Home Forums Chat Forum I want my boots back.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • I want my boots back.
  • zippykona

I’ve worn DMS most of my life. I was the only kid in primary school with them.
    The last time I went to buy some the price was absolutely **** mental and the sizing was all wrong.
    Hence I can no longer wear DMS .Until you start looking you don’t realise how difficult it is to buy some leather boots that arent lined with **** foam and nylon.
    I’m at a big trade fair and I would say 99% of DM wearers are women.
    The cultural appropriation of what was a man’s wardrobe staple into an ill fitting,high priced lady’s fashion accessory is what them idiots outside parliament should be moaning about.
    I WANT MY BOOTS BACK.

tomparkin

I don’t know about the cultural appropriation bit, but you can still buy Dr Marten’s esque boots from one of the UK manufacturers:

Mens

It could be that the prices look absolutely mental :-/ but I guess that’s a side effect of making things in Northamptonshire rather than overseas.

I have been wearing Converse this winter as a means of saving up for some :-D

I have a pair of these – they are safety boots, but if you can live with a big toe box – circa £90 iirc

DM's

timbur
    Free Member

What size are you?
    I’ve got a pair of brown ones in the shed with steel toe caps from memory.
    Found them too heavy to wear casually.
    They’ll be over 15 years old now.
    Tim

desperatebicycle

The cultural appropriation of what was a man’s wardrobe staple into an ill fitting,high priced lady’s fashion accessory

HA! Women have been wearing DMs since the 80s. Well, probably before that, but that’s when I noticed them! And they look a **** of a lot better on women than they do on you :P

cb200
    Free Member

I’ve heard that Solovair took over the old DMs factory in Northhampton including the equipment and machinery, so you can get UK made quality versions. No idea what they are lined with, and undoubtedly not cheap. Still, that may give you what you want and still retain your sense of individuality/masculinity.

Edit, sorry, didn’t see tomparkin’s link above

toby

how difficult it is to buy some leather boots that arent lined with **** foam and nylon.

Surely squaddie boots from any army surplus shop fit that bill for a reasonable price?

poly
    Free Member

I thought they were overpriced – then I say Greg Wallace on one of their factory tours. They are bloody artisan boots – essentially handmade in the UK! I’ve no idea if the sizing has changed to suit their market demographic but I’m pretty sure if you are willing to spend £100+ you will find comfortable footwear.

tthew

The Solovair versions are apparently properly welted, so you can replace the soles when they wear out. Expensive initially, but the liftetime cost shouldn’t be too horrific if you can get 2 or 3 repairs on them.

I’ve ordered a pair of these William Lennon 78TC’s in black after a recommendation on another thread. There’s a months long waiting list, I hope they’re worth it!

b230ftw
    Free Member

I have no idea why anyone would willingly wear DMs. The pairs I have had rip your ankle to pieces and plastering up your feet is a must until they break in, and even then they aren’t great. Had some as a teen and some more modern ones and they have all been awful.

zippykona

And while I’m at it, the amount of handmade boots that don’t have a bellows tongue…jeeezus!

Sandwich

Expensive initially, but the liftetime cost shouldn’t be too horrific if you can get 2 or 3 repairs on them.

The ‘Vimes’ approach to consumerism

chakaping

HA! Women have been wearing DMs since the 80s.

My first GF wore oxblood DMs.

Ahhh memories.

They were de rigeur for indie chicks in the ’90s. And ’90s style has been back for a few years now.

z1ppy

I thought they were overpriced – then I say Greg Wallace on one of their factory tours.

+1, find it on BBC Iplayer ‘inside the factory’ (yeah just ignore Gregg & enjoy the factory tours)
    Did you watch the mug one…mugs, who thought you could make an interesting program out of making mugs, it was fantastic! (especially the mug forming bit!)

chakaping

I’m not keen on the lace-up ones but I am partial to a chelsea boot.

Got some very nice Clarks ones which are heavily DM-inspired.

hatter

Yeah, Solovair for those that want the ‘old DM’s, from before the Permira buy out.

Or Red Wings if you really want to punish the bank balance.

kerbdog
    Free Member

They’ve been crap for years now really. I lived in DM’s most of my teenage years and wanted to buy a pair a year or so ago and like the original poster was really taken aback at how much they cost.

I think i may have had rose tinted specs on because they are pretty uncomfortable and the air sole is a joke. The fact that they’re very en vogue at the moment means that if you wait a month or two Ebay will be swamped with pairs that have hardly been worn.

bigblackshed

Now in complete contrast.

I used to wear DMs back in the 80s & 90s. Purely fashion. When new they’d cut your feet to ribbons. They only lasted one winter and cost about half a weeks wages. (To an under paid youngster)

I bought some 1460 in waxing brown about five years ago. Everyday wear during the winter and they have lasted and will last a good time yet. The sizing was stop on, not a plaster in sight. They cost a lot less than half a weeks wages. They had increased by about 50% in 25 years.

Most of them have been made in the Far East for years, except the Made in England range.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Good post.

I used to get mine from Holt’s in Camden. Which wasn’t like your Camden DM shop/theme park of nowadays.

We’re not target market any more.

I now wear Cheaney boots instead, for town/work use. Not cheap. But they last a long time; longer than my DMs used to last me, and are more restorable when needed.

the-muffin-man

Staple cheap school uniform of the 80’s…

Pop down to Yeomans for a Donkey Jackey, DM’s and a Canvas Rooksack.

At least canvas rooksacks are still only a tenner! :-)

https://www.military1st.co.uk/bp001-be-highlander-large-web-backpack-beige.html

drlex
    Free Member

^ that knapsack takes me back- spent hours with the felt tips inking the DK logo on mine.
    Back OT, bought solovairs for Mrs Lex at Christmas and one sole started flapping after three wears. Took a while to get it sorted, and although a repair was offered, looks like a new pair was sent. (More an RM Williams fan for my boots these days.)

Robz
    Free Member

You want to get some nice Red wings moc toe work boots – nae cheap but so comfy and last for ever.

Northwind

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

HA! Women have been wearing DMs since the 80s.

Yup. They haven’t been a “man’s wardrobe item” in my lifetime.

hatter

Red wings moc toe work boots…so comfy and last for ever.

The uppers, yes, but I seem to go through the crepe soles annoyingly quickly, at least they can be re-soled and yeah they are super comfy, the’yre not even too hard to break in.

ads678

The cultural appropriation of what was a man’s wardrobe staple into an ill fitting,high priced lady’s fashion accessory is what them idiots outside parliament should be moaning about.

Nah, women look great in DM’s. My wife had some back when we met when we were 17. Keep trying to get her get some more but shes having none of it, says she too old now. Shes only 46 and still has cracking legs!

Robz
    Free Member

Yeah the Red wing soles do wear but they are replaceable by a cobbler (or Red Wing).

drnosh
    Free Member

Canvas ex-mil pack.

Now you are talking.

I still use one from WW11, looped over my Barbour waxed jacket and riding my vintage motorcycle.

Never had the love for DM’s.

Preferred Lewis Leathers boots.

Dickyboy

Nah, women look great in DM’s. My wife had some back when we met when we were 17. Keep trying to get her get some more but shes having none of it, says she too old now. Shes only 46 and still has cracking legs!

Mrs dB just replaced her 20+ yo dm shoes with new & turned 54 last week 😊

LimboJimbo

Mrs LJ was mulling over getting a pair a while back and it turned out her old, UK made pair from the nineties were still in her Dad’s loft. Bit of balsam and elbow grease from me and she lives in them now. Her Dad was a factory floor manager and I think he put them through the books as general consumables. She’s 41 now and looks cracking in them TBF.

alpin
    Free Member

If you’re that particular get some made.

My old man used to get his smart shoes made for him up town.

sandboy

Mrs Sandboy has six pairs and Miss Sandboy wears them for school. They love them!

plus-one

I’m loving these boots at the moment. Prices have went up £62 I paid on Amazon few months back

Super comfy once worn in :)

https://highlander-outdoor.com/uk_shop/ranger-assault-boot-black.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxoiQBhCRARIsAPsvo-y-pXL6ozZsG-g2QMYb-4IBcci_9ICnUwtrEcCwy1RuDekToh7Kd7waAuhDEALw_wcB

the-muffin-man

Not sure how people are getting more than a couple of years from DMs – IME the sole wears smooth after 18 months or so when wearing daily.

murdooverthehill

Hence I can no longer wear DMS .Until you start looking you don’t realise how difficult it is to buy some leather boots that arent lined with **** foam and nylon.

Why don’t you put a sock in it

BillMC

Even when they were ‘made in England’ the soles came from China and the uppers from India. I seem to remember about 15 yrs ago the costs of materials was about 7 quid a pair. The Northamptonshire bit was sticking them together. They were never going to be much good.

poly
    Free Member

Even when they were ‘made in England’ the soles came from China and the uppers from India. I seem to remember about 15 yrs ago the costs of materials was about 7 quid a pair. The Northamptonshire bit was sticking them together. They were never going to be much good.

you should watch the recent inside the factory. The leather might be from Indian cows but its all cut and constructed in England. I can’t remember the exact process for the sole but they were definitely not just sticking soles to uppers.

Klunk
    Free Member

my mid 80’s german surplus paraboots bit muddy from last weekend at the beach, even after nearly 40 years the are still 99.5ish % waterproof.

airvent
    Free Member

I don’t know who DMs are meant to fit, I bought some recently as a throwback to my youth and found the toe box to be tiny and the heel massive it was like pushing my foot into a traffic cone.

dc1988

The inside the factory was quite interesting, makes me tempted to go to the factory outlet. Are the soles replaceable?

grum
    Free Member

I have these Chippewas – made in USA, they are lovely

Tempted to get some Altbergs customised for me though as I have weird wonky differently sized feet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘I want my boots back.’ is closed to new replies.