcastleton feed is amazing.

I’ll rely on pockets until about halfway, and then drops and food stops from there.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

monkeychild – Member
    Sorting out my drop bags now. God what a drama this nutrition business is!!!

Someones keen to get started lol.

funkynick

Well, it looks like I’m going to have to drop out of the race for last place… I’ve woken up today feeling b*****y terrible, all fluey and stuff, and seeing as I have my PhD Viva on Monday I think I am, for once, going to do the sensible thing and not try and kill myself on a 100 mile bike ride!

Good luck everyone…

PS. Anyone want an entry?

gothandy

This is my first year. Just sat at home waiting for bike shop to call, after dropping off for a quick once over to check brakes etc. I returned to pick it up last night to find the rear shock in pieces! A new bushing is on order and should be there by 11. I’m down near Bath so 6 hour drive after that. Fingers crossed!

I’m hoping to do a sub 10 hour, anyone else doing the same fancy doing it in a pack? I’ll be using the Garmin to measure the pace. I reckon keep average speed at around 11mph with 45 minutes of stopping, faffing, eating.

It’s a plan anyway 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Bad luck Nick. Next year…

fasthaggis

Last minute packing and faffing ( in the sunshine). 🙄
    Have a good one folks.

jonba
    Free Member

I’d be up for a sub 10hour group.

miketually
    Free Member

Don’t look at the weather forecast…

Viewing 26 posts - 161 through 186 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100 roll call (12 days…)’ is closed to new replies.