Home Forums Chat Forum IKEA writing their own reviews to boost product ratings

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • IKEA writing their own reviews to boost product ratings
    dmorts

I bought a Bekvam kitchen trolley earlier this year as we needed some extra worktop space in the kitchen.

I had a lot of issues with the item. It required one entire replacement and several parts and fixings. Quite unusual for IKEA items in my experience. Also while not at the standard of some on here I can make things out of wood.

I left them a fair review back in August, albeit a 2 star one. During some idle browisng today, I noitced within 5 days of my review, two 5 star reviews were submitted. The first acknowledges there was an issue, but still gives it 5 stars. The wording of this review is strange too. The second mentions buying the item years ago and that they are glad they still make them, and rates it 5 stars.

Item is here https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/bekvaem-kitchen-trolley-beech-70240351/

My review is titled “Something is not right with the fixings”. While I didn’t mention it in my review, I worked out what the issue with the item is and a rubber mallet would not fix it (despite one review claiming so). The issue was to do with machining and was consistent across all parts/units I saw.

I think the two subsequent review are from IKEA employees

pothead
    Free Member

No idea if Ikea do this but there are companies around the world who will write fake reviews for anything/ anyone who pays them using fake social media accounts/ profiles, it’s been going on for years

maccruiskeen

Quite unusual for IKEA items in my experience.

Ikea manufactures on a pretty massive scale, theres likely more than one factory making that particular item, or that has manufactured them thoughout the product’s history. If it’s a machining/tollerance/ QC issue rather than a design issue  it’s maybe more likely theres a bad batch than the product being an inherently  flawed design.

So those could well be genuine reviews of the product, just relating to  items that aren’t effected by the issues that your one is.

If you look at the US reviews for the same product (ie IKEA.com/US/EN)  theres over 100 reviews for the same item that are almost all 5 star but again 2 or 3 that complain about the unit being difficult to assemble. On that version of the site you can click on ‘other countries’ and see reviews from all round the world if you like

darksideby182

I have had this kitchen trolley for about 8 years. I haven’t had any issues although it is hidden under a counter. I thought it was well made for an IKEA product.

chickenman

“Billy bookcases, very popular here in the east end of Glasgow”. Clearly fake…

thered

Worst for faking it is TUI holidays without a doubt. The way they flame anybody that comments negatively on their social is shocking

dmorts

I have had this kitchen trolley for about 8 years….. I thought it was well made for an IKEA product.

You won’t have the same item as you can buy today. There was one in some accommodation we stayed in and obviously a lot older. It was made from completely different wood and much better finished.

Once ours was together it is fine. As @maccruiskeen said, there was probably a dodgy batch. The problem was machining of parts. The supplied fixings couldn’t be adjusted to overcome the out of tolerance parts if you assembled it per the instructions. I had to undo everything, clamp it square with bar clamps and then do all of the fixings back up.

The instructions expected that the small cam locks for the shelves could pull the legs back into line. No rubber mallet is going to help with that

jeffl

I’ll be honest we have bought loads of stuff from IKEA in the past, it was our standard go-to for house stuff.

But over the last few years I’ve noticed that the quality has taken a downward turn. Interestingly if you look at some reviews people say I bought x 8 years ago, it finally died so I bought the same as a replacement and the new version is rubbish.

Recently for me bought some cupboards/units to sit the TV on. It took 3 attempts to get one that was actually the colour it said on the box or wasn’t damaged. Similarly a sofa was returned under warranty as one of the pocked springs had exploded. Was all fine until they lost half of the return, even though they picked it up. It’s taken almost 3 months to get it sorted and get a refund.

So yeah I won’t be using them anymore. As an aside anyone know what Dunelm sofas are like, we’ve seen one we like but can’t try before we buy, unless we drive to Manchester.

Poopscoop

I am Jack’s inflamed sense of appalment.

mattyfez

Ikea stuff is mostly overpriced cheap junk in my experience, compressed cardboard ‘wood’ with micro thin veneers that scratch off if you so much as look at them sideways…

I honestly don’t know why everyone seems to like them so much.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.