Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,514 total)
  • iDave diet, who done it?
  • Tiger6791

So who done and stuck too it?

Let’s see some real world stats

Start weight?
    2 week check in?
    1 month?
    Weight now after how long?
    % stuck too it?

Just interested, maybe a bit of motivation.. 🙂

motivforz
    Free Member

On it as of yesterday morning. Very hard to be revising/working in my flat when it is still full of inadvisable food stuffs, and boredom is frequent.

85kg.
    Not there yet.
    Not there yet.
    85kg.
    100% so far. 😆

Still not sure on how to do beans, I’ve tried cooking dried beans/split peas before and they always ended up rubbish, hard and tasteless. Bought tinned beans for now to try, and then will experiment with dried again when I go food shopping. I am liking the different meals though, having tuna steaks tonight then sirloin tomorrow, its all tasty stuff! Just lunchtimes not sure what to eat. Yesterday I had a tin of tuna.

mogrim

Like motivforz, started yesterday morning. Was doing really well til yesterday evening, got home and the kids had spent all day cooking an “International Meal”, with little flags stuck in the food and everything. Luckily peas were one of the courses, unluckily the rest of the courses were bread-based or fruit 🙄

Going well again today, though. Although having a bowl of peas for breakfast was a first.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andy7t2
    Free Member

87kg
    84kg
    only doing it for two weeks but had both weekend days as cheat days

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

With you on the dried bean front, tried it a few years ago and ended up chucking them away. I use tinned beans but gonna have to give the dried bean route again as it’s got to be cheaper.

donsimon
    Free Member

I started a long while back on a similar diet, beans, lentils and fruit, and lost steadily lost 500g per week. Changed to the iDave diet and continued losing 500g per week now at about 15% body fat and looking to get rid of another 5% or so through physical effort. Change means that I’m not going to stick so rigidly but there are some permanent changes. Might go for a weigh in on Thursday, I expect to be somewhere around 70kg, hopefully a little under.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tried, but I just can’t get on with it. It’s too hard to live with for me, avoiding all the required foods is almost impossible and feels distinctly unhealthy (I like fruit and dairy, I find myself craving it when I “cant” have it, doesn’t seem sensible to me) as I’d have to prep everything days before and I find a lot of it rather bland with a short life. Local to work shops sell nothing helpful so I end up either weakly gorging on carbs or starving and ending up with a headache when I get home that only go with powerful painkillers or sugar.

Might be me being useless, but I just don’t seem to get on with it. I’ve tried twice, it just doesnt fit.

motivforz
    Free Member

mmm, steak, dribble

molgrips
    Free Member

Let’s see. Did 5 weeks of it, lost 6kg, then over the Easter weekend it went pear shaped (lots of hard travelling and visiting people) so put on a kg. I expect to lose that really quickly though. I went from 91 ish to 85kg, weight which had been impossible to shift through traditional means. I was 94kg before Christmas.

At first it was a shock, lots of MTFU required, but then it became much easier. My brain got used to it and the cravings became distant and easy to manage – the success seemed to play a big role in this. More than weight loss my body’s changed, you can see muscles all over the place where you couldn’t before and I look much better considering such a relatively small change.

I’ve been cycling to work 20 miles each way, and during the first week that was hard – I got more and more tired and by Friday I was seriously exhausted, worse than the end of a 24 hour race. So I started taking more pure carbs around the riding which has helped.

In fact the carbs whilst riding has made it manageable I think – my brain looks forward to the ride so it can drink sweet stuff, and then it’s happy (ish) the rest of the time. I’ve also not stuck to the diet 100% with a few single sweets now and then, a dollop of milk foam in an espresso or if it gets really bad, a cake. The cake only happened three times though, once on the first day and once on my daughter’s birthday 🙂

iDave outlaws cream, but the Four Hour Body allows it so I have had a teaspoon or two of cream in my espressos sometimes which is nomalicious 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

75kg before now 69kg. Started properly in february. Not as strict as i should be at times.

Garry_Lager

How zero tolerance do you have to be with it? I’ve started a sort of 80% iDave approach – I can manage to largely bin white carbs, dairy etc, but total abstinence for 6 days is too much hassle (for me).

I’ve got the weight to lose though so I doubt it matters much either way. I’m not trying to go from 72 to 68; more like 100 to 90.

nickb

I’ve done a week of it (well, week and a half, but Easter was a bit tricky).
    Gone from about 74-75kg to 72kg. Aiming to get down to 70-71 or less in 2 weeks time, but will see how it goes.

Been pretty strict so far, but the current abundance of Easter chocolate in the house is making it difficult at the moment.

As for the beans/veg thing, I’m finding that pretty easy. Last night I had a nice lean steak with a plateful of broad beans cooked in a pan with a bit of black pepper and lemon juice – delicious! Tonight was chicken breast with a bean salad and a green and tomato salad. Tomorrow tarka dahl, probably with a bit of chicken thrown in. All good!

Nick

coffeeking
    Free Member

Every time I try it I find I drop a couple of kg, then within days I can put the lot back on. To me this suggests it’s mostly water-based weight. Probably just me though, I just can’t seem to get on with it.

motivforz
    Free Member

Surely if some are maintaining their rate of weight loss then it can’t be purely water, otherwise they would be dehydrated and cease to exist? I don’t understand the mechanisms (engineering is much simpler!) but successive maintained weight loss suggests something more than water is being lost. It has been mentioned before that perhaps a reduction in starchy sugar rich high GI foot stuffs in your digestive system could reduce the amount of water contained in your digestive system, which isn’t hydrating you anyway.

For any nonsense in this post I apologise, alcohol in moderation is good but with my girlfriend only drinking one glass, it would be rude to not finish the bottle wouldn’t it? I’m sure *hic* that red wine goes off within 2 hours of opening 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

motivforz – I agree, doesn’t make sense, and I’m not questioning the diet itself, I’m just recounting my experience.

Odd stuff too like red wine only doesn’t make sense to me – all wines contain sugars, the GI of alcohols is 0, the only alcoholic drinks that have no sugars are things like vodka and distilled products, so why red wine only?

iDave
    Free Member

My 14 year old son now has a six pack which he’s quite chuffed with – 2 weeks, lost 7 pounds. None of it water.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

on week two and it’s getting easier

weight is yo-yoing (but going down) but I “feel” changes to my physique so must be losing some

breakfasts are hard, tend to be either smoked mackerel or bacon and mushrooms, done porridge once (and hated it)

Lunch tends to be humous based or Tesco Taco beans

evening meal reaonably easy but requires some thought

the first 3-4 days are hard then it gets easier

also but a big training day in for your “eat anything” day to take advantage of the carb “high”

I’m after better suggestions for breakfast (not including eggs)

to understand better dishes for eve meals (is quinoa in or “out”?)

coffeeking: to be honest it’s not unhealthy (ie eat lots of veg) so I think it’s worth just focusing on the rules and see what it does. iDave is part of RST and RS isn’t an idiot so there will be a “method” behind the “madness”

my target is 90kg, so plenty of beans to come (25 kg off the waistline!)

coffeeking
    Free Member

None of it water.

Can you help me explain a 3-4 lb fluctuation virtually overnight if its not water (In me)? (its not the scales as my partner holds her weight constant on them)

Roblilly
    Free Member

Started 2 months ago at 96kg, just checked weight this morning at 85kg so it works for me. It took a week or two to get into it but I don’t see it as a diet now, I have changed the way that I eat. I don’t need to eat all the crap that I used to have!

bedmaker

108 kg down to 98 here over two months. Stuck to it pretty rigidly for one month then relaxed it slightly.
    By relaxing it I mean:
    -Milk in my tea, I’ve tried, but I just can’t grow to enjoy green/black/fruit teas
    -A dram every other evening

Other than those two things, I find it quite easy to cope with. I was bingeing on chocolate and sweets on my first few days off as I was really craving sweet stuff, but that craving has diminished now (not gone!)

Someone else mentioned trying to tie in the day off with a big riding day, that’s what I’m trying too. Seems like a good idea as I don’t eat much while out on the bike, normally just oatcakes, then have a guilt free feast after.

I’ve lost 3 inches off my waist so not water loss I don’t think.

Coffeeking, thats perfectly normal for me too, I don’t worry about it as long as the number is dropping long term.

10 down, 20 (ish) to go!

Wookster

Does work I agree but so does reducing calories and increasing exercise! Plus I’ll never eat chorizo again! Really pleased I did it started me off well and now just eating properly so weight still dropping. I can’t believe the amount and frequency of rubbish I was putting in my body!

Solo
    Free Member

Motivforz.

That Steak dinner looks gooooood.
    😉

Roblilly
    I have changed the way that I eat. I don’t need to eat all the crap that I used to have!
    Couldn’t have put it better myself.

Same too with Wookster.
    I can’t believe the amount and frequency of rubbish I was putting in my body!

Once you get into it, it is an eye opener. Well, it was for me.

I sympathize on the breakfast front. Difficult for some to break the pre-conceived idea that breakfast is a bowl of sugary, milky “goodness” that Nestle or Kellogs would have you think.
    But just remember that breakfast can be any food at all. Its just that you’re taking it first thing in the morning.

😀

ianpinder
    Free Member

My weight can fluctuate by 2kg day in day, have you have to see that as just stuff inside rather then your actuall weight. I did it for the first 3 months of the year and lost 30kg and gave it up for April. I have not put on any weight oberte month despite my eating habits being shocking. It was more a test to see what would happen when I stop the diet.

Anyway starting again in may, have another 30 kg to loose by august.

mogrim

On day 4, and it’s the breakfast that’s killing me, too – I really, really miss having a bowl of porridge or toast with jam, and a glass of apple juice. Switching from white to black coffee hasn’t been a problem, though.

The rest of the day hasn’t been a problem, it’s pretty similar to what I’d eat anyway.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Breakfast does seem the weak link in my view. Scrambled eggs? Needs chese. Poached with bacon sounds alright, but takes more time than toast and marmalade.

Porridge must be banned, surely?

iDave
    Free Member

*thinks mogrim should just eat a first lunch for breakfast….*

so does reducing calories and increasing exercise!

*thinks ‘I used to think that, but totally disagree that it’s particularly effective and easy – no need to restrict calories’*

Keva
    Free Member

yup no porridge at all if you wanna do it properly. A) it’s white carbs B) it’s made with milk- mostly, unless you’re being kept in captivity, held prisioner somewhere or something similar.

Kev

molgrips
    Free Member

To me this suggests it’s mostly water-based weight

When following the diet over several weeks my weight has continued to go down, so it can’t be water based. Plus I drink loads of water still. And over the Easter weekend I only gained a kg despite eating vast amounts of carby crap.

Remember that storing carbs requires water, isn’t it 4g water for 1g of carbs? I used to lose 1-1.5kg overnight every single night, but this has now stopped in recent years. It’s as if I were depleting carb stores over night.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I have some snake oil if anyone wants some. It may instantly give you the physique that you long for.

molgrips
    Free Member

Does work I agree but so does reducing calories and increasing exercise!

The diet is FAR easier though. Eating simple carbs makes your (or my) body really try to lay down fat, so you have to fight hard to beat that and then some in order to actually lose fat.

If you’re a fat couch potato eating junk, then of course eating well and exercising will work. However if you already exercise a lot and eat well and need to shift 5-10kg (like me) then you need to be cleverer, and this is how you do it.

Your body is a complex system of interacting hormones and chemicals – you can manipulate this system to get what you want, and one option you have is to adjust what you eat.

EDIT: SbZ, I have a small bottle of excellent grade 1 f*ck off if you are interested?

iDave
    Free Member

SbZ, you’re confused. Snake oil is fake stuff that has no benefit. Peoples experiences here suggest this works, or do you think that they’re lying?

Careful when you get to the edge of the world….

HTH

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Nah – not interested. Thanks for the offer though.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

iDave – what is the idea behind your diet? Just to make sure that i’m not being unfair to you.

molgrips
    Free Member

To be fair SbZ it is a bit ridiculous for you to come along and heavily insinuate that it’s all rubbish, when there’s tons of evidence to the contrary and clear physiological mechanisms to explain it.

EDIT: cross-post

donsimon
    Free Member

Is SbZ trolling again? 🙄

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Explain the physiological mechanisms to me then. I’m all ears.

molgrips
    Free Member

As I understand it:

The diet dramatically reduces the amount of insulin your body needs to create. One of the things that insulin does is encourage the use of blood glucose as energy (instead of fat) and another is to promote the storage of energy as fat. According to Wikipedia at least.

iDave
    Free Member

Just to make sure that I’m not being unfair to you.

Continual childish sniping and you take until now to admit you don’t actually understand what it’s about?? Priceless.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is that a safe thing to do?

I didnt say that I didnt understand it, I just wanted you to give me your version of the science behind it.

Solo
    Free Member

SBZ.

Why do you do this ?.

I suspect that you may be SFB, if so, I claim my 5 quid !.

Perhaps you’d like to get a life instead of making yourself look a complete tit, on this subject.

Don’t get me wrong, you don’t bother me. I’m just lost for a rational explaination for your stupid posts.

I can’t find a reason, to my mind, why someone would waste their time to hunt down threads and post negative crap into a discussion between those of us who think differently to you, on this matter.

Thanks 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,514 total)

The topic ‘iDave diet, who done it?’ is closed to new replies.