Home Forums Chat Forum IT help! Is Edge causing graphics issues for anyone else?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • IT help! Is Edge causing graphics issues for anyone else?
  • 13thfloormonk

My work IT dept. seem like a helpful bunch of guys, but also seem to be stumped as to what seems to be causing multiple crashes a day. They’re now just shrugging their shoulders and saying it must be the software I’m running but I’m not using anything unusual!

The main symptom is both screens flickering and blacking out (in quick succession, never precisely at the same time) before coming back. Usually one or two applications will hang up or simply shut down in this time.

There’s no consistent error message but ‘msedge application error’ pops up quite often.

I am fairly IT illiterate but I get the impression something is overwhelming the graphics card hence the screens blacking out? They’ve added some extra RAM but this hasn’t solved it.

Am hoping I can figure out what to look for so I can go back to IT a bit more informed, any suggestions much appreciated!

franksinatra

At the risk of stating the blooming obvious, is the solution just to use Chrome like everyone else?

13thfloormonk

Hah, good point, I’ve just got so many bookmarks and passwords saved on Edge now and was trying to get over the knee-jerk instinct to use Chrome instead.

Will try that…

alan1977
    Free Member

sounds like your cables/refresh rate.. we get it on cheaper usb-c to hdmi cables here on our surface laptops (via docks) and drop the refresh to 50hz which sorts it

Cougar2
    Free Member

How are the screens powered?

Cougar2
    Free Member

Also,

If I were your IT department and couldn’t fix a problem like this, I’d be replacing it.

Desktop rather than laptop I assume?

alan1977
    Free Member

replacing the IT department might be a little harsh

13thfloormonk

I run the laptop screen and a separate mains powered monitor at home, in the office it’s typically two monitors hooked up to the laptop via one of those wee black box multi-port hub things. The issue occurs on both setups.

I used a loner laptop for two weeks which also suffered the issue. In the meantime my existing laptop was ‘re-packed’ I think was the term, and given back to me. This makes me think there could be an issue between a standard software package and whatever iteration of software update our laptops are all on? Or a brand (Dell) specific bit of hardware vs. common software package?

alan1977
    Free Member

try my reply above

Poopscoop

13thfloormonk
    Hah, good point, I’ve just got so many bookmarks and passwords saved on Edge now

I would think Chrome should be able to import them very easily mate.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Is there anything of interest reported in the event viewer when the crashes occur?

wbo
    Free Member

I have similar but I’m blaming the ‘junction box ‘ for loss of a better phrase.  I’d blame the USB-C on my PC but it doesn’t occur at home or on a neightbouring desk

13thfloormonk

Is there anything of interest reported in the event viewer when the crashes occur?

Where do I find that? I see some suspicious spikes in CPU usage but they always seem to coincide with me opening the viewer!

try my reply above

Will do, sorry just being methodical and trying one thing at a time (plus my home setup is HDMI – HDMI)

HarryTuttle

This may not be helpful but….

Years ago I had a problem with almost identical symptoms, eventually, it was tracked down to a Windows 10 update that wasn’t compatible with the graphics card driver.  result was a driver crash and restart causing the black screen.  The solution was to reinstall the drivers with a later version.

13thfloormonk

Rats, despite using Chrome have come back from lunch to find computer pre-crashed with an msedgewebviewer2.exe 0x00007FF89EB2FE4C unknown software application error.

This despite Edge not being open at the time so clearly something else is trying to use said application. Did some googling and there was a suggestion it might be the endlessly distracting and intrusive ‘widgets’ app in the bottom left hand corner of Windows 11 desktop so have disabled every feature I can, will see how it goes…

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Just search for “Event Viewer” in the task bar search box.

Once there, expand Windows Logs.  Have a look in Application & System – there might be something useful to help you isolate the issue.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.