Home Forums Bike Forum Is anyone driving a Fordbidden Druid V2?

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Is anyone driving a Fordbidden Druid V2?
    goby

Oh that look very nice @sharkattack, looking forward to the build pics and ride report.

sharkattack

I’ve done as much as I can since junior’s bed time. It looks like a weapon already.

PXL_20240628_190908807

Couple of issues. Steerer is too short but I have a really tall top headset cover which I can swap for something flatter.

I just remembered I need a new olive and barb for a Code RSC and if I can’t get one at the LBS it’ll slow me done for a few days.

I have 2 of these things…

It’s a flush grommet thing for the internal routing but they’re both gear cable size. I think I’ve been sent a wrong piece but it’ll be quicker to drill it out than replace it.

So I’ll be digging in tomorrow morning and maybe pedalling it around. This time tomorrow night I might have Post Traumatic Internal Routing Disorder.

sharkattack

It’s in one piece. The brakes aren’t great, they need some attention. Everything else is fine.

I just went for a blast around the streets near home so I can’t give you a full review.

First impressions are good. The size and shape is bang on, it’s a nice place to sit and I span up a few steep hills no problem. It feels light, sprightly and agile which is exactly what I wanted after a few years on bigger enduro bikes.

I might go out tomorrow with some tools and a shock pump and dial it in a bit.

PXL_20240629_152000445

PXL_20240629_152014389

chiefgrooveguru

That’s so nice! And these v2 Druids are really well reviewed – I think the upside down Horst link is a great way to do the high pivot without such extreme chainstay growth and brake squat.

The gloss black Lyrik is a nice match with the frame finish (sparkles or not)!

sharkattack

Thanks, I’m lucky I had a bike which I could use everything from. I’ve only bought a chain and a £3 olive and barb.

I found a another review…https://theradavist.com/forbidden-druid-v2-review/

I haven’t read it all yet, it’s very wordy. But again, it’s overwhelmingly, almost unbelievably positive.

honourablegeorge

What height are you? It’s an S4/XL, right?

sharkattack

It’s an S4 and I’m 6’2″ with my Five Tens on.

goby

Oh that is very nice @sharkattack that’s going to be allot of fun!! 😁

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

185cm on an S3 here for reference.

Still enjoying the Alps on mine, the big bike isn’t really even getting a look in this trip.

Im doing the classic of wondering, with a couple of sets of wheels & swapping out between the air & coil shock, this could be a middle & big bike solution for most of my riding & racing.

Another week out here yet & off to Finale in September, which bike will win out…

View post on imgur.com

chiefgrooveguru

Is that an Intend shock? What’s it like?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Is that an Intend shock? What’s it like?

It is. It came with it (and some others) so I’ve not had a huge amount of time on it to be honest, I chucked a coil on for going away.

Ill swap back when I’m home as I think with a bit of messing around with the air chambers it could be close to a coil in terms of feel.

honourablegeorge

Thanks both, I’m 185cm also, thinking the reach on the S3 is shorter than I’d like, hard to know

sharkattack

How do I know what my chain line is? There’s 2 different mounts for the idler. One marked 52-55 and the other is 55 only.

I’ve got a regular cable operated GX Eagle.

honourablegeorge

measure centre of frame to centre of chainring

sharkattack

I still haven’t ridden it yet! I had Junior all day yesterday and today I’m ‘working from home’.

I did weight it though. It’s 15.5kg. That’s almost 2kg lighter than the 141. This is without any ‘lightweight’ parts as I don’t have any. This frame is the first piece of carbon fibre I’ve ever had. Obviously I’m tempted to go all in with rims and bars etc. That will have to wait, but lets see what’s around on Black Friday!

Two issues. My frame is missing the rubber chainstay protection. I thought it might have gone missing in the shop somewhere but Biketreks confirmed that it should should have been glued on at the factory. They replied early Sunday morning to say that they’ll have one shipped out asap.

Also, my shock is squelching. All the adjusters seem to work but there’s a bubbly, frothy, squelch at the start of the travel and a pronounced hard spot. This seems like cavitation and as an ex-Fox X2 owner it makes me nervous. I’ll try to get a video later.

sharkattack

I’m bringing back the Druid thread in case anyone is interested in them.

What prompted me is that I just noticed that my bottle bosses are on the wonk. The lowest one is really rough and needs an M4 tap running through it but I don’t have one yet. While messing with it I noticed that they weren’t lined up very well. On measuring it you can see it’s about 10mm out of line. Now as manufacturing faults go, it’s not disastrous but now that I’ve noticed it it’s really bugging me. With all the frame jigs and stuff, how do they even get this wrong? Unless every one is like this. I’ll get a picture later if anyone cares.

Anyway, I’ve actually ridden it a few times now. I’ve had it built since August but I had a few trips booked that were more suitable for the other bike so I’ve been riding that more. Now that I’ve smashed it down some very familiar trails I’ve got some opinions about it.

PXL_20241020_093307128

It’s properly rapid! Now, in the past I’ve always been overbiked, so this is the lightest, shortest travel bike I’ve ever had and maybe that’s why it feels so spritely. I did take the edge off the speed and efficiency quite a lot when I switched from my worn out Schwalbe’s to brand new Kryptotal’s which are heavier and stickier. But away from the local loops and into the shitty, chunky trails, the Continental’s are far superior.

I haven’t even gotten into setting it up yet. I just set the sag and left the compression wide open. The rear end is magic. It’s not that if feels like it’s got more than 130mm travel it’s just the action is amazing. It gives so little feedback through your feet, it feels like it’s not doing anything. I didn’t realise how good it was until I got to some familiar trails which I’d ridden hundreds of times on lots of other bikes. Everywhere that I expected it to start feeling crashy, it just didn’t. It’s also the quietest bike I’ve ever ridden. The silence combined with the quality of the rear suspension makes it feel unlike anything I’ve ever ridden.

I’ve only taken it to proper trails a few times so far and the dominating factor has been the weather. I was covered head to toe in mud at the weekend so I wasn’t agonising over bike setup. I’m going to take it somewhere hopefully dry and rough as hell, with a shock pump, and see how much I can improve the feel. Or, I’ll find something I don’t like and report back.

Only complaint so far is lack of rear tyre clearance. It’s very tight with a 2.4 in there and annoyingly I’ve now got some redundant 2.6’s in the garage. Oh, and now the wonky bottle bosses.

So far, so good.

That is imo one of, if not the best looking high pivot bike I’ve seen.

Noice {insert Italian hand emoji here}.

sharkattack

Thanks. Does it make me a tart that I’m currently looking for a black pump so I can lose the silver/gold Lezyne one?

explorerboy

Silver/Gold sets off the decals on the bike IMHO – keep it.

Very much love the looks of these bikes… the name alone just begs for a Pigs x7 soundtrack and a rip through the woods on an autumnal day

sharkattack

Here’s a decent picture of it freshly cleaned in an unusually tidy garage…

PXL_20241024_164259370

This is how tight the tyre clearance is with a 2.4. I imagine it’ll be a nightmare in proper mud. Luckily my recent rides have been wetter than Atlantis so not too claggy.

PXL_20241024_163716801

This is hard to picture but the bottle bosses are definitely closer to the drive side of the bike. The bottom one more so. Whoever drilled the holes that day must have been distracted.

PXL_20241024_163134339PXL_20241024_163216655.MP

Thanks. Does it make me a tart that I’m currently looking for a black pump so I can lose the silver/gold Lezyne one?

Absolutely. Lean into that shit, it’s ace.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.