Home Forums Bike Forum Invisiframe advantages???

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Invisiframe advantages???
  • crimsondynamo
    Free Member

I am about to buy a new carbon trailbike.  There is the option to have it invisiframed, at not inconsiderable expense.

I really don’t care about preserving the cosmetic appearance, or resale value. However, if the tape protects against structural damage and/or extends the longevity of the frame then that definitely would appeal.

What benefits/advantages does invisiframe bring?

Stevelol
    Free Member

It keeps the paint looking nice.

Will stop cable rub.

andylc
    Free Member

I think it’s largely cosmetic rather than keeping it from structural damage but still think it’s worth it. But if looks don’t really concern you and not planning on selling any time soon maybe not worthwhile?

sharkattack

It keeps your frame clean for the next owner.

tomhoward

There is the option to have it invisiframed, at not inconsiderable expense.

What is it as a % of the total price of the bike? < 5%?

bikesandboots

Regardless of resale value, it’d be easier to sell. Many buyers don’t want a scuffed up bike regardless of low price.

stwhannah

I’d honestly consider doing it yourself if you have any modicum of patience. I did it for a photoshoot and it was actually way easier than I anticipated. Cleaning the bike before it (it wasn’t a new bike I was fitting it to) was much more of a PITA than the actual fitting of the kit. Set up a clean work area properly with clean surfaces, plenty of kitchen roll/blue cloth, and appropriate sprays, stick the radio on, and an afternoon later you’ll have it done.

BearBack
    Free Member

I’d invisi/ridewrap every bike without question, I’d choose whichever has the template for my bike but my experience of ridewrap is that it doesn’t do well with repeated “friction” so performs poorly against heel rub, tailgate rub etc

jamiemcf

I’ve done it for my bike. For my boys bike Vitus 20+ I got a sheet and custom made the templates. Still looks fresh

nuke

Always impressed how a outer cable can ‘saw’ it’s way through paint & metal/plastic, yet a bit of heli tape or similar will keep it at bay.

And on that note, i always tape my bikes. Evenings work before their first ride and don’t mind it. Way i figure it is that if i have completely mischosen a new bike, at least it won’t be scuffed if i end up selling it but then equally, if i love it, it’ll stay looking new for longer

seriousrikk

I’ve got it on both my bikes. One I paid for the other came with frame protection pre applied.

There are plenty of small dings in the tape (which rub out to an extent) that would otherwise be dings in the paint.

However on my carbon bike consensus is the seat stay tape has saved me from a worse issue. Took a fairly big rock up on cut gate – made a mess of my derailleur and continued into the frame. Ride stopper. The frame protection where it hit stretched and deformed and is now a bit of a mess. Paint underneath is gone and there is a light mark on the carbon. The amount of tape that got moved suggests it deflected a good amount of energy from the frame.

Would it have broken my frame? No. Would I have needed to consider a more expensive repair? Maybe.

K

DIY using paint protection film, a marker pen, scissors, some diluted washing up liquid in an old household spray bottle and a hair drier.

I normally only bother to put it on the areas  that will get rubbed.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

What is it as a % of the total price of the bike? < 5%?

Pretty much 5% on the nose, frame only, not including invisiframing the fork.

Are people invisiframing their forks too?

tomhoward

I did on a custom painted set, not bothered on stock ones.

Compared to the total cost of a bike, it’s not a big cost, and the benefits whilst rarely structural, they’re more than worth it in the long run.

MartynS

I did my carbon trail bike myself.
    As Hannah says really clean bike, clean work area, and radio of choice.

I didn’t have any bendy tubes to deal with which i think made it easier.

i also found that any small air bubbles were quite easily popped with a pin. I can’t see where the bubbles were.

like the OP i did wonder if it was worth it, but as a very small percentage of the cost i figured why not, and actually quite glad i did. Its not just the big hits it protects its the little stuff like heal and cable rubs

GolfChick
    Free Member

Because you’ve clearly said you’re not bothered about cosmetic appearance and knocks and scrapes I would say don’t bother and instead buy a sheet of stuff you can cut yourself and find all the areas where there’s a potential for rubbing (cut them incircles to prevent lifting corners). That’s what we used to do before invisiframe was a thing. Personally if I’m parting with a fair chunk of money (anything above £6k) and I’m getting an invisiframe fit by default and on the forks also. It is bizarre though because the next owner either has to peel and put it on fresh for it to look immaculate or look at the odd dirt gathering/knocked parts just the same.

jeffl

I butchered a set of these for the areas around the headtube on my frame which are prone to cable rub. Not fussed about resale etc as I tend to keep my bikes for at least 5-6 years, so resale value is not an issue.

Bike Protection Kits

I also have some of these SRAM cable protectors to help mitigate the issue.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/sram-outer-cable-protector-rubber-black-qty-4/

devash
    Free Member

If you are OCD (like me) its a great idea, especially if the bike cost a lot of money.

dickie
    Free Member

One disadvantage I’ve noticed is that on pale coloured frames, in my case light blue, in some area’s, especially in area’s of detail & small pointy area’s, if the film lifts, it gets muck under it & its very visible unless you start cutting back the film.

I’d DIY with film from ebay.  Lightly spray the sticky side of the film & the frame with water & a drip of washing up liquid in it. You can slide it into place, squeegee out the water & dry it off with a hair dryer.

nedrapier

It is bizarre though because the next owner either has to peel and put it on fresh for it to look immaculate or look at the odd dirt gathering/knocked parts just the same.

and you’re protecting it from scratches but you end up with a bunch of gaps between the sections which look like a load of scratches!

bikesandboots

Are people invisiframing their forks too?

Yes, but didn’t use to. Forks get more marks than frames for me. One issue is you get a bit of an outline effect around the decals though.

desperatebicycle

I really don’t care about preserving the cosmetic appearance, or resale value

Don’t do it then.

I didn’t do my carbon Rocky Mountain back when I bought it in 2016 and the paint job looks well tatty. Very little resale value, so it’s really no issue. But there’s no structural damage. So it hasn’t suffered for not being done in any way other than the aesthetics.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.