Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 1,514 total)
  • iDave diet, who done it?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I ate a whole tin of beans last night in spicy form. And I’m bloody starving this morning!

BigJohn

If you want an interesting pulse-based dish, look for a recipe for Jamie Oliver’s Mad Moroccan Lamb with cous cous, and add extra chickpeas instead of the cous cous. I made that on Saturday and it was really good.

Last night I did Chickpeas, Sesame seed paste (Tahini) Olive oil, garlic and lemon juice (yes, I know lemon juice probably isn’t kosher) blitzed to make a really nice hummus. I had that with falafel, which is broad beans (or chickpeas) ground up with spices and onion, pressed into little lozenge shapes and shallow fried.

In the oven I roasted a pan of vegetables (peppers, fennel, courgettes, tomatoes and garlic) and separately a couple of chicken legs. Mrs BigJohn, who’s now iCurious, had a few roasted new potatoes with hers, and I substituted the falafel and hummus.

I think she was envious.

BigJohn

I bought a tri magazine

I’m not ready for triathlons. I’ve started to build up to one though, by looking at bi websites.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

😀 I don’t do things by halves… I went from straight cyclsit to tricurious in one step.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

big-john… do you have a recipe for that falafel, sounds good.

here at home wife just bought some polenta and made some small breads. she figured as polenta was made from maize, and sweetcornb is ok (?) it was ok… sadly though no a quick search says not.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sweetcorn even in veg form is out, apparently.

Spud

I need more imagination and preparation in the lunch area, skipped today as I can’t face another bloody salad from the hospital ‘restaurant’. Everything else is banned-item-rich. Looks like I’ll starve till tea tonight.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I had a hard time of it today, absolutely nothing in the work canteen had no banned items so I ended up with a stir fry beef and veg which had a small heap of rice. I intended to ignore the rice but it was all mixed up in the stuff and I was starving so it went down 🙁 Been doing so well too!

Solo
    Free Member

Ref Big John’s posts ^^^^^^^ Just find a recipe and modify it.
    Obviously some recipes are closer to low GI than others.

I have found the JO website useful, much more so than Hugh’s website.

Don’t forget to look through the monster list of stuff on the BBC food website.

Spud.
    No need to starve dude, more prep.
    😉

CK.
    You’ll live. Like Spud, more prep perhaps.
    🙂

Home made food tastes the best, imo.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

no sweetcorn? damn, i’ve been eating heaps.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

mind you just discovered that i like quinoa so at least chilli con carne is back on and tagines.

what about quorn, that permissible?

Spud

We have a freezer full of chilli, curry etc. I’ll engage brain next time. Still cheat day tomorrow! 4 weeks in on Monday and just over half a stone gone, no exercise either through injury..

Solo
    Free Member

Will there be an STW Master Chef series soon ?.

Solo
    Free Member

GTOS.

I make a quorn based chilli, I’ve never used / eaten quinoa. Well, not to the best of my knowledge.

Spud

I can safely say that gram flour tortilla’s don’t work…

BigJohn

You can get falafel mix from Tesco – but careful, only the “Hale & Hearty” brand is free from wheat.

All it consists of is ground chickpeas and spices but it’s quick, easy and tasty.

I like them made with broad beans. If you use tinned beans you probably need to add mor flour to achieve the right stiff texture. Use gram flour (chickpeas) in that case.

I’m just about to make a squash and cauliflower curry to go with the pork chops tonight. Onion, garlic, pepper, and mushrooms will be added along with some thai spices and coconut milk.

Breakfast/lunch today was the left over hummus with carrots.

iDave
    Free Member

How much bigness have you lost BigJohn?

Solo
    Free Member

Ok, I’ve just google’d the quorn thingy and found this:

beans, lentils and other legumes all among the lowest GI foods.Quorn is also a great meat substitute with no GI as it has almost no carbohydrate

So, unless someone else knows more than me *highly likely* 😆
    I’d guess quorn is in.

Solo
    Free Member

We have a freezer full of chilli, curry etc. I’ll engage brain next time. Still cheat day tomorrow! 4 weeks in on Monday and just over half a stone gone, no exercise either through injury

Spud, like you, my freezer has a fair few tubs of homemade chilli and ragu, stored within.
    It is goooooood.
    8)

Good effort on losing the 1/2 stone just through changing what you eat.

Weight control through diet alone, is exactly what I’ve been trying to achieve. Its working pretty well too.
    I feel I eat well, I don’t miss meals or feel hungry, and don’t suffer lack of energy. Can’t really see a down side to this, as being able to eat crap and booze each and every day just wouldn’t mean anything anymore.

🙂

BigJohn

3kg. And I’m having beers on Fridays and tuesdays, and having sugar in 2 coffees a day.

And a lot of floaters are resulting 😳

Spud

Cheers, I’ve been a bit reserved on cheat days, but tomorrow the gloves are off!! It may commence with the full English next door…

molgrips
    Free Member

Chilli’s never been an issue for me – just wang three or four extra tins of random legumes in it and eat from a bowl. Nom – no rice required.

Must say though I’m still feeling quite tired with all the riding I’m doing…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*wanders in… wonders why everyone is actually talking about diets… wanders off to get a chocolate bar and a coffee*

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

wanders off to get a chocolate bar and a coffee

Care to join me? I’ve just got a latte mmmmm 🙂

I’m clock watching, waiting for the time when i can go climbing. Off to a different place tonight *excited*

I have been inspired by reading the above to make chilli with quorn for my tea tomorrow night *goes off to look at recipes*

Solo
    Free Member

wanders in… wonders why everyone is actually talking about diets
    😆

The clue is in the title……… 😉

Chilli’s never been an issue for me – just wang three or four extra tins of random legumes in it and eat from a bowl. Nom – no rice required.

Amen dude !, Chilli’s a good one for me too, esp now that I’ve dumped the pack mixes for the spices and just add my own. Tastes better too.
    Chik P’s, red kidney beans and cannellini beans go into my chilli.

Rice with your chilli is so harvester.

Its gram flour flatbreads with Chilli, for me
    8)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Don’t forget the Aduki beans 👿

Solo
    Free Member

goes off to look at recipes

No need.

The enlightened Chilli.

Olive Oil
    2 medium sized white onions – chopped
    500g of minced beef, I use Quorn instead.
    1-2 Peppers – chopped
    4-6 cloves Garlic – crushed – fine
    2 red chillies
    2 green chillies
    1 x 380g pack of Chick peas, drained and washed
    1 x 380g pack of Cannellini beans, drained and washed
    1 x 380g pack of red kidney beans, drained and washed
    2 x 400g tins of chopped Toms
    1 x tablespoon of sundried tomato paste.
    If you can’t source this, then tom puree
    2 teaspoons hot paprika
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon of salt
    1 teaspoon of ground black pepper – Optional
    2-3 bay leaves
    Tabasco souce to taste.
    1 glass red wine.

My chilli is better than yours…. *runs*
    😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I thought tomatoes were banned?

What about eating coffee beans? Is this allowed?

Solo
    Free Member

I thought tomatoes were banned?

I hope you’re better at riding your bike than understanding the rules
    😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Chilli’s a good one for me too, esp now that I’ve dumped the pack mixes for the spices and just add my own. Tastes better too

To be fair, I’ve never managed to concoct my own spice recipe that comes close to the Discovery chilli from a jar…..

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

solo, fab, you are a star! I don’t eat meat so quorn it is. 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

than understanding the rules

They were banned originally, like way back… all fruit was, toms included.

iDave
    Free Member

I never banned tomatoes

They pass the custard test

Solo
    Free Member

I never banned tomatoes

They pass the custard test

idisciples 1 – TSY 0

😉

Solo
    Free Member

solo, fab, you are a star! I don’t eat meat so quorn it is

You’re very welcome, fill yer boots !
    😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*goes back to vending machine for more comfort eating*

Spud

One thing that has struck me is sources of calcium, having cut out the dairy stuff and not being a nutritionist, am I depriving myself of calcium? Or are there sufficient other sources out there?

molgrips
    Free Member

iDave is this really completely public domain now? Can I give it out to my mates?

Solo
    Free Member

To be fair, I’ve never managed to concoct my own spice recipe that comes close to the Discovery chilli from a jar…..

Its probably got sugar in it.

Try my recipe, it’ll taste good if for no other reason than you made it.
    😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I suspect it hasn’t. Plus I’ve put sugar in my own chili and it’s good but still not as good.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 1,514 total)

The topic ‘iDave diet, who done it?’ is closed to new replies.