Home Forums Bike Forum Ice-tech rotors with center lock adapter

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ice-tech rotors with center lock adapter
  • Carl_419
    Free Member

Hi all, does anyone know if the shimano center lock adapter is compatible with the latest XT Ice-tech rotors (RT86)?
    I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t but I’ve seen a review on amazon suggesting they don’t.
    Anyone have any experience with this?
    Thanks

Carl_419
    Free Member

Seem to be having issues with posting… Can anyone see this?

belgianwaffle1

Yes I can see the post. Can’t help you though sorry.

argee

Tried it, works, but yes, you do get a slight lift due to the countersunk bolts in the adaptor, but again, the centerlock adaptor tightens down on those bolt heads and work, but it’s not a pretty look, been running it on an ebike (due to the magnet sensor being for 6 bolt!) and it’s not untightened, broken or had any issues for about 2 months in the current set up.

Carl_419
    Free Member

Thanks. So by that do you mean the adapter sits in the countersunk gap on the rotor just not flush? I only need one for the back wheel so it should be mostly covered by the frame.

argee

When you stick the adaptor on, the 6 smaller countersunk bolts you attach to the rotor sit just above the rotor, so when you tighten down the adaptor, it tightens down on the 6 bolt heads rather than the rotor, which you would get on a normal countersunk.

Not had any issues, my concern was having 1-2mm less threads of the centerlock adaptor tightening to the hub, but not had any issues and pretty much used it quite a lot over the last 2 months, same with any issues of aligning it to the caliper, no issues at all.

As with you, i have it on a rear, i bought the centerlock with the ebike magnet, but it doesn’t work on my bike, so had to do the adaptor to get it to work and it’s done the job.

unclesomebody
    Free Member

Sorry to resurrect this but I’m having a similar issue using a 6 bolt rt86 disc and the shimano rtad05 adaptor.

Are you still running your disc with the correct rotational direction? If I put it all together like that then the disc is too far from the hub center and rubs on my fork leg.

Which side of the disc did you put the adaptor on? The side which has a round countersink or the one with a star shaped countersink? A picture would be hugely helpful if possible.

unclesomebody
    Free Member

I found my answer on the shimano website https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m610/SM-RTAD05.html

There it says
    “Use this disc brake rotor adapter to attach the 6-bolt mount type disc brake rotor to CENTER LOCK mount type hub. Cannot be used with the 6-bolt disc brake rotor that is installed with an aluminum adapter (SM-RT86/RT76).”

Having just wasted a couple of hours trying to figure this out, I think it probably works on on the rear but definitely not the front. Oh well… Now to try and find a centre lock disc in stock!

poah
    Free Member

Used DT swiss centre lock adaptors with icetech rotors without any issues with a pike

unclesomebody
    Free Member

Thanks – good to know. Its a shame I bought shimano ones thinking they would be most likely to work with shimano discs…

dc1988

I was going to say that the Shimano CL adaptors can be a bit fussy, others are available that should work fine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ice-tech rotors with center lock adapter’ is closed to new replies.