Home Forums Bike Forum Inserts to protect carbon bars when fitting bar ends…?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Inserts to protect carbon bars when fitting bar ends…?
  • slowboydickie

Hi folks,

I am after some Specialized CNC bar inserts but they are discontinued and I wondered if anyone could recommend something similar?

I would like to strengthen my carbon bars so I can fit some bar ends for a SDW crossing on Friday.  I have some of the giant connect bar ends that cap the end of the bars so I couldn’t use Hope bar ends, for example. That is, the end of the bar end can be no wider than the bar. Does that make sense?

Worst case is I fit some alloy bars instead so its not the end of the world.

Thanks!

spicer
    Free Member

I don’t think they’re necessary… having an insert means that the bar ends you’re putting on would then crush the carbon bars against the insert when you tighten everything up, which would be very bad as carbon isn’t the best material in compression like that. I understand your concern of clamping down on a small area at the end with what is effectively a lever and thus transmitting more force, but carbon bars are designed to be extremely strong, this should be well within it’s limits.

Just fit the bar ends as normal, use a torque wrench, and preferably some non-slip carbon paste if you have any.

I’ve had the same pair of cheap superstar carbon bars switching between my enduro and DH bikes for at least 8 years, lots of big crashes, hard landings, chunks taken out of them, and still going strong. I know it’s different to the forces you’re talking about, but don’t underestimate how tough they can be. They wouldn’t make them if they couldn’t withstand a little bit of pressure from bar-ends! 🙂

slowboydickie

Thanks Spicer. The SDW is not a gnarly ride but still, I would be nervous. Probably better I stick on some alloy bars.

scotroutes

Bar ends on carbon bars are fine. Just don’t act like a gorilla with the allen screw.

velocipede
    Free Member

Thanks for posting this – I’ve been thinking about exactly the same issue – and was coming to the conclusion that @scotroutes makes above 😁

slowboydickie

Okay, will give it a go with the torque wrench

spooky_b329

No need for a torque wrench, just nip them up until they don’t move when you are hauling up a hill on them! With a torque wrench, you may tighten them more than needed, or they are not tight enough and its fine to tighten them more anyway!

damascus
    Free Member

How about some ergon grips with built in bar ends? The load is spread out across the grip more than a bar end.

slowboydickie

I didn’t die. I torqued to 4nm and used carbon paste. It was super helpful having the extra hand position for a 9 hour ride.

slowboydickie

Thanks everybody.

slowboydickie

A couple of years ago I saw someone with bar ends that folded out otherwise they looked like normal grips. Can’t find them though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Inserts to protect carbon bars when fitting bar ends…?’ is closed to new replies.