Home Forums Bike Forum “Ideal” rim width for a 2.2” tyre

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • “Ideal” rim width for a 2.2” tyre
  • letmetalktomark

As above.

I run 2.25” tyres on rims that are ~18.5mm inner and ~24mm outer. I find that I have to run a much higher pressure than I guess is ideal due to the rim width and supple tyre walls.

I’m limited on frame clearance so I couldn’t risk a super wide rim or want to clatter a rim due to running a narrow(ish) tyre.

What is the hive mind’s thoughts?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

25mm works very nicely for me with 2.2, 2.3 ish tyres.

Kramer
    Free Member

I was going to suggest 25mm.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

25mm, end of.

letmetalktomark

Thanks folks – I’m presuming these are inner rim measurements?

sirromj

27.5mm internal.

bikesandboots

Yes, 25mm rim means 25mm inner.

I went for 25mm too for running 2.2″. I figured it was a very flexible size; I could run a gravel tyre or a 2.4″ on it if the need arose.

squirrelking
    Free Member

21mm because Mavic decided it was good for up to 3″.

Honestly, it’s more about tyre profile, a narrower rim should mean a rounder profile so more cushion and lower pressure. Flatter rims tend to bottom out easier, compare and contrast a Mavic EX721 and EX729.

Run what works for you.

slowol

WTB rim / tyre width chart is fairly useful.

https://www.wtb.com/pages/tire-rim-fit-chart#

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered some 25mm rims for my 45 and 50mm gravel tyres. I run 30mm rims for 2.4 and 2.5 inch.

What rim widths are available to you?

qwerty
    Free Member

25mm internal.

chakaping

It’s weird how 25mm internal seems to be correct for 2.1 to 2.4in MTB tyres (and is my preference), but also for gravel bikes these days.

I’m also just fitting a set to my gravel bike today, fingers crossed for rear frame clearance ?

frogstomp

It’s weird how 25mm internal seems to be correct for 2.1 to 2.4in MTB tyres (and is my preference), but also for gravel bikes these days.

Is that more to do with aerodynamics – i.e. a smoother tyre to rim transition. That seems to be the blurb behind the new Zipp 303 XPLR wide rims (32mm internal).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.