Home Forums Chat Forum Insurance claim question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Insurance claim question
  • damitamit
    Free Member

Next door neighbour rolled their car into the side of my parked car a few weeks ago. I’ve been on holiday so havent had a chance to call my insurer, but their insurer finally called me today and said they accept liability (obviously) and they will do whatever to fix the car.

This may be a dumb question but why are they so keen for me to not claim through my insurer?

Also, what’s usually the best route to go. Claim through my insurer or let their insurer sort it all out?

clubber
    Free Member

If you claim through your insurer then they will charge the neighbour’s insurance company back plus usally extra to cover admin, etc. Basically, it’ll cost your neighbour’s insurer more.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Let their insurer sort it out. Why would you want to claim on yours when the accident wasn’t your fault?

JPcapel
    Free Member

its know as capturing the third party (direct).

Your neighbours Insurer is able to control costs by dealing with you directly, rather than waiting for a bill, for which they have had no consultation, to role up from your Insurer.
    If you claim off your own motor Insurer your no claims discount (if unprotected) will be impacted, until the point of the third parties cheque arriving back with your Insurer. So if your renewal were on the horizon say within the next 3-6 months you could find your premium is higher as a result of this claim, if at the time of renewal your Insurer hasnt had the third parties money in by this time. Renewal is usually sent out 28days in advance as well.

Dealing with the TP insurer direct should be fine. Check to see what parts they will use to fix your car, pattern parts or original, the industry is awash with using non OE parts to repair cars – essentially sub standard parts which dont fit as well. Its reasonable to demand that your car be fitted with genuine parts.

Secondly, the hire car they provide is likely to be pants, think Vauxhall Corsa, if you went to a no win no fee solicitor you’d get something more akin to the car you normally drive.
    This is a point of discussion, you have a duty to mitigate your loss (keep costs down), but if you are a family man, have a need for a bigger car (transport bike, etc) then ask for a car that is suitable, if they decline, say you will go to a no win no fee solicitor and I suspect they will re-think their answer.
    Hope this helps, this should be easy as the neighbour had admitted liability so its only costs to agree.

damitamit
    Free Member

That was very helpful Jpcapel!

Car is a 15 year old FTO, so not too fussed about OE parts. Plus it seems like bodywork damage. More concerned with their garage doing a crap paint job!

Don’t use the car much, so not too fussed about hire car.

Will stick with the TP insurer…

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’m 99% sure that as he’s admitted liability you are within your rights to use whatever garage/spray shop you choose. Don’t be bullied into taking it to one of their preferred places. Get a quote from a garage you trust.

totalshell

the car will be returned to you better than pre accident if my experiecne is normal, valeted polished the lot i sold it quickly as i’d never be able to get it looking so good.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

15 year old. is there not a danger your own insurers will write it off ?

dooosuk
    Free Member

There’s a danger the neighbours insurer will try and write it off too.

However, if you like and want to keep the car you can demand that it is repaired.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Same happened to my GF’s little 106 a few years ago. It was >10yrs old, his insurers repaired it at a total cost of about £800 i think (new doorskin/spray/hire car/etc. The car was probably only worth that at the time – we expected it to be written off too, bit weird.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Insurance claim question’ is closed to new replies.