Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • What tools, bits & bobs do you take on your ride?
  • ElShalimo

Been thinking about what I bring with me on a big ride. I take spare tube, patches, pump, a mini-tool, tyre levers and some mini zip-ties.
    What else do I need on big day out e.g. Bowderdale Round?
    What do you guys carry?
    My stuff is stored in a functional yet elegant Asda bag. Does anyone use a special bag/case for their kit/tools?

RealMan
    Free Member

momo

Have a multi tool, pump and spare tube in the camelbak, think there’s a couple of tyre levers floating around in there too. Normally keep a bit of gaffa tape wrapped around the pump.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tube, multi-tool, first aid kit, phone, zip ties, spare tube, patches, spare brake pads, spare spokes blu tacked inside handlebars, spare chain links in various sizes, at least one extra layer of waterproof clothing.

Check bike is going to last the distance before setting off.

Andituk
    Free Member

I’ve got a bad feeling about this thread…

Tools and spares wise:
    Multitool, Chain Tool, Mini Pump, Levers, Patch Kit, KMC Missing Links, Levers, Cable Ties, Spare Tube, Brake Pads.

I’ve actually got a photo of all my stuff laid out nicely and annotated on Flickr but I’ll be opening myself up to all sorts of abuse if I post that 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Depends how far Im going, if its a big day out i.e. a full loop of glentress black where it gets pretty remote then I take the following:

innertubes x 3
    pump
    multitool
    tire levers
    patches
    split links x 2
    brake pads x 2
    spare clothes
    foil blanket
    jacket
    ration pack
    stove
    kettle
    compass
    o.s. map
    phone with gps

foxwelljsly
    Free Member

The same – I also take a gold-link for my chain. In carrier bags shoved in the side pockets of my Camelbak. I have toyed with carrying a folding XC tyre – but haven’t succumbed to this yet.

I take the same when road cycling, but use a little saddle pack on those occasions. Whilst I would never want a saddle pak and water bottles jumping around on my MTB, it’s great riding without the encumberance of a backpack.

Spin
    Free Member

“if its a big day out i.e. a full loop of glentress black where it gets pretty remote then I take the following:”

Just for a minute I thought you were serious until I got to ration pack!

njee20
    Free Member

Depends how far Im going, if its a big day out i.e. a full loop of glentress black where it gets pretty remote then I take the following

Really? For a trail centre? I can understand if you’re heading into the wilds miles from civilisation, but not a trail centre! It’s not that long, it’s 20 miles FFS! A stove? Kettle? Are you serious!? 3 tubes!?

I carry: CO2 pump, a tube if I see one as I’m walking out the door, a small multi tool, phone, £10.

If I’m going for a really long ride away from civilisation and the weather looks iffy I may take a gilet!

Spare spokes? Why bother, a broken spoke is never going to be completely terminal, and if it is, sticking a couple of new spokes in probably won’t solve it. Do you also carry cassette tools!?

Brake pads? Do people really honestly stop at the side of the trail in the sort of wet, cold, filthy conditions that would destroy pads and replace them!?

I can understand first aid kits and what not, but not a whole bikes worth of spares! A rear mech and hanger makes more sense than spokes IMO!

Tiger6791

For the Welsh Ride Thing (3 days)

1 x tube
    Glueless Patches
    Micro Pump
    Mutlitool
    3 x power links
    Zip ties
    Tyre boot
    About 1m of Gaffer tape rolled round a plastic straw

What else do you need?

Not including all the other stuff for sleeping, cooking etc.

Mounty_73

Local; 2 litre camelbak

Pump
    Tube
    Mulitool
    Repair kit/tyre boot
    Spare chain link
    A few zipties

Longer rides;

Small waterproof jacket
    An extra tube.
    Snacks.

As light as possible at all times, cant be ar$ed with carrying too much gear…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Road ride – co2, tyre levers, tube, multi tool

MTB ride – 1 tube, tyre boot (Piece of milk carton), tubelss repair strings and poking tool, multi tool, pump, pliers, zip ties, powerlinks, bit of chain, bit of wire, tape, few bolts

Andituk
    Free Member

Brake pads? Do people really honestly stop at the side of the trail in the sort of wet, cold, filthy conditions that would destroy pads and replace them!?

Why not? They’re tiny and they clip in and out in about 30 seconds. Better than riding the rest of the way with no brake surely?

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

puncture kit, bit of a chain, crap chain tool/crap spoke key combo, basic multitool, pump, levers, tunnocks caramel wafers

njee20
    Free Member

Why not? They’re tiny and they clip in and out in about 30 seconds. Better than riding the rest of the way with no brake surely?

Fair enough, I’ve just never had pads get that worn out! I did once wear through the backing of some pads and was using the piston to stop, was still stopping, wouldn’t have wanted to faff at the trail side changing pads personally! Each to their own.

RealMan
    Free Member

davidtaylforth 😆

hilldodger
    Free Member

pump, multitool, chain tool, couple of powerlinks, spare tube, park patches, few zip ties.
    Multi day rides would add a set of pads and another tube.
    All fits in a saddle pack (Topeak aero thingy)

abennell
    Free Member

for a local ride i take
    Multi-tool
    Spare tube / repair kit
    pump
    oil
    water
    chocolate
    phone
    £10

R.lepecha

Multi tool, 1 tube, tyre levers, puncture repair kit , small pair of pliers, phone.

First aid kit and Food if I take the Camelback.

Never bothered taking chain splitters or links out on a ride, never snapped a chain on a ride though…

When I go to the Lakes next year I’ll probably take maps, chain splitter, cables and pads on the rides as its a much longer distance to travel with a snapped chain etc whereas at Dalby and Gisburn your never huge distances from the car/accommodation.

seosamh77
    Free Member

this is always in my bag regardless.. I’ll add other things as required.

pump
    spare tube
    spare gear cable(never had to use it, but i’d rather it there just in case.)
    repair kit
    allen keys
    2 metal dinner knives, better than tyre levers imo.
    derailleur hanger
    chain tool
    wee shifting spanner(no idea why, might come in useful at some point)
    screw driver(wouldn’t be the first time i’ve fixed somebodies wonky shifting for them.)

binners

rocketman
    Free Member

Local;
    2 litre camelbak
    Pump
    Tube
    Mulitool
    Repair kit/tyre boot
    Spare chain link
    A few zipties

Longer rides;
    Small waterproof jacket
    An extra tube.
    Snacks.

As light as possible at all times, cant be ar$ed with carrying too much gear^^ this

The bike is always in fabulous condition and will never fail mid-ride…

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I take an Uzi 9mm.

andyl
    Free Member

Hexus II (although someone borrowed it and lost the chain tool tyre lever the other week 🙁 )
    Inner tube
    Puncture kit
    Pump
    Power link + a bit of spare chain
    Gravy bones (for the dog)
    Water (for me and the dog)

Phone if I remember it.

Make sure you can undo your power links – regular use keeps them free.

If I have driven to the trail I leave a bit more stuff in there so at least the day isn’t ruined and I just need to get back to the car and head off again.

_tom_
    Free Member

Local, nothing. Maybe a bottle of water if it’s going to be hot. If I’m driving somewhere to ride then I’ll take my bag with multi tool, spare tubes, pump, patches etc as I’d be pissed off if I had to cut my ride short and didn’t have the right stuff to fix it. Locally I can just walk home and it doesn’t bother me.

njee20
    Free Member

Hexus II (although someone borrowed it and lost the chain tool tyre lever the other week

Funny you should say that – I have 3 Hexus IIs, all of which have lost the chain tool tyre lever – I still carry it, would just need to find someone else with a 4mm allen key in the event of a broken chain! Makes me feel like I’ve got a chain tool at least!

philconsequence
    Free Member

storing stuff in the handlebars….. GENIUS!!!!

i must play with this idea :mrgreen:

D0NK

Quite a lot, commute is tube pump multitool patches, but proper rides is
    2 tubes
    puncture repair kit
    UST “plug” kit
    chain tool
    chain links
    powerlink
    pump
    tyre levers
    multitool with spare gear hanger
    proper gear hanger for my long distance bike
    brake pads (tho possibly not the correct ones for the bike I’m on)
    zip ties
    caffeine power gel
    ibuprofen
    little bottle of lube
    small square of cloth
    space blanket (had to have 1 for keilder never took it out)
    showerproof jacket
    emergency £5
    clothes/food to suit ride/weather.
    Could do with a basic short ride toolkit in my ‘bak and the above setup in my wingnut but CBA.

sambob
    Free Member

puncture kit, a tube, multitool, pump, shockpump too, but that’s a waste of space so I don’t know why i bother.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Chain link, and spare chain link.
    Pump
    Tubeless repair kit (never needed it….get that one in quick)
    TopPeak mini wrench + mini chain splitter
    Couple of plasti-ties
    leatherdaddyman (used it a few times on other folks bikes)

Gels, cash, alpen bars (coconut),

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If I’m doing a longer sportive ride then I get my cousin to follow me round closely in his Renault Espace. This enables me to take just about everything, including a spare bike! Obviously it doesnt work for mtb rides, but is ideal for road races

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

what’s the reason for powerlinks? assuming you need a chaintool to remove the damaged section anyway..

D0NK

if you only damage an outer link pop the power link on doing as little splitting/joining as poss

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

ah ok. i suppose actually now i think it means you only have to take links off with the tool, i quite often end up squeezing one on too tight..

andyl
    Free Member

Damn, though you were going to say you had broken a hexus II and had a spare tyre lever 🙁

You could always convert your seat post into a floor pump like a few you can get (but probably not great seat posts. I’m sure you could build a mechanism to fit into a Thomson 😀

andyl
    Free Member

what’s the reason for powerlinks? assuming you need a chaintool to remove the damaged section anyway..

Normally it is the outer link that gets mangled which the powerlink replaces along with the pin and some chains just do not like being broken and re-joined as when breaking it you shear off the mushroom on the pin which provides a lot of the links strength.

spacehopper

folding chain tool,
    multi tool with 4,5,6 mm allen keys and both screw driver types…
    spoke key
    tyre lever
    park patch repair kit
    set of brake pads
    2 zip ties
    cool little micro pump i bought from charliethebikemonger..

and it all fits in a teeny little deuter saddle bag..

for longer rides where i have a backpack i take a tube as well.. 🙂

simon1975

A spare powerlink makes a repair much faster than trying to rejoin links.

I carry an old Shimano cleat and bolts too, as people in my club have a habit of losing them on rides…

alpin
    Free Member

-water
    1-x tube
    -pump
    -quick patches
    -multi-tool
    -a map if in the hills. if the shit hits the fan i want to be able to give co-ordinates of where i/we are.
    -first aid kit inc. heat blanket and disinfectant
    -clothing depending on weather

whistle and camera are attached to my pack.

BikePawl
    Free Member

Multi-tool
    pump
    inner tubes 2
    Tyre boot (old washing up bottle)
    puncture repair kit
    power links(8 and 9 speed)
    Cable ties
    duck tape
    cling film(graze dressing)
    sanitary towels(wound dressing)
    first aid kit(including tick twister)
    Sushi fish (spare lube)
    universal gear hanger
    brake cable
    gear cable
    m4/m5 bolts
    spare crank bolt
    spare rotor bolts
    spare chain ring bolt
    spare brake pads(v-brake)
    spare old brake pads (for my own bike)
    Midge repellent
    sun cream
    Sweeties(jelly babies or haribos)
    cereal bars
    Tow rope
    group shelter
    survival bag
    spare warm gloves
    buff
    waterproof jacket and/or trousers
    whistle
    mobile phone

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘What tools, bits & bobs do you take on your ride?’ is closed to new replies.